Google likely to miss with next-gen Nexus 7, may set new Android standard with 'Moto X'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Hey what Antivirus do you recommend, I noticed quite a few in the play store in among the crappy live wallpapers and how come Adblock isn't there any more?

Is that Google's "walled garden"?

I don't like the S4. Samsung destroyed a great device with their terrible software. Download and put stock android on it and then see how it works.

As for antivirus, they are completely useless. I installed one for about 15 minutes after 2 years and hundreds of apps installed and it found absolutely nothing. Because there was nothing ever to find.

The Goole app store terms have been the same since it came out. No apps that block ad domains. Google just didn't enforce it until recently. Google is an ad based company, it's surprising it wasn't removed earlier. Fortunately, Android makes it pretty easy to get Adblock on your own, which I have done.

• Reply 82 of 99
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Don't know.  Don't care.  I'm not here to convince anyone to use or to like (or to hate) anything.

So why waste time coming to this site and constantly harping on about how wonderful Google is?

Mind made up...

/blocked.

• Reply 83 of 99

Quote:

I used a launcher to skin it with stock Jellybean, like my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

Lags, lags, lags.

Almost everything is duplicated on this piece of junk, which would explain why this 16GB phone only has a little over 8GB of free space.

You're actually dumb enough to think that putting a third UI layer on top of samsung's crappy touch wiz on top of android was going to help? They ruined it!

You have just listed 3 times as many android devices as I have ever owned. Sounds like you can't be that unhappy with the experience.

• Reply 84 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

You're actually dumb enough to think that putting a third UI layer on top of samsung's crappy touch wiz on top of android was going to help? They ruined it!

You have just listed 3 times as many android devices as I have ever owned. Sounds like you can't be that unhappy with the experience.

I get given them.

• Reply 85 of 99

Quote:

I get given them.

Lucky you. If you get the moto X want to send it my way? Haven't really had an Android phone that has interested me since I got my (now two year old) Galaxy nexus other than the Moto X.

• Reply 86 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    The iPhone already has this. There's a separate CPU for the baseband, and another one for the OS and apps.

I think the poster got mixed up with yesterday's announcement of that tablet.

[SIZE=12px]Not even in the same ballpark buddy. The Moto X has[/SIZE] 8 cores. 2 for apps, 4 for graphics, 1 for contextual processing, 1 for language processing.<span style="font-size:12px;line-height:14px;"> With the last two being very low powered so they can be always on and not use any battery.</span>

Ooh, that's a good point. Thanks for posting, I haven't read the spec sheet. Quite amazing that they get 9 or 10 hours out of the battery.
  • Reply 87 of 99
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Every email provider automatically scans mail.  Most do it only for viruses and spam (remember the big hullabaloo when people found out Apple's server was deleting emails containing "barely legal teen"?).  However, I've read that Google's hotword scanner also uses it for ads.  I think that you can change that by signing into your ad controls at the URL below, and going down to the "opt out" section:

<a href="https://www.google.com/settings/ads/preferences?hl=en" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:12.222222328186035px;line-height:20px;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(0,83,153);" target="_blank">https://www.google.com/settings/ads/preferences?hl=en</a>;

You can also see the ad interest profile they've built up on you, and delete the categories you don't care about any more.  (I do that whenever I get too many ads about something I've already bought.)

I wish Apple had a similar dashboard for the iAds profile they've built up using iTunes, etc.

Thanks for the link, I already do this though. Both at Google and Apple.
    Bingo. That's why I don't like stuff that's free. Because there is no such thing. Someone, somewhere, put in an effort. And that has to be paid for. In whichever way.

That's a good point that many forget... that someone has to pay somewhere.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">But, hmm.  Aren't you using this website for free?   Also Wolfram Alpha, Yahoo and Google via Siri for free?  You must not be too much against free.</span>

[/quote]

No, I don't like free. If this website was a paid one, I'd list up, and wouldn't have to deal with the large amount of posts. Or at least, I presume the number would be lower. This is not to say I think people post crap, I do that myself, quite often. I just don't like free.

Siri via Google. Good question. I guess Apple figures I already paid for it when I got the iPhone and iPad. Yahoo certainly has been embedded on the iPhone from the start. Wolfram Alpha, I guess we pay for it with the price increase for the iPhone; it certainly has become more expensive off contract over here in NL.
  • Reply 88 of 99

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ooh, that's a good point. Thanks for posting, I haven't read the spec sheet. Quite amazing that they get 9 or 10 hours out of the battery.

I got a little off topic. That's not the Nexus 7. Oops haha.

It's the new Droid Ultra (and Moto X too). 5" screen, always listening for voice prompts, thinner than the iPhone 5 and it is still rated at 28 hours of usage and 300+ hours of standby time. Not bad. I'd love to see what Apple could do with this type of highly customized SoC and software. I love technology!

