Rumor: Apple to drop iPhone 5 in favor of 'iPhone 5S' and 'iPhone lite'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

I'm surprised there's so much disagreement here. I just assumed the plan was to drop the 5 and the 4S. They need TD-LTE support (and potentially a few other important hardware related things) across the whole lineup. 

• Reply 82 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jakeb wrote: »
    I just assumed the plan was to drop the 5 and the 4S.

As that's what they've never done, why would it be the plan?
  • Reply 83 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Funny thing is we had the nano wearable trend at some point, when it was a square.

Shuffles still are. Both wearable and square.

• Reply 84 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

I'm surprised there's so much disagreement here. I just assumed the plan was to drop the 5 and the 4S. They need TD-LTE support (and potentially a few other important hardware related things) across the whole lineup. 

Why wouldn't there be disagreement? After all, we are all guessing, and Apple does have a record of seeing logic that others miss, even those who are far better informed than people here.

• Reply 85 of 117
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I know everyone cites competition is good (Google, MS, etc.). But Apple, for many years had no iPod competition and yet re-designed/improved the best selling iPods almost yearly.

That's because the hardest competition ist always the iPod from last year.

• Reply 86 of 117
    zintharzinthar Posts: 20member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Why wouldn't there be disagreement? After all, we are all guessing, and Apple does have a record of seeing logic that others miss, even those who are far better informed than people here.

I didn't think this would be too hard to guess considering that it's a given that the plastic iPhone is coming, and it's unreasonable to expect that it's going to be simply added into the standard iPhone 5S, 5, & 4S lineup.  Does it then share the $0 subsidized price point of the iPhone 4S?  And why would Apple want to leave the iPhone 5 in the lineup when it's such a strong competitor to the iPhone 5S?  

Apple wants to be more competitive in emerging markets while simultaneously protecting their margins in developed markets as much as possible.  With the specs of entry-level phones entering a "good enough" phase for much of the market, the materials the phone is made with need to be the chief differentiator to get people who aren't tech-heads to splurge on the 5S.  And for those who don't care about the build materials and want the latest and greatest hardware, there will still be the spec difference as well.   

It's somewhat akin to when Apple was producing the plastic Macbook as a cheaper alternative to the Macbook Pro.  Raw performance was quite similar between the two, but the Macbook Pro had much better build quality, and a better display, keyboard, and trackpad.  Not to say that I expect that Apple will cheap out on the display of the plastic iPhone -- I'm sure it will be a 1136x640 IPS.  But perhaps it won't be an in-cell touch display, which would lower the production cost and thicken the phone slightly.  

Additionally, for price-sensitive emerging markets where conusmers are perhaps more apt to care about utility rather than aesthetics, the plastic iPhone with iPhone 5 internals is a stronger competitor to Android than the iPhone 4S would be in its place.  A price-reduced iPhone 4S and 5 aren't really necessary when there's practically zero competition in those price segments from high build-quality Android phones.  That competition is, for the moment, exclusively the domain of phones priced at $199/299 with contract.

• Reply 87 of 117
    zintharzinthar Posts: 20member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Where does the plastic iPhone fit in the lineup then?  Or do we just assume it's not coming despite a gazillion leaks because they've never done it before?

• Reply 88 of 117
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    This is such a load of nonsnense becauase Apple would put itself in the situation of having millions of unsold iPhone5's in the pipeline and on shelves which they would not be able to sell! Again the moron that thought this one up is a total dochebag and cannot see past his 80 IQ

Like the iPad 3, you mean?
  • Reply 89 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Tim uses Excel. Just my $0.02.

That was all you could comment on in reply? Sheesh!

• Reply 90 of 117
    joeliu58joeliu58 Posts: 19member
    iOS/iTune shall be Apple's core business! Software is where US companies has lead. Hardware is too easily to copy. Apple needs cheaper iPhones to gain market share. Investors has not realize the iTune/iOS "account/market" value. Apple claimed to have 1 billion registered users. If each account is valued at US100, the accounts are valued at 100 billion. Apple can simply buy a bank add an NFC chip and start a credit/charge business. Better yet revolutionize monetary system with all its cash reserve.
  • Reply 91 of 117
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    zinthar wrote: »
    Where does the plastic iPhone fit in the lineup then?  Or do we just assume it's not coming despite a gazillion leaks because they've never done it before?

