iPhone named 'Most Social Device,' leads mobile and desktop in Web content sharing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a cross device study, Web content sharing platform ShareThis found that iPhone users on its network are three times more likely to share links than a desktop, and 1.5 times more likely to do so versus all other mobile platforms.

ShareThis
Source: ShareThis

ShareThis, the company responsible for the embeddable content sharing button found on many popular websites, published the results of a 30-day study to its blog on Tuesday, which found Apple's iPhone to be the "Most Social Device" on its network of 2.4 million sites.

The firm monitored and compared 4.9 billion "social signals" originating from desktops against 1.2 billion signals from mobile devices in its attempt to better understand sharing patterns across its network.

Apple's iPhone racked up the highest per-device stats with 12.4 percent of users more likely to share while on the device. Second and third place went to Android and BlackBerry, which showed 7.4 and 6.3 percent, respectively. As can be expected, most mobile sharing went through social media websites Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Facebook, for example, accounted for 60 percent of all mobile sharing.

On the desktop side, Mac led with 5 percent, while 3.9 percent of PC users clicked the share button. Although mobile users are more likely to share links to interesting content, more Internet shopping is done on desktops.

The percentages were representative of an overall skew toward smartphones, which the study limited to iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry handsets. Mobile device users were almost twice as likely to share content versus desktop users. Overall, content sharing accounted for 7.7 percent of all mobile Web activity, compared to 4.1 percent on desktop.

One interesting metric was the split in content consumption as a function of device screen size. The study's data suggests iPad users browse and share more image-heavy content, like recipes and fashion, while iPhone users focus on socializing, listening to music, and reading news.

The report comes after Apple announced 31.2 million iPhones were sold during the second quarter of 2013, up from 26 million over the same period last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    One statistic in which I could care less about Apple being tops.
  • Reply 2 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sort of a conversation killer, but, oh well! 

• Reply 3 of 19
    nsgarvnsgarv Posts: 7member
    iPhone's are just so mush easier to use. Even messaging a link to a friend is cumbersome on android. I bet the statistics for sharing on pc's are disproportionately apple dominated as well.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

This says less about the iPhone than about iPhone users. It supports the narrative of an iPhone user demographic that is more engaged than users of other smartphones.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Is there a single thing or stat that Android users are "more likely" to do, beyond pirate? I think we get the point that iOS  users are pretty much more likely to everything and anything that's actually related to using their device and doing stuff. Android users I think largely fall into 2 categories- the uber geeks to root and constantly rom their devices, and general consumers who barely use their devices for anything other than the basics- or not at all. 

• Reply 6 of 19
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    freediverx wrote: »
    This says less about the iPhone than about iPhone users. It supports the narrative of an iPhone user demographic that is more engaged than users of other smartphones.

This, or because apple devices make it easier for sharing. Or a mix of both.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I feel this isn't something to be proud of. 'Web content sharing' in this context is a shallow and self-gratifying habit. Me, me, look at me!

And the 'sharing mechanism' needs to be easy for these needy people, so yeah, iOS is perfect for them. You have to take the rough with the smooth, I guess.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb123 View Post

I feel this isn't something to be proud of. 'Web content sharing' in this context is a shallow and self-gratifying habit. Me, me, look at me!

And the 'sharing mechanism' needs to be easy for these needy people, so yeah, iOS is perfect for them. You have to take the rough with the smooth, I guess.

Hmm.. when I found a good recipe I shared it to my friends who like cooking. Is this me, me, me??? Do you even understand the word "share"?

Frankly, sometimes I just couldn't understand humanity.

• Reply 9 of 19
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    How many versions of Android phones are out there?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    frxntierfrxntier Posts: 97member
    ochyming wrote: »
    How many versions of Android phones are out there?

There are currently 22 versions of Android phones out there. 5 of them still run Android Chocolate Mudcake with Cherries and Artificial Cream (v2.31.0009.02)
  • Reply 11 of 19
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Is there a single thing or stat that Android users are "more likely" to do, beyond pirate? I think we get the point that iOS  users are pretty much more likely to everything and anything that's actually related to using their device and doing stuff. Android users I think largely fall into 2 categories- the uber geeks to root and constantly rom their devices, and general consumers who barely use their devices for anything other than the basics- or not at all. 

Who cares. Android is winning /s.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

This report says that iPhone users are slightly more (1.5x) likely to click this particular company's buttons on websites to share content via Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.

SO IT ONLY COUNTS PEOPLE WHO CLICK WEB PAGE BUTTONS.

