Notes of interest from Apple's Q3 2013 conference call

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Maybe. But then, how often does he go into product detail during an earnings conference call?
    Once products have been announced Cook and Oppenhemer will talk about them on earnings calls. For instance after the mini came out they explained/defended the $329 price tag on the quarterly earnings call.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    I'm sure someone here is keeping track of the number of times "We have amazing products in the pipeline" has been said without said products being delivered. And product refreshes don't count.
    So the new MacBook Air isn't an amazing product? Since when do you get to decide what does/doesn't count?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is pretty simple really, some of the chips Apple needs are scheduled for September delivery from Intel. So Apple could release products in the September/October time frame allowing for comments at the October quarterly.
    nagromme wrote: »
    October is in 3 months: the next conference call. And if he's "going into more detail" during the October call, that can only mean some new stuff is coming before the call. (Because he's not going to give details about future new products during a financial call.)

Kuo's September predictions do fall before the October call, so everything still fits. Some products we're wating for (Mac Pro) may come after that call, but Cook seems confident that some will already be on the market.
    Kuo's an idiot, he tries to pass off public industry knowledge as something only he knows about. It isn't worth your time to read articles generated by his press releases.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    I liked Cook's comment about if you make great products that people want to buy the revenue and profits will follow. Very similar to what Jony Ive said last year. Of course I'm sure Wall Street hates that mentality since they just want Apple to copy Samsung and flood the market with product.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    I haven't read those September predictions, however, in October I think Tim would only talk about what's happened in July, August and September. Not what's happening in October. And fall starts in September...
  • Reply 26 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm sure someone here is keeping track of the number of times "We have amazing products in the pipeline" has been said without said products being delivered. And product refreshes don't count.

Your idea of amazing and the rest of the worlds views in what is amazing don't jive. Refresh or not laptops like the new AIR are amazing. It is a massive jump forward in usability for those on the go.
  • Reply 27 of 49
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is pretty simple really, some of the chips Apple needs are scheduled for September delivery from Intel. So Apple could release products in the September/October time frame allowing for comments at the October quarterly.

Kuo's an idiot, he tries to pass off public industry knowledge as something only he knows about. It isn't worth your time to read articles generated by his press releases.

What press releases?

• Reply 28 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm sure someone here is keeping track of the number of times "We have amazing products in the pipeline" has been said without said products being delivered.

Zero.
    And product refreshes don't count.

Oh. Zero, then. Now shut up and go away.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Refresh or not laptops like the new AIR are amazing. It is a massive jump forward in usability for those on the go.

Yesterday was the first time I used my new Air in the office. I was amazed that after half a day's use (splitting time between it and my iMac) it was still at about 76% battery! It really is amazing.

What blows my mind though is how poor of a job Apple seems to be doing at letting people know about it. It is very well priced (they should have the kitchen sink unit stocked in stores though), and arguably a much better value than the Dells our office buys.
  • Reply 30 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

11M in iPhone channel inventory... does that seem high? It's almost a month's worth.

That's high for summer, but about what they need for the fall and the "back to school" season.

• Reply 31 of 49
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

With today's global communications one really should not refer to seasons or else you need to clarify which hemisphere, equinox to solstice. Tim, originally being a mid-western guy says fall when almost everyone else in the world would say autumn, however in Australia it will be spring and in the northern tropical convergence zone it will be the beginning of the dry season. Perhaps he should say the third season of the year but even that makes no sense in the equatorial regions of the planet? I don't know, I guess I just don't like the term "Fall". At least he followed up with the month of October, but it is still a little vague.

Don't be hard on yourselves, 'Fall' is a charming colloquialism, one that the rest of us are quite used to hearing/reading.

The consensus seems to be that this quarter could have been worse. Interesting the iTunes store success with 25% growth - people are prepared to pay for content, which is a nice reflection at least on Apple customers. :)

• Reply 32 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Yesterday was the first time I used my new Air in the office. I was amazed that after half a day's use (splitting time between it and my iMac) it was still at about 76% battery! It really is amazing.

What blows my mind though is how poor of a job Apple seems to be doing at letting people know about it. It is very well priced (they should have the kitchen sink unit stocked in stores though), and arguably a much better value than the Dells our office buys.

Apple could create some great advertisements around the 'ecosystem' of iDevices and the MacBook Air (and iMac). This has not been pushed enough. Advertising the MBA would make ads for the surface with its killer feature, a 'clickable' keyboard, look downright silly. (Well, sillier!)