Just because there are a gazillion leaks doesn't make any of them true.

We already know Techdy is producing these plastic shells and branding some for their clickbaited Android plastic iPhone knockoff.

It could also be them producing these leaks that follow the "leaked schematics." That would explain why the font is off and there is no FCC info on them.

Remember 2 years ago all the leaked schematics for edge to edge screened iPhones and tear drop iPhones? Nowadays anyone can make schematics and nowadays we have a company willing to trick people for website clicks and money!

Perfect storm for fake iPhone leaks IMO.

But with all that said I do believe we will see a cheaper iPhone this year to replace the 4/4S. But I believe and trust Apple that the phone will NOT BE PLASTIC.

joeliu58 wrote: »
    iOS/iTune shall be Apple's core business! Software is where US companies has lead. Hardware is too easily to copy. Apple needs cheaper iPhones to gain market share. Investors has not realize the iTune/iOS "account/market" value. Apple claimed to have 1 billion registered users. If each account is valued at US100, the accounts are valued at 100 billion. Apple can simply buy a bank add an NFC chip and start a credit/charge business. Better yet revolutionize monetary system with all its cash reserve.

That would be interesting if both new iPhones supported NFC. Apple was strangely quiet about passbook at WWDC.

Maybe we'll see more announced about mobile payment for potentially both new phones at the iPhone event? That would be game changing.
  • Reply 92 of 117
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    zinthar wrote: »
    Where does the plastic iPhone fit in the lineup then?

Hopefully nowhere.
    Or do we just assume it's not coming despite a gazillion leaks because they've never done it before?

The alternative–assuming it's coming because of a "gazillion leaks"–is stupid, as, again, "leaks" like this have happened before, and they were wholly fake.

It's just foolish to think that something which has never happened is more likely than something that has.
    joeliu58 wrote: »
    iOS/iTune shall be Apple's core business!

Great! They'll make no money. :no:
    Software is where US companies has lead.

Hardware is where Apple has a lead, too.
    Hardware is too easily to copy.

Lawsuits are equally easy to file. They're fine.
    Apple needs cheaper iPhones to gain market share.

Not really, no.
    Investors has not realize the iTune/iOS "account/market" value.

Because they're breaking even.
    Apple can simply buy a bank…

They can also simply start a permanently manned base on the Moon.
  • Reply 93 of 117
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

I don't see this happening at all. The reason for continuing to make older models and selling them for less is cost to manufacture. The longer you can use the same manufacturing lines the cheaper it becomes to make those parts/products. This is how Apple has been able to keep margins up so high - when they're low it usually means that they've released a new product and costs are high due to the cost of building out manufacturing for said product. This also explains why they decided to stick with same basic design 2 generations out and only then switch to a new design.

Here's what I think will happen this Fall...

The iPhone 5S will look identical to the iPhone 5, which will still be available, with contract pricing of $199 and $99 respectively.

The iPhone 4 will be dropped and the 4S will be phased out. (Apple is moving away from the smaller screen and the iPod dock.)

The iPad mini will be updated to a Retina display and A6X, sell for the current price.

The current mini will stick around with a single (black/white) configuration. Will sell for about $249.

The iPod touch will see a minor update and the prices will drop back down to levels they were for the previous generation; starting at $199.

An iPod "watch" will be released. It will act as a stand-alone iPod, but also be able to communicate with other iOS devices, so they won't have to be removed from you backpacks, bags, purses, or pockets. (I'm guessing Apple started working on this device when there was an interest in people wearing the "square" nano as a watch and this is why they changed the form factor of it last Fall, so they could eventually release an actual iPod for your wrist).

Then early next year...

