Google likely to miss with next-gen Nexus 7, may set new Android standard with 'Moto X'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    tikimantikiman Posts: 68member
    Why is it that we accept analyst views when they are anti-Google but not when they are anti-Apple?
  • Reply 62 of 99
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tikiman View Post

Why is it that we accept analyst views when they are anti-Google but not when they are anti-Apple?

Taking a gander at the URL you're sitting on might offer a clue.

• Reply 63 of 99
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

Have I missed something on MotoX? 326ppi screen.. 5mp camera... Sound like the 3 year old iPhone 4. What is so amazing about this phone? Besides the always listening... Which to be honest I assume will just drain battery life. How hard is holding a button (Siri), have we really gotten THAT lazy? Imagine if your phone is on the coffee table and you're having a chat to someone and your phone starts googling random shit? No thank you.

You did miss something. It's a 10mp camera that uses clear filters to let in 50% more light for vastly improved low light performance. The always listening will drain essentially zero battery with the new optimized low-power dedicated CPU core. I fully expect Apple do implement something very similar in terms of separate cores dedicated to specific tasks. Look up the X8 computing structure. It's pretty nifty. The "hot word" to start listening can be user programmed to anything you want so that it is unique enough that it will never come up in conversation.

Being able to have your phone read back to you notification or texts while it's still in your pocket is kinda cool.

And FYI, its a 4.7" screen and has the most powerful GPU that can be had in a phone today.

• Reply 64 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

No. The point is it uses off-the-shelf parts with no design at all put into it. Looks at all those butt-ugly components.

Who cares what it looks like? It's entirely behind your TV and you'll only have to see it once when you plug it in. I'd rather they have kept the utilitarian look and keep cost down than waste money on making a device you never have to see look 'pretty'. I really like that it's not another device to store on my TV stand and try and find an open outlet for. That's the great thing about consumer choice. We have so many options these days.

• Reply 65 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    potatoman wrote: »
    Have I missed something on MotoX? 326ppi screen.. 5mp camera... Sound like the 3 year old iPhone 4. What is so amazing about this phone? Besides the always listening... Which to be honest I assume will just drain battery life. How hard is holding a button (Siri), have we really gotten THAT lazy? Imagine if your phone is on the coffee table and you're having a chat to someone and your phone starts googling random shit? No thank you.

You did miss something. It's a 10mp camera that uses clear filters to let in 50% more light for vastly improved low light performance. The always listening will drain essentially zero battery with the new optimized low-pore dedicated CPU core. I fully expect Apple do implement something very similar in terms of separate cores dedicated to specific tasks..

The iPhone already has this. There's a separate CPU for the baseband, and another one for the OS and apps.

I think the poster got mixed up with yesterday's announcement of that tablet.
  • Reply 66 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The iPhone already has this. There's a separate CPU for the baseband, and another one for the OS and apps.

I think the poster got mixed up with yesterday's announcement of that tablet.

Not even in the same ballpark buddy. The Moto X has 8 cores. 2 for apps, 4 for graphics, 1 for contextual processing, 1 for language processing. With the last two being very low powered so they can be always on and not use any battery.

• Reply 67 of 99
    I think is a great tablet. Android OS beats iOS in everyrthing plus simply look at the specs it outperforms any iDevise. Plus who needs anyways an analyst to project sales and popularity of a product? It is us the people who decide. Maybe they try to brainwash us and always buy Apple. I am no iSheep.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    You sure
    allenbf wrote: »
    Kind of misleading, and wrong post. For example, my TV has HDMI and USB (as do most). So it will have one small cable from the Chromecast to the USB. On the BACK of the TV.

Nice try, though.

Even at $35 it is a rip off.

Kind of wonder why people are complaining Apple's products are expensive.
  • Reply 69 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

You sure

Even at $35 it is a rip off.

Kind of wonder why people are complaining Apple's products are expensive.

How is a $35 version of Apple's $100 Apple TV a rip off? Because it does so in a smaller package?

• Reply 70 of 99
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Search history? I understood that he used gmail and after that the ads started to appear, which means Google scans email. Not cool.

Every email provider automatically scans mail.  Most do it only for viruses and spam (remember the big hullabaloo when people found out Apple's server was deleting emails containing "barely legal teen"?).  However, I've read that Google's hotword scanner also uses it for ads.  I think that you can change that by signing into your ad controls at the URL below, and going down to the "opt out" section:

https://www.google.com/settings/ads/preferences?hl=en

You can also see the ad interest profile they've built up on you, and delete the categories you don't care about any more.  (I do that whenever I get too many ads about something I've already bought.)

