Apple issues developer site status update via Dev Portal homepage, launches system status tool [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an update to its Developer Portal webpage on Wednesday, Apple informed developers of the latest steps it has taken in getting the service up and running after the site was hacked last week.

Update: According to Apple's system status page, Bug Reporter is officially online.

Dev Portal Update

As seen in the above screenshot, Apple updated its developer Web portal landing page with a brief explaining what actions the company has taken to get the service back online. Developers are also receiving emails reflecting the same information.

The update comes nearly one week after Apple said an intruder attempted to glean sensitive user information from the developer website.

Current plans are to roll out updated systems starting with Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles, Apple Developer Forums, Bug Reporter, pre-release developer libraries, and videos. Those services will be followed by software downloads before bringing all systems back online.

In addition, the company has created a special system status webpage to keep developers in the loop when certain systems return to service. Currently, only iTunes Connect is fully operational.

As with previous updates, Apple apologizes to developers for the downtime, assuring them that memberships set to expire during the period will be extended and apps will remain in the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Great. Get it running already and drop iOS 7 beta 4.

• Reply 2 of 23
    Bug Reporter is back up too. I don't see any changes with it though

Edit: Looks like Mikey saw that at the same time and updated the story.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    1) Good job Apple. Seems they're working really fast, some are pulling all-nighters here.

2) Strange layout, this page:
    http://devimages.apple.com
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you miss the part where Apple wasn't actually hacked?

• Reply 5 of 23
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Looks like we are in for long wait. I wonder if we have to regenerate all our provisioning profiles and certificates.

• Reply 6 of 23
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Looks like we are in for long wait. I wonder if we have to regenerate all our provisioning profiles and certificates.

That's guess. One big headache if you ask me but whatever. At least it's not as bad as PSN crash last year. 

• Reply 7 of 23
    I've gotten 8 email requests about attempting to reset my password. I've made 0.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Can someone exain why updating their server software is necessary? Surely the world's biggest and most prestigious software company wouldn't have been running outdated software on their servers, would they?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BingeBoy View Post

I've gotten 8 email requests about attempting to reset my password. I've made 0.

So what? Someone has your user ID and is trying to guess your password. If you have a strong password you don't have to worry do you. I get the same thing on a semi-regular basis on my Yahoo email account. I also get the occasional email from a few other sites I visit saying an attempt was made to reset my password. The email always says to ignore the email if I didn't make the request. All this proves is that someone has your user ID. If they had your password or knew your security questions they would have already been successful in resetting your password. So they don't, do they.

• Reply 10 of 23
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Great. Get it running already and drop iOS 7 beta 4.

It's funny how whenever something breaks like this, some stupid, impatient, self-important selfish idiot always always makes some stupid remark similar to this.  I'm not saying it's you, mind you.  It could be anyone, but it's usually someone who hasn't got even close to the amount of talent, dedication and hard work that those trying to fix the broken thing for them have.  

• Reply 11 of 23
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's funny how whenever something breaks like this, some stupid, impatient, self-important selfish idiot always always makes some stupid remark similar to this.  I'm not saying it's you, mind you.  It could be anyone, but it's usually someone who hasn't got even close to the amount of talent, dedication and hard work that those trying to fix the broken thing for them have.  

I think the frustration is pointing straight at the loser that decied to 'Test' the security of the Dev site.

Apple is just reacting like any good company would, just sucks that the beta is delayed because of it.

• Reply 12 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    zozman wrote: »
    I think the frustration is pointing straight at the loser that decied to 'Test' the security of the Dev site.
    Apple is just reacting like any good company would, just sucks that the beta is delayed because of it.

Who says it's delayed? They said nothing of the sort and Mavericks DP4 went out just fine during this downtime. Maybe they just haven't planned on iOS 7 4 yet.
  • Reply 13 of 23

Quote:

Who says it's delayed? They said nothing of the sort and Mavericks DP4 went out just fine during this downtime. Maybe they just haven't planned on iOS 7 4 yet.

Yes we don't know 100% whether iOS 7 beta 4 was supposed to be released last Monday. But historically, Apple released their iOS betas every two weeks. The fact that Mavericks DP4 was released two weeks after DP3 confirm this pattern.

Mavericks was not affected because it uses the Mac App Store for distribution but with iOS they need to get the full iOS packages out for developers. The only way they've been doing that is by using the developers website and it's down.

• Reply 14 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nasserae wrote: »
    Mavericks was not affected because it uses the Mac App Store for distribution but with iOS they need to get the full iOS packages out for developers. The only way they've been doing that is by using the developers website and it's down.

What about the OTA updates from iOS 6 last year?
  • Reply 15 of 23

Quote:

What about the OTA updates from iOS 6 last year?

Even this year Apple pushed iOS 7 beta OTA updates. OTA updates work until you start having problems and need to restore from Xcode or iTunes. This is meant for developers and the complete iOS restore package is needed for troubleshooting. You also need new Xcode beta to go with it.

• Reply 16 of 23
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

Quote:

Does that really matter?, I'll answer too, No, not really, We don't know if its delayed but even if it isn't, we can't check because the site is down image

We know apple won't tell us.

• Reply 17 of 23
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    bingeboy wrote: »

So what? Someone has your user ID and is trying to guess your password. If you have a strong password you don't have to worry do you. I get the same thing on a semi-regular basis on my Yahoo email account. I also get the occasional email from a few other sites I visit saying an attempt was made to reset my password. The email always says to ignore the email if I didn't make the request. All this proves is that someone has your user ID. If they had your password or knew your security questions they would have already been successful in resetting your password. So they don't, do they.

I have this problem with my Scottrade account. Seems my user ID and old password is floating around since Scottrade was hacked. I rest my password with a really complicated one. Now my account gets locked for failed attempts as soon as I unlock it. I just leave it locked now as I have a second account I can login with and they are linked so I have full access. They really need a site key or something to keep these jokers from locking people's accounts. Internet site security is not what it should be on most sites.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Quote:

That's true, however the only reason it could go out during the downtime is the fact that you obtain it through the MAS.

• Reply 19 of 23
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

They must be upgrading all their platforms: database, web server, Java, middleware to the latest versions with all patches.

It won't guarantee them 100% security, but provided they keep up with patches from now on, only 0-days will work, which is a good as anyone can do.

• Reply 20 of 23
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    Working around the clock my ass.