Apple will release a new iPhone that is almost identical to the iPod touch in every aspect, except it'll be a little thicker, have less storage and of course come with cell radios - will cost $279 off contract, or $0 with a 2 year contract.

The iPad 5 will be released with "A7X Inside".

• Reply 94 of 117
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I don't know about all this. But if true, I suppose Apple wants two distinct up to date iPhone lines - the mid-tier and the high-end and not a fuzzy in-between, which is what the iPhone 5 would represent if left in production. Maybe it would confuse customers to have an already one year old model placed above a brand new iPhone 'Lite' in the range - or something like that. It would also mean that annual updates to the two distinct lines could take place, thus providing brand new models every year instead of 'pass me downs' like Apple currently does. Whether this is actually the better way to go...?
  • Reply 95 of 117
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    true of course, but the intellectual giant who wrote the article didn't even get that far in his "reasoning"
  • Reply 96 of 117
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Sounds believable. Crap, but believable.

It's what I've said all along, and no it's not crap. It's exactly what they should do.

The $99 iPhone lite is going be an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell. Why would they also have a $99 iPhone 5 metal?

No, this is the way to go.
  • Reply 97 of 117
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    I don't see this happening at all. The reason for continuing to make older models and selling them for less is cost to manufacture. The longer you can use the same manufacturing lines the cheaper it becomes to make those parts/products. This is how Apple has been able to keep margins up so high - when they're low it usually means that they've released a new product and costs are high due to the cost of building out manufacturing for said product. This also explains why they decided to stick with same basic design 2 generations out and only then switch to a new design.

Here's what I think will happen this Fall...

The iPhone 5S will look identical to the iPhone 5, which will still be available, with contract pricing of $199 and $99 respectively.
    The iPhone 4 will be dropped and the 4S will be phased out. (Apple is moving away from the smaller screen and the iPod dock.)

The iPad mini will be updated to a Retina display and A6X, sell for the current price.
    The current mini will stick around with a single (black/white) configuration. Will sell for about $249.

The iPod touch will see a minor update and the prices will drop back down to levels they were for the previous generation; starting at $199.

An iPod "watch" will be released. It will act as a stand-alone iPod, but also be able to communicate with other iOS devices, so they won't have to be removed from you backpacks, bags, purses, or pockets. (I'm guessing Apple started working on this device when there was an interest in people wearing the "square" nano as a watch and this is why they changed the form factor of it last Fall, so they could eventually release an actual iPod for your wrist).

Then early next year...

Apple will release a new iPhone that is almost identical to the iPod touch in every aspect, except it'll be a little thicker, have less storage and of course come with cell radios - will cost $279 off contract, or $0 with a 2 year contract.

The iPad 5 will be released with "A7X Inside".

No no no. You're overlooking the advantage of starting 1 new manufacturing process for iPhone Lite that remains the same for the next few years, with only a few new variables each year. Separate from that they have 1 manufacturing process for the year's flagship iPhone.

That's 2 coexisting processes, down from 3 required to main flagship, last year, and the year before.
  • Reply 98 of 117
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe because of the import ban that the ITC put on some of Apple's phones?

• Reply 99 of 117
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's what I've said all along, and no it's not crap. It's exactly what they should do.

The $99 iPhone lite is going be an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell. Why would they also have a $99 iPhone 5 metal?

No, this is the way to go.

Yep. No way could they sell the 5 as the entry level version. As it stands, people complain and return the 5 for minor scratches, especially the black one multiple times, what kind of profits could they possibly make there when they are sold as budget models?

Not only that, on the 4, if the glass broke, they just switched it out no problem. Just one piece. Easy. On the 5 what do you do with scratched ones? Re-anodize them? If there is a ding? Replace the entire rear assembly for minor issues? The 5 was just not thought out well. They cannot sell it at a discount. No way, no how.

• Reply 100 of 117
    It is very important for Verizon.

Customers do not like paying and whilst they fail to see the expensive contract as part of the price they are happy to accept a free cheap iPhone.
    The simply do not care that something like the S4 has a screen quantified as near 4 times as good. They simply want a free phone.