It cannot and does not count other methods of doing the same kind of sharing, methods which are often built into other phone's OSes.

E.g. I never click a website's button to do such sharing or note taking.  Partly because I don't always trust new websites, and I don't always want them to know what I'm sharing.

Instead, I use the built-in Android intent menus to do these common operations.

• Reply 13 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »

They're too busy socializing the old fashioned way, face to face. Countless times have I've seen a table full of people not talking to each other because everyone is busy typing away on their iPhones.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

But what about all the 10s of millions of Galaxy users bumping their phones together to share content? How can it possibly be that iPhones are used to be more social and to share content?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're too busy socializing the old fashioned way, face to face. Countless times have I've seen a table full of people not talking to each other because everyone is busy typing away on their iPhones.

Since when? When do fandroids have time to socialize when they spend all their time in mommy's and daddy's basement dicking with widgets and replacing their lock screens and launchers? Stereotypes. Hurr hurr.

• Reply 15 of 19
    mikejones wrote: »
    But what about all the 10s of millions of Galaxy users bumping their phones together to share content? How can it possibly be that iPhones are used to be more social and to share content?

Since when? When do fandroids have time to socialize when they spend all their time in mommy's and daddy's basement dicking with widgets and replacing their lock screens and launchers?

I seen what I seen, and I haven't seen anyone 'dicking' around with their Android phones as you suggest.

Bumping isn't web based so it wouldn't show up.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I seen what I seen, and I haven't seen anyone 'dicking' around with their Android phones as you suggest.

Doubtful that you've seen much of the outside world, then. The phenomenon you describe has nothing to do with iPhone users. Blackberry users were doing the exact same thing for years before the iPhone existed. Android users do it all the time too. Methinks you have a case of selection bias.

• Reply 17 of 19
    mikejones wrote: »
    Doubtful that you've seen much of the outside world, then. The phenomenon you describe has nothing to do with iPhone users. Blackberry users were doing the exact same thing for years before the iPhone existed. Android users do it all the time too. Methinks you have a case of selection bias.

I see much of the outdoor world because I work outdoors. I'll agree that it's not a new phenomenon but it has increased exponentially with the iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    There is but one company that produces the line in mobile called iOS. There are many who produce the lines called Android OS and there are many fractures across its lines much like a river with many tributaries that can lead the adventurer across dissimilarity climates. Both lines have their followers but only one is a club that is truly open to all its followers and that is club Apple. It is like a fraternity with a secrete hand shake. It is intrinsic to the nature of secrete clubs, like the familial rituals of some Masonic or religious family. One can learn of the secretes but one cannot be of the club unless one passionately understands the rules and handshakes of its order.

Therefore, it is understandable why such a company as Apple and its products speak so clearly across its social realm. There can be small side streams to the unified whole when, over time progress makes change a necessity but then the earlier streams become orphans that lose the understanding of new twists to the handshake, in this case caused by progress of the ritual handshake with improvements beyond the understanding of an older version. It means, that to be part of the living organism one must update ones systems to take advantage of progress, often demanding the passing of the elderly members either through death or renewal of ritual awareness as long as the elderly products can be updated for seasonal change.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Apple is so more social than the mishmash wannabe called Android.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mhikl wrote: »
    There is but one company that produces the line in mobile called iOS. There are many who produce the lines called Android OS and there are many fractures across its lines much like a river with many tributaries that can lead the adventurer across dissimilarity climates. Both lines have their followers but only one is a club that is truly open to all its followers and that is club Apple. It is like a fraternity with a secrete hand shake. It is intrinsic to the nature of secrete clubs, like the familial rituals of some Masonic or religious family. One can learn of the secretes but one cannot be of the club unless one passionately understands the rules and handshakes of its order.

Therefore, it is understandable why such a company as Apple and its products speak so clearly across its social realm. There can be small side streams to the unified whole when, over time progress makes change a necessity but then the earlier streams become orphans that lose the understanding of new twists to the handshake, in this case caused by progress of the ritual handshake with improvements beyond the understanding of an older version. It means, that to be part of the living organism one must update ones systems to take advantage of progress, often demanding the passing of the elderly members either through death or renewal of ritual awareness as long as the elderly products can be updated for seasonal change.

And that, in a nutshell, is why Apple is so more social than the mishmash wannabe called Android.

I would've bought this 15+ years ago but not now. Apple products are no longer a niche market and most of its current users not part of a clique.