Apple toying with larger iPhone screen and 13" iPad - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

1) The only reasons I can think of for a 13" iPad are:

- a drawing tablet for artists (assuming they are ready to add a pen and digitiser)

- it would be the first iOS device that would actually sport a "full-sized" keyboard (the wireless hardware keyboard size). 

2) I can't believe on the whole thread no one has made the obvious dumb joke ...

3) All the comments about making a more OS X like iPad, or a more iMac like iPad make no sense at all.  It would be far easier to simply add a touch screen layer to the iMacs and MacBook Airs of the world, than it would be to shoehorn an iPad into being the laptop it was never meant to be or the desktop it was never meant to be. 

• Reply 82 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Still waiting a coffee table running iOS too. :)

The original Surface!

• Reply 83 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And don't claim I've said things I haven't. In your model, they cut out a larger portion of the market than if they were to keep up what they're doing now.

How does adding a model cut out any of the market?  Are people going to boycott the iPhone when there are two different sizes for sale (or maybe 3 if they keep around the 4S)?  No.  Sales will increase because people who moved away from the iPhone to get a larger screen or people who never bought an iPhone simply because the screen was too small will now be back in the market for one.

• Reply 84 of 104
    simsonicsimsonic Posts: 29member
    It's hard to reason with Tallest Skil. The guy is a nut job. Some of us want a bigger form factor for the iPhone. It's about preference, plain and simple.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

He is very sensitive . He really is not a nut job at all. This is his opinion.

• Reply 86 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    How does adding a model cut out any of the market?

Because your plan kills off the $0 and $99 on contract models.
    Sales will increase because people who moved away from the iPhone to get a larger screen or people who never bought an iPhone simply because the screen was too small will now be back in the market for one.

How many times do you have to be told that that segment of the market is so small as to be meaningless?
  • Reply 87 of 104

Quote:

How many times do you have to be told that that segment of the market is so small as to be meaningless?

Where do you get your information?

Samsung didn't sell 10M units of the SG4 in one month because it was an Android. Some people want larger form factors.

So Apple should just make a 13" Macbook and stop producing the 15"?

Apple should just make the 21" iMac and stop manufacturing the 27"?

Have you heard of the iPod Classic. iPod Mini. iPod Shuffle?

Loving Apple doesn't mean you have to stand by every decision they make.

• Reply 88 of 104
    simsonic wrote: »
    Samsung didn't sell 10M units of the SG4 in one month because it was an Android.

Thanks for that. Did anyone claim that anywhere?
    Some people want larger form factors.

Some people want cheap crap. Can you state for a fact that your "reason" is correct?
    So Apple should just make a 13" Macbook and stop producing the 15"? Apple should just make the 21" iMac and stop manufacturing the 27"? Have you heard of the iPod Classic. iPod Mini. iPod Shuffle?

Notice that none of that has anything to do with the argument at hand?
    You are a sheep.

Thanks for outing yourself. Later, skater!
  • Reply 89 of 104
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

And dumb people want dumb things, yes.

Making the product that people tell you they want is the wrong thing to do.

... So? What does that have to do with anything, and what does that do to help your point? It's called being able to type quickly. I type with both thumbs on my first-gen. It's really the only way to type in a meaningful amount of time. Why is that somehow proof that a larger iPhone would be good at all, much less better?

How?

Your anecdotes are as admissible as everyone else's.

Just go away.

That answers the question you have always refused to answer. So you don't have an iPhone at all, not in any real sense since a 1st generation can't even use any modern apps or even close to the current version of iOS. What does it run iOS 3? Instead of telling people that actually own and use a  modern iPhone to go away why don't you put your money where your mouth is and buy one yourself. You love the current iPhone so much and think a larger screen is such a bad idea but haven't ever actually bought or used an iPhone as a phone. Why is that?  Why won't you buy an iPhone 5 or even a 4S if they are so perfect? Then perhaps you would at least have some actual anecdotes. Apple will release a larger version because they aren't idiots. They will likely not do it this year since they will first standardize on 4" and discontinue the 4S and introduce an iPhone lite also at 4". But rest assured that by next year Apple will have a much larger display option and will complete their product grid for years to come. 

If you actually owned and used an iPhone 5 or any iPhone running iOS 6 you would understand that many if not most apps now either look better in landscape mode and in fact many are landscape only without portrait even being an option.  But whether in portrait or landscape mode everything looks better on a larger screen. Unless Apple decides to price it far higher, a larger screened iPhone could likely sell at a far higher volume than the 4" version. Even you admitted to typing in landcape so of course a larger screen will make it easier to type since there is more room and less chance of hitting the wrong letter. 

• Reply 90 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Samsung didn't sell 10M units of the SG4 in one month because it was an Android. Some people want larger form factors.

Loving Apple doesn't mean you have to stand by every decision they make.

You are 100% correct. Many people that buy an S4, HTC One, and other phones did so because they had no choice if they wanted a larger screen. I myself am in this camp. My iPhone 5 seems tiny. I have friends with Android phones with larger screens and the experience is just so much better with a nice big display where everything is easier to see. Games especially benefit. Even typing is easier with more room and the number keys showing in another row. Browsing the internet means you can see more of the page with less need to scroll as often. Apps for smart phones 5 years ago tended to be far more aimed at portrait mode use but now the reverse seems to have happened and landscape seems to be winning out. 