• Reply 89 of 99
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

Have I missed something on MotoX? 326ppi screen.. 5mp camera... Sound like the 3 year old iPhone 4. What is so amazing about this phone? Besides the always listening... Which to be honest I assume will just drain battery life. How hard is holding a button (Siri), have we really gotten THAT lazy? Imagine if your phone is on the coffee table and you're having a chat to someone and your phone starts googling random shit? No thank you.

Well, apparently that's the beauty of it, it's smart enough to know exactly when you are talking to it and when not! I think that's true innovation. In fact, if it's working, that's a real breakthrough in artificial intelligence! Stuff like that you only see in Sci-Fi movies, it has never been done until now! It's just like this:

• Reply 90 of 99
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Hey what Antivirus do you recommend, I noticed quite a few in the play store in among the crappy live wallpapers and how come Adblock isn't there any more?

Is that Google's "walled garden"?

I don't recommend any Antivirus software.  You can get 3-4 of them from the PlayStore and when it doesn't find anything on your phone, just uninstall it.

You can either block ads on the whole phone (with something like AdAway or AdBlock Plus). Fdroid (https://f-droid.org/) is a good place to get it since it can get updated (automatically if you enable it).  Or just get Firefox and the Adblock plus plugin if you just want to block ads while browsing.

• Reply 91 of 99
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

I used a launcher to skin it with stock Jellybean, like my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

Lags, lags, lags.

Almost everything is duplicated on this piece of junk, which would explain why this 16GB phone only has a little over 8GB of free space.

I have the Galaxy S3 and it doesn't lag at all.  So I have no idea why your S4 should lag.  I don't like TouchWiz so I have installed Nova Launcher.  But looks like so have you (or perhaps Apex launcher).  I find most of the Samsung apps to be gimmicks.  But I do love some of them like SmartStay.  The thing is that different people seem to like different apps.  I think air gestures would be something I'd use especially in the winter with gloves.  A salesman in a store pulled out his GS4 and showed of the scrolling with the eyes.  He loved that.  Can't see myself using that, but who knows.  I have disabled most of the Samsung gestures and some of the Samsung apps using Titanium Backup.  I have moved all the apps I don't use often into a folder in the App Drawer (Nova launcher).

• Reply 92 of 99
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

How is a $35 version of Apple's $100 Apple TV a rip off? Because it does so in a smaller package?

Because it does half of  what the apple tv does. not even close to half.

• Reply 93 of 99

Google develops two OSes for hardware makers to use. It owns Motorola which develops mobile devices using one of these OSes. It designs its own devices and uses anyone but Motorola to build them. Hope they are keeping score meticulously.

• Reply 94 of 99
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by abazigal View Post

Huge bezels hide a lot, like the need to pack a much larger battery to power that higher res display. 

At least it has a high res display unlike the iPad mini!

• Reply 95 of 99
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    How many people will program it to listen for "computer" or " Hal"?
  • Reply 96 of 99
    os2baba wrote: »
    I have the Galaxy S3 and it doesn't lag at all.  So I have no idea why your S4 should lag.  I don't like TouchWiz so I have installed Nova Launcher.  But looks like so have you (or perhaps Apex launcher).  I find most of the Samsung apps to be gimmicks.  But I do love some of them like SmartStay.  The thing is that different people seem to like different apps.  I think air gestures would be something I'd use especially in the winter with gloves.  A salesman in a store pulled out his GS4 and showed of the scrolling with the eyes.  He loved that.  Can't see myself using that, but who knows.  I have disabled most of the Samsung gestures and some of the Samsung apps using Titanium Backup.  I have moved all the apps I don't use often into a folder in the App Drawer (Nova launcher).

I'm using Nova launcher and its crap, more junk to fill this POS phone with maybe it's because it's the free version and the ad pop ups slow things down although it's nowhere near as bad as Go launcher.

The phone lags, it's nowhere near as smooth as iOS, an inherent flaw with Google's bastardized JVM running on top of a bastardized Linux core.

The eye scrolling and pausing stuff is stupid especially when wearing glasses which messes with the eye detection and causes random actions, besides you've got this slab of a phone in your hand so moving your thumbs and fingers a few fractions of an inch requires hardly any effort.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

The phone lags, it's nowhere near as smooth as iOS, an inherent flaw with Google's bastardized JVM running on top of a bastardized Linux core.

No, that's not the source of lag.  The kernel and drivers are written in assembly, C, C++, and the latest Dalvik JIT compiles really fast code.

Not to mention that we all sometimes see lag on iOS devices as well, which don't use Java at all.

There are other reasons, which I'll post more detail on if I get a chance later.   Sorry.  Busy today.

• Reply 98 of 99
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Re: the Motorola X.

Reportedly it'll be built at a 500,000 square foot factory near Fort Worth, Texas, employing about 2,000 people.

It's nice to see a smartphone designed and built in the USA... but something else hit me today.

Because it's built in the US, and not imported, the ITC cannot ban it for infringing on US patents.

(They could still ban imported chips used in it, if there was an infringement on those, of course.)