I wish Apple had a similar dashboard for the iAds profile they've built up using iTunes, etc.

Quote:

Bingo. That's why I don't like stuff that's free. Because there is no such thing. Someone, somewhere, put in an effort. And that has to be paid for. In whichever way.

That's a good point that many forget... that someone has to pay somewhere.

But, hmm.  Aren't you using this website for free?   Also Wolfram Alpha, Yahoo and Google via Siri for free?  You must not be too much against free.

• Reply 71 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Referring to something like the MotoX It's actually the smartphone locally listening for instructions from the user and locally processing voice commands, not "Google listening".

So how come voice commands and translation doesn't work on my Galaxy S4 unless there is an Internet connection?

• Reply 72 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So how come voice commands and translation doesn't work on my Galaxy S4 unless there is an Internet connection?

Because it's not the Moto X, which apparently uses an onboard low-power processor to constantly listen for the wake up phrase.

• Reply 73 of 99

Quote:

You're mixing up multiple topics here.

You don't have a Moto X with the 8X computing SoC,

Samsung decided to make it's own voice recognition (S-Voice) software and it blows.

Google's voice recognition has been available offline for about a year now.

• Reply 74 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Because it's not the Moto X, which uses an onboard low-power processor to constantly listen for the wake up phrase.

So you don't think the Moto X will be as big a piece of shit as this:-

Hey what Antivirus do you recommend, I noticed quite a few in the play store in among the crappy live wallpapers and how come Adblock isn't there any more?

Is that Google's "walled garden"?

• Reply 75 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You're mixing up multiple topics here.

You don't have a Moto X with the 8X computing SoC,

Samsung decided to make it's own voice recognition (S-Voice) software and it blows.

Google's voice recognition has been available offline for about a year now.

How come this S4 lags, especially the camera?

Is that due to the "off the shelf" Qualcomm CPU in the LTE version?

Will the 8 core Moto X have LTE or will they have two (or more) models like Samsung does?

All you acolytes say these are the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think Apple has much to worry about with Android still being such a steaming pile, apart from all the lame Google supporters attempting brainwashing in fora across the Internet that is.

• Reply 76 of 99

Quote:

S-Voice uses Nuance, same as their smart TVs, and the same as Apple's Siri.  

Nuance doesn't seem to be as good a recognition engine as what Google created.

Quote:

... trolling...

Don't know.  Don't care.  I'm not here to convince anyone to use or to like (or to hate) anything.   I'm sure you're old enough to make up your own mind.

• Reply 77 of 99

Quote:

How come this S4 lags, especially the camera?

Is that due to the "off the shelf" Qualcomm CPU in the LTE version?

Will the 8 core Moto X have LTE or will they have two (or more) models like Samsung does?

All you acolytes say these are the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think Apple has much to worry about with Android still being such a steaming pile, apart from all the lame Google supporters attempting brainwashing in fora across the Internet that is.

Because Samsung puts a UI skin on top of android that is absolutely terrible. And it has twice as many pixels to push as the iPhone 5 does.

The moto X has LTE. Look at the universal LTE chip in the Nexus 7. Might even be that exact chip. Probably will be the exact chip that will go into the iPhone 5S.

And the dedicated low power CPU cores to always on tasks is the future. I am positive they will come to an Apple device soon.

• Reply 78 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

S-Voice uses Nuance, same as their smart TVs

The problem is Samsung has their own programming that needs to change the recognized words into the proper outputs and actions. Samsung has completely failed at this part. Even if it hears every word correctly, S-Voice still fails all the time.

• Reply 79 of 99
    trd105trd105 Posts: 13member

Quote:

Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

Huge bezels hide a lot, like the need to pack a much larger battery to power that higher res display. 

But it actually has a smaller battery than the original Nexus 7 so what exactly is it housing?

• Reply 80 of 99

Quote:

Because Samsung puts a UI skin on top of android that is absolutely terrible. And it has twice as many pixels to push as the iPhone 5 does.

The moto X has LTE. Look at the universal LTE chip in the Nexus 7. Might even be that exact chip. Probably will be the exact chip that will go into the iPhone 5S.

And the dedicated low power CPU cores to always on tasks is the future. I am positive they will come to an Apple device soon.

I used a launcher to skin it with stock Jellybean, like my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

Lags, lags, lags.

Almost everything is duplicated on this piece of junk, which would explain why this 16GB phone only has a little over 8GB of free space.