The good news is that Apple knows all of this and they are not idiots. It probably won't happen this year since I am guessing they are waiting for IGZO to be ready and be able to shipped in quantity before they do it. I am on the fence since I desperately want a larger screen but also prefer iOS so it will be a tough call for me. I suppose since I have waited this long what is one more year but I am hoping the iPhone 5S at least includes many other enhancements if they stick with just a 4" screen.

• Reply 91 of 104

I see where your confusion lies. Apple won't be killing off the cheap models. They'll give new options with the iPhone lite or just keep the same models around for 3 years like they do now.

I think the market for a larger screen on an iPhone is substantial, but we won't know for sure until it arrives on the market. My guess is that you'll be eating a lot of crow.
  • Reply 92 of 104
    I think the market for a larger screen on an iPhone is substantial, but we won't know for sure until it arrives on the market. My guess is that you'll be eating a lot of crow.

How's that xMac treating you? It's the same situation.
  • Reply 93 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I see where your confusion lies. Apple won't be killing off the cheap models. They'll give new options with the iPhone lite or just keep the same models around for 3 years like they do now.

Substantial is a huge understatement. A larger iPhone is Samsung's worst nightmare. It would also probably seal the fate of HTC since people that want a large screen but a nice build quality would flock to a 5" iPhone. Right now the biggest draw that the Galaxy has over the iPhone is the screen size. Apple are pretty good at keeping up with all the other specs with the exception of display size. Apple would squeeze Samsung in their one profitable sector and the Chinese are squeezing them on the low end as well which would leave them no safe haven. It sucks to think Apple may delay the larger iPhone by a year since this would have been the perfect year given the blasé  reception of the S4 along with no major Andoid release. By next year the S5 could be a far tougher competitor since Samsung is likely to improve the build quality and make other improvements. 

• Reply 94 of 104

If you should be fortunate enough to reach my age (73), a point where visual acuity needs to be compensated for with larger images and typography, then perhaps you will by then have developed an imagination adequate to determine why some people need screens larger than yours. Consider, too, that as the mean age of the population increases, so, too, does the need of the general marketplace for improved rendering.

• Reply 95 of 104
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

And dumb people want dumb things, yes.

Honestly, who's dumb: The guy who thinks there's benefit to offering more than one version of a product (y'know, the way they do with computers), or the one who refuses to acknowledge that wanting something other than what Apple offers now is legitimate?

Quote:

Making the product that people tell you they want is the wrong thing to do.

I... you... wow. I have no words so I'll just stop right here.

• Reply 96 of 104

Quote:

Of course there is. What sort of nonsense statement is that?

Just be sure not to support your position with any opinions or data or anything...

• Reply 97 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Having TWO different sizes in a desktop/laptop machine is a very, very different prospect than introducing differently sized iPads.  Obviously.

I don't think that's obvious at all. What's obvious to me is that those who use computers as consumption and social interaction devices (as opposed to content creation machines) are migrating in droves away from traditional computers and adopting tablets instead. It may be argued that having only two choices in that burgeoning product category will miss a large slice of potential buyers.

We don't have only the MacBook Pro, we also have the Air. We don't have only the iMac, we also have the mini and the Pro. Different combinations of capabilities, size, format and price to serve different people with differing expectations. With the tablet being the only segment of the consumer computing market that's growing, why should it deserve less variety than traditional personal computers?

I would be much more likely to buy a 13" iPad than either of the existing sizes.

• Reply 98 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

The main difference is that the way apps interact with resolution on an iOS device is different than the way applications interact with resolution on an OSX device.

Sounds like a shortcoming in the OS. That should probably be addressed soon, since it doesn't seem like a good idea to let the OS dictate hardware development paths.

• Reply 99 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I don't think that's obvious at all. What's obvious to me is that those who use computers as consumption and social interaction devices (as opposed to content creation machines) are migrating in droves away from traditional computers and adopting tablets instead. It may be argued that having only two choices in that burgeoning product category will miss a large slice of potential buyers.

We don't have only the MacBook Pro, we also have the Air. We don't have only the iMac, we also have the mini and the Pro. Different combinations of capabilities, size, format and price to serve different people with differing expectations. With the tablet being the only segment of the consumer computing market that's growing, why should it deserve less variety than traditional personal computers?

I would be much more likely to buy a 13" iPad than either of the existing sizes.

I run into a LOT of people that STILL don't use a computer all that much, know how to properly use one or make rational decisions when it comes to buying them.

A lot of people still not that technically savvy.    For many, a tablet or smartphone gives them enough to do what they want to do and they don't want anything more.

• Reply 100 of 104
    v5v wrote: »
    Honestly, who's dumb: The guy who thinks there's benefit to offering more than one version of a product (y'know, the way they do with computers), or the one who refuses to acknowledge that wanting something other than what Apple offers now is legitimate?

The one who makes a product regardless of its worth, purpose, or utility.
    I... you... wow. I have no words so I'll just stop right here.

So every time that Henry Ford quote has been posted and every time the Steve Jobs quoting of the Henry Ford quote has been posted, you've just ignored it, huh? So everything Apple has done in the last 30 years you've just ignored, huh?
    v5v wrote: »
    Just be sure not to support your position with any opinions or data or anything…

Let's see… if there's no profit to be made in entering a market… why would you enter said market? :no:
    drblank wrote: »
    I run into a LOT of people that STILL don't use a computer all that much, know how to properly use one or make rational decisions when it comes to buying them.

A lot of people still not that technically savvy.    For many, a tablet or smartphone gives them enough to do what they want to do and they don't want anything more.

And by extension, they don't know anything more about what they want than "tablet" or "smartphone", right?