Apple warns Chinese customers to stick with official chargers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I just wonder, do these problems happen with android?

you aren't going to get a shock holding a plastic phone

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

The next new iphone will have a plastic version.

The aluminum case on iPhones is anodized. Aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator.

• Reply 42 of 56
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

I just wonder, do these problems happen with android?

you aren't going to get a shock holding a plastic phone

They explode

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III-explodes-injures-18-year-old-girl_id45057

• Reply 43 of 56
    ipen wrote: »
    I still think the woman died because of Apple's greed.

Apparently, Apple gets no points for including a complementary charger and lightning cable in every new iPhone box.
  • Reply 44 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

This is a picture from one of the Chinese stories about it.

Since when does Apple make a charger that looks like that?  From:

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1283818/woman-electrocuted-while-answering-iphone-may-have-been-using-fake

Geez, do you anti-Apple trolls even try anymore? It was reported all over the place that the charger was fake.

Since when does an electrical product that fried someone look so pristine? And the phone just happens to be come with its original case?

• Reply 45 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people looking to save a buck or two must not value their lives all that highly.

Is a life worth $10 bucks? Mine certainly isn't.

One thing is buying a cheap ass mouse or something like that, but it's a different story when buying electrical chargers. There are many official third party accessories made for Apple devices, and there's nothing wrong with buying those, it's the counterfeit accessories that people should steer clear of.

The criminals who made the counterfeit chargers should be charged with murder. Maybe China can execute them. That seems to be a fitting punishment for murder by electrocution.

I don't know about that.

How do we know this was a cheaper product? How do we know that was her reason for buying it? Maybe she lost the original and there was no Apple Store or Apple reseller in sight when she needed a charger? Let's not assume the worst of the diseased. 

• Reply 46 of 56
    unicronunicron Posts: 154member
    What's preventing Chinese manufacturers from using this official guide from Apple to make knock-off chargers look even more authentic??
  • Reply 47 of 56
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I don't know about that.

How do we know this was a cheaper product? How do we know that was her reason for buying it? Maybe she lost the original and there was no Apple Store or Apple reseller in sight when she needed a charger? Let's not assume the worst of the diseased. 

How do we know it wasn't? How do we know she wasn't a shopper of quality? How do we know there were not a thousand circumstances which made it completely impossible for her to find a genuine Apple charger, and that her needs were so great …? Besides, we have no information concerning her disease status at the time of decease.

Cheers

• Reply 48 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Some people looking to save a buck or two must not value their lives all that highly.

Is a life worth $10 bucks? Mine certainly isn't.

One thing is buying a cheap ass mouse or something like that, but it's a different story when buying electrical chargers. There are many official third party accessories made for Apple devices, and there's nothing wrong with buying those, it's the counterfeit accessories that people should steer clear of.
    The entire idea of a counterfeit is to "fool" the buyer into thinking it is real.
    So it it looks real and is sold as real, how does one steer clear of the counterfeit?
  • Reply 49 of 56
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Hey. Idiots. You buy crap, you get screwed. Buy the real deal. This is your fault." 

They cannot hear you because they are dead.

• Reply 50 of 56
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

... Maybe China can execute them. That seems to be a fitting punishment for murder by electrocution.

Give 'em the chair, I say.

• Reply 51 of 56

I think Apple is the one to blame: why don't they make good quality chargers at a descent price?

First their proprietary scheme forbids other manufacturers to make compatible chargers. Second they can pump the price as high as they want since there is no competition. The EU forces companies to make a micro usb charger. So Apple somehow complied and did this one in the EU:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A/apple-iphone-micro-usb-adapter?mco=MjU5MjAwODM

But they sell it for an overpriced tag (of course).

It has been commented that the extra electronics that is required to make a safer charger from the Chinese knock-outs would only cost an extra $1.00.

Maybe the company to blame for these people having to buy a new charger because the original Apple one just broke.

Did I mention macbook chargers? The Apple ones are so cheaply made that the cable or the connector breaks within a year and they cost $70 each. But that's another story...

• Reply 52 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    rafdesign wrote: »
    I think Apple is the one to blame: why don't they make good quality chargers at a descent price?
    They do.
    First their proprietary scheme forbids other manufacturers to make compatible chargers
    What? It is very easy to make compatible devices.
    It's even very easy to make devices that don't kill people without following Apples specific design.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafdesign View Post

I don't think anybody is questioning Apple's product quality, and the price is sane and in range with other brand like Nokia and BlackBerry

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-chargers-and-cables.htm

Quote:

First their proprietary scheme forbids other manufacturers to make compatible chargers. Second they can pump the price as high as they want since there is no competition.

There is no voodoo trick here, since the original USB specs was never made for charging things and limited the output to 0.5W, pre-USB2 devices using USB for charging had to uses some tricks because there was no standard to begin with.  The Apple "charging protocole" was there only to give the devices the info it need to drain more power than a USB port normally allow, beside it is now pretty well know and documented all over the net, it only depend on a resistor value shorting the 2 data pin on the USB port. 

Quote:

The EU forces companies to make a micro usb charger. So Apple somehow complied and did this one in the EU:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD099ZM/A/apple-iphone-micro-usb-adapter?mco=MjU5MjAwODM

But they sell it for an overpriced tag (of course).

So 8£ is an overprice tag for you? No wonder why Wallmart and others supermart of cheap chineses import dominate so much the north american market...

Quote:

It has been commented that the extra electronics that is required to make a safer charger from the Chinese knock-outs would only cost an extra $1.00.

Maybe the company to blame for these people having to buy a new charger because the original Apple one just broke.

if your charger broke within the year of purchase, someone at the genius bar will exchange it without any resistance, in my own experiences at least. 

Quote:

Did I mention macbook chargers? The Apple ones are so cheaply made that the cable or the connector breaks within a year and they cost $70 each. But that's another story...

You don't take care much of your stuff don't you?  I still have my first mag safe charger I bought 6 years ago, working well on my retina display MBP with the 9$  magsafe 2 adaptor the guy at the Genius bar gived me for free.  If you want a good trick with those power brick, don't roll up the cord around the charger, any electric cable will end failing after a while when repeatedly twisted and bended.  

• Reply 54 of 56
    awest23awest23 Posts: 10member

So you're saying 3rd party products are not as good as the real thing.  Who knew ;)

• Reply 55 of 56
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    If you want a really good insight of what it need to make those incredibly small charger, here is a good in depth teardown of a genuine apple charger:
    http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

You can compare with cheap knockoff
    http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html

With lesser  than few millimeter gap between the full 120-220v and the 5v line without any kind of fuse or protection is pretty easy to understand what can goes wrong.

Yes i knew of this article. When i say engineering i was referring to this results

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html
    Totally agree. Just make the charger cheap enough. Then no knockoffs will be on the market.

I still think the woman died because of Apple's greed.

I dont think it is greed. It is a matter of value. Good Quality deserve its price. But then the value thing needs a long time to get through ones mind.
    But the counterfeit are so rampant may be Apple could do a special pricing just for China? Afterall those chargers dont work anywhere else without additional adopters.( as far as i know )
  • Reply 56 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="Vorsos" url="/t/158693/apple-warns-chinese-customers-to-stick-with-official-chargers#post_2367961"]Companies run by mature adults have tact.[/QUOTE]

There's a difference between tact and being forced to put up with idiocy. "Mature adults" also don't condescend.