• Reply 33 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Maybe. But then, how often does he go into product detail during an earnings conference call?

He'd do that because he will have new product SOLD before that call. Maybe even a new category of product... 

Apple's saved the best for the last half of the year. Meanwhile Uncle Fester is busy skating behind the puck and Samsung is poised to do whatever Apple does next.

• Reply 34 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

He'd do that... Meanwhile Uncle Fester is busy skating behind the puck and Samsung is poised to do whatever Apple does next.

Someone could start a rumour that Apple is working on an iBicycle and then watch the hilarity unfold. Samsung's would have bigger wheels and saddle, Google's would have a HUD and Microsoft, being a hardware company (sic), would have been working on one for the past decade. Apple having patents in the art (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/apple-granted-a-patent-for-an-intriguing-smart-bike-system.html) might validate the rumours.

• Reply 35 of 49
    Hong Kong... we saw a more dramatic downturn there, and it's not exactly clear [why].

It is coz hong kong people like large screen . Smaller screen looks cheap . Many people voted by buying s4 .

Why dramatic downturn ? Why people in HK like large screen?

Here are some reasons...
    1. Average age in HK population is around 40-42 years old. Eyes are weaken. Reading small letters in small screen is just pain in the ass.
    2. Majority of people nowadays do not make calls to extend possible unless for work.. they just text. Screen size as a phone is not longer relevant
    3. Apart from the phone( now is texting) function, they use the device for watching download movies/TV programs/ comics/ newspaper and playing games...all this functions go better with a bigger screen
    4. HK smartphone market is very mature. Set aside those trade current smartphone with a new one on regular basis, the growth sector lies in senior population groups (ages 50+). Many of them are new to smartphone and does not have any loyalty issue. Because of ages, they need big screen .

Last not least...hey HTC One really looks like an iPhone 6 in the appearance and feel, why still wait?

ps...I am still waiting
  • Reply 36 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Apple could create some great advertisements around the 'ecosystem' of iDevices and the MacBook Air (and iMac). This has not been pushed enough. Advertising the MBA would make ads for the surface with its killer feature, a 'clickable' keyboard, look downright silly. (Well, sillier!)

Apple's advertising, overall, has been pretty mediocre lately.

• Reply 37 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter524 View Post

Why dramatic downturn ? Why people in HK like large screen?

Here are some reasons...

1. Average age in HK population is around 40-42 years old. Eyes are weaken. Reading small letters in small screen is just pain in the ass.

2. Majority of people nowadays do not make calls to extend possible unless for work.. they just text. Screen size as a phone is not longer relevant

3. Apart from the phone( now is texting) function, they use the device for watching download movies/TV programs/ comics/ newspaper and playing games...all this functions go better with a bigger screen

4. HK smartphone market is very mature. Set aside those trade current smartphone with a new one on regular basis, the growth sector lies in senior population groups (ages 50+). Many of them are new to smartphone and does not have any loyalty issue. Because of ages, they need big screen .

Last not least...hey HTC One really looks like an iPhone 6 in the appearance and feel, why still wait?

ps...I am still waiting

What proportion of Apple's sales is in HK?

• Reply 38 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Someone could start a rumour that Apple is working on an iBicycle and then watch the hilarity unfold. Samsung's would have bigger wheels and saddle, Google's would have a HUD and Microsoft, being a hardware company (sic), would have been working on one for the past decade. Apple having patents in the art (http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2013/01/apple-granted-a-patent-for-an-intriguing-smart-bike-system.html) might validate the rumours.

Good idea.

Hey, did you hear that Apple's working on a bicycle? Built-in 4" touch screen to give you directions. Unfortunately, needs a third party map to show the bike trails, though. :smokey:
  • Reply 39 of 49
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    jmbarry wrote: »

This should be normal considering a new phone is coming out.  You get inventory up higher than usual, then you have a few weeks while you switch the lines over to the new phone.  It is normal business to have a month n the channel.  The difference with Apple's reporting is that you can see what was sold by taking shipped - in the channel (inventory) Others just report "shipped" and then channels stuffed with inventory.  Apple is right in line with this number.

Actually you would take Starting Channel Inventory + Shipments (-) Ending Channel Inventory to get a good idea of sell-through.

Since they started with 11M in channel, they sold pretty much they shipped.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    iqatedo wrote: »

LOL. Google would invent a self-riding bicycle that is prone to viruses. The viruses could be removed by rooting it only stupid people get viruses anyway. It would take pictures of everything and be really creepy.