Google likely to miss with next-gen Nexus 7, may set new Android standard with 'Moto X'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    4phun4phun Posts: 51member
    Isn't Asus the one that shipped ANDROID Nexus tablets with cheap SSD memory that began to fail with in a year? Why wasn't there a class action lawsuit against Google and Asus over that? Will Motorola now owned by Google be any better?

How soon everyone forgets tech history.

MicroCenter now has seven inch a Android Tablet starting at $49. That beats Frys $74 one.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

LOL. Last week i sent an email about aquariums on gmail. I am still seing aquarium ads all over the place when i surf the web. The top banner is about aquariums right here on AI.

What annoys the heck out of me is that ads keep popping up for things I'm no longer interested in because I've already bought them!

• Reply 43 of 99
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Nexus 7 is not really a Google product.  Show me a picture of Nexus 7 with Google logo on it. 

• Reply 44 of 99
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Nexus 7 is not really a Google product.  Show me a picture of Nexus 7 with Google logo on it. 

Wow. LISTEN UP, TROLLS: This is an excellent example of trolling. It might actually be the archetype. Learn from this, and then shut up and go away.

Thanks, tzeshan, for providing that example!
  • Reply 45 of 99
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    If you think this "..They have set up a lobbying firm which is disguised as a privacy NGO, which offers advice to MEPs legislating on privacy issues." is a common practice then by all means...

I have no idea who deemed it a disguised lobbying effort. Google doesn't appear to have been hiding their involvement.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    allenbf wrote: »
    Agree with Ming. HD screen is nice and they will sell a lot, but I'm more interested to see Moto X. I don't think it will really be an iPhone competitor, but I think it has the potential to gut Samsung.

I like what I see so far and for ME, after seeing iOS 7, stock Android is looking nice. Looks like I'm about to become a multi-platform user.

Moto X, iPad mini (hopefully retina), Macs and Apple TV, supplemented with Chromecast here and there. Beautiful world.
    Moto X at 4.5" will hurt mini iPhone sales less than if it was a 5" Moto X. Still be interesting to see a pure Android OS phone
  • Reply 47 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wow. LISTEN UP, TROLLS: This is an excellent example of trolling. It might actually be the archetype. Learn from this, and then shut up and go away.

Thanks, tzeshan, for providing that example!

You have the picture of Google logo on Nexus 7?

• Reply 48 of 99
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4phun View Post

Isn't Asus the one that shipped ANDROID Nexus tablets with cheap SSD memory that began to fail with in a year? Why wasn't there a class action lawsuit against Google and Asus over that? 

Because it wasn't about "cheap" memory.  That claim was technically ignorant.

It was a bug in some versions of chip controller software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

What annoys the heck out of me is that ads keep popping up for things I'm no longer interested in because I've already bought them!

Ah, but they pay for AI.  :)

Seriously, if it's really annoying, try going to your Google Dashboard and go into the ad section and remove your search history.  If that's where it's coming from, you'll go back to seeing generic ads that you're really not interested in :)

• Reply 49 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Ah, but they pay for AI.  :)

Seriously, if it's really annoying, try going to your Google Dashboard and go into the ad section and remove your search history.  If that's where it's coming from, you'll go back to seeing generic ads that you're really not interested in :)

Personally, I don't think I've ever been prompted to buy something or use a service that was advertised to me in an ad on a web page. I realize they're paying for AI, but sometimes I think I'd rather just pay a subscription fee for access to a website I really enjoy.

• Reply 50 of 99
    You have the picture of Google logo on Nexus 7?

Holy frick. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you weren't joking?! :no:

• Reply 51 of 99
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Kind of misleading, and wrong post. For example, my TV has HDMI and USB (as do most). So it will have one small cable from the Chromecast to the USB. On the BACK of the TV.

Nice try, though.

It connects via HDMI not USB, there is a Mini-USB in the back but it is for power.
  • Reply 52 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Holy frick. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you weren't joking?! image

The Chromecast does not have a Google logo on it either.  I know what game Google is playing.  If there is a Google logo on it then Google is fully responsible for the device like Apple. 

• Reply 53 of 99
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    The Moto X is a meh product based around last generation specifications. However it might be nicely pitched at the mass market if the price is right.

The new Nexus 7 OTOH looks rather good for the price. Shame it's 7".
  • Reply 54 of 99
    hattighattig Posts: 860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

OT. Now I know why it's only $35. 

HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.

I think they would have been better off making it into a small AppleTV-esque box. That still has a cable to the TV, and to the plug socket, but doesn't look so awkward.

Still, if your TV has a USB port it can power itself off that rather than the power adaptor.

The true fault, of course, is that HDMI cannot supply power to an attached device.

• Reply 55 of 99
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I was curious about the Moto X so did a little research. It is not meant to compete with the S4, HTC One, or even High end Motorola phones. But it does have very impressive specs for a phone at only $299 off contract for the 16GB and $349 for 32GB. It blows aways the specs of most other Android phone sold for less than $500. 

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/motorola/motorola-x/19975/moto-x-specs-price-and-release-date-rumours

• Reply 56 of 99
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Personally, I don't think I've ever been prompted to buy something or use a service that was advertised to me in an ad on a web page. I realize they're paying for AI, but sometimes I think I'd rather just pay a subscription fee for access to a website I really enjoy.

Come to think of it, what happened to the paid subscriptions here?  

I always had one, but it seems to be gone now.  

Are they still available?

• Reply 57 of 99
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    relic wrote: »
    It connects via HDMI not USB, there is a Mini-USB in the back but it is for power.

That is what I was saying.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    I know what game Google is playing.  If there is a Google logo on it then Google is fully responsible for the device like Apple. 

Except only an idiot would think that would hold up in court. Every single facet of both devices is Google's responsibility.
  • Reply 59 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Seriously, if it's really annoying, try going to your Google Dashboard and go into the ad section and remove your search history.

Search history? I understood that he used gmail and after that the ads started to appear, which means Google scans email. Not cool.
    rob55 wrote: »

Bingo. That's why I don't like stuff that's free. Because there is no such thing. Someone, somewhere, put in an effort. And that has to be paid for. In whichever way.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Google has become big as well, but for all the wrong reasons. I somehow wish companies, all of them, would create products and services that wouldn't need advertising: it would sell on its own. And Google would disappear into irrelevance.

Yet here we are with Apple beginning a more serious push into working with advertisers to deliver better targeted ads using more granular location and search data gathered from their users, putting more effort and emphasis on monetizing their user-base.

If that's the case, so be it. At least they don't seem to scan my email. And if they'd start, I'd use a different service. Or my own. But how to circumvent search. DuckDuckGo.com?