Verizon asks Obama to intervene in Apple v. Samsung case, prevent impending iPhone ban

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon's top lawyer penned an editorial this week asking President Barack Obama to prevent the U.S. International Trade Commission from barring the sales of some older iPhones.

ITC

The ITC ruled in June that the AT&T versions of Apple's iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G all infringe on patents owned by Samsung, and that the devices must be banned from sale by Aug. 5. While the decision doesn't affect Verizon directly, the company's general counsel, Randal S. Milch, published an editorial in The Wall Street Journal this week calling on the Obama administration to veto the ITC's decision.

"Patent litigation at the ITC ??where the only remedy is to keep products from the American public ? is too high-stakes a game for patent disputes," Milch wrote. "The fact that the ITC's intellectual-property dispute docket has nearly quadrupled over 15 years only raises the stakes further. Smartphone patent litigation accounts for a substantial share of that increase."

While Verizon opposes the ban because of the precedent it would set, the carrier has not taken a position on the larger Apple v. Samsung patent dispute. The carrier simply believes that the Obama administration should do its part to discourage companies from "clogging the ITC's docket" with such patent infringement complaints.

Such a move would be rare ? no president has vetoed an ITC decision since 1987. But no precedent has been set for patent infringement cases, which is where Verizon believes the president should set the tone on three specific instances:
  • When the patent holder isn't practicing the technology itself.
  • When the patent holder has already agreed to license the patent on reasonable terms as part of standards setting.
  • When the infringing device of the product isn't that important to the overall product, and doesn't drive consumer demand for the product at issue.
Apple, too, is attempting to fight the ITC ban, and has filed a stay in opposition. The company has said the ban would "sweep away an entire segment of Apple's product offerings," and negatively impact its carrier partners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Didn't Verizon get the memo that no one wants iPhones anymore and that Apple is in a death spiral?

• Reply 2 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    See, even [B][I]non[/I][/B]-end users want the iPhone. I've never heard of any reseller or telco wanting to stop an Android ban.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Android users are all Obama haters already so it won't impact his ratings.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Interesting position VZ is taking. I wonder what the bigger game that is at play here.

I agree that VZ lawyer's approach to this is reasonable.

• Reply 5 of 47
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Didn't Microsoft win a case against Motorola where the ITC was supposed to ban Motorola phones coming into the country but hasn't, supposedly due to closed door meetings between the government and Google? If they don't ban the Motorola phones how can they get away with banning the iPhones?
  • Reply 6 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

No. Just no. Preference in politician has nothing to do with preference in smart phone. 

• Reply 7 of 47
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    "Interesting position VZ is taking. I wonder what the bigger game that is at play here."

The bigger picture has to do with a ban over FRAND/SEP patents, something the current administration (and possible previous ones) disagrees with. The ITC has made a huge statement, which doesn't necessarily agree with their other decisions, and this is what Verizon and Apple are arguing against. Samsung is not complying with government regulations dealing with FRAND but the ITC refuses to accept this. Samsung has some 3G patents that are required by all cellphone vendors that were accepted as standards and yet they are holding Apple hostage over them demanding a ridiculous amount of money for each handset over something that is a very small part of the entire device. Verizon could be next in line for any FRAND patent and they don't want to see phones they are trying to sell banned.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Let's all agree to not make this a republican/democrat war.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Link?
  • Reply 10 of 47
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

I agree with Verizon here. The ITC is trying to ban a product that used patents that were FRAND. Just because the company offering their patents to be part of a standard and then deny fair and reasonable licensing on that patent, does not mean they should be allowed to ban the product. It means there was a failure in the negotiations of the two companies and the ITC (or the courts in general) are being used as pawns in anti-competitive behavior. Who makes the call on that then? The president, or a president in my opinion.  If the world courts are inhibiting marketplace dynamics, then yes, something needs to be done to prevent this in the future.

• Reply 11 of 47
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Let's all agree to not make this a republican/democrat war , What would be the fun in that?
  • Reply 12 of 47
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member

Verizon probably assumes their versions would be next. I'm not sure, I honestly cannot remember this patent ruling.

• Reply 13 of 47
    shrimpshrimp Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

Didn't Verizon get the memo that no one wants iPhones anymore and that Apple is in a death spiral?

Didn't you get a memo from your doctor that day dreaming doesn't help your health condition ?

• Reply 14 of 47

Quote:

Most of them. 100% Agree! Android users are poor and they hate Obama for his economic policies lol

• Reply 15 of 47
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Quote:

Just for kicks I looked up maps to compare mobile OS dominance and 2012 Presidential election results by state:

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/

http://www.mobify.com/blog/ios-vs-android-in-2012/

Some results:

Alaska: Republican - iOS

California: Democrat - Android

Florida: Democrat - Android

Kentucky: Republican - iOS

Maine: Democrat - iOS

Michigan: Democrat - Android

Mississipi: Republican - iOS

New Mexico: Democrat - iOS

New York: Democrat - iOS

Ohio: Democrat - Android

Oklahoma: Republican - iOS

Pennsylvania: Democrat - iOS

Texas: Republican - Android

Virginia: Democrat - Android

Washington: Democrat - Android

• Reply 16 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimp View Post

Didn't you get a memo from your doctor that day dreaming doesn't help your health condition ?

No, my doctor was too busy to see me. He was preparing for the all-day surgery needed to fix your sarcasm detector.

• Reply 17 of 47
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleFanPro View Post

No. Just no. Preference in politician has nothing to do with preference in smart phone. 

I wouldn't say "nothing". Actually, I think there is a correlation.   I'd like to see a poll. It would be interesting.

• Reply 18 of 47
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

There was a tweet map a few weeks ago. It appeared to show that Android dominating rural America and iOS dominating the cities.  

http://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#5/38.000/-95.000

• Reply 19 of 47
    shrimpshrimp Posts: 22member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

No, my doctor was too busy to see me. He was preparing for the all-day surgery needed to fix your sarcasm detector.

I can tell your doctor has given up on you...

• Reply 20 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrimp View Post

I can tell your doctor has given up on you...

Maybe. Or he just sees more profit potential from you.