Supposed 'iPhone Lite' shows up with FCC & other legal notices in new picture

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new image has emerged claiming to show Apple's low-cost plastic iPhone in the wild, bearing the required legal notices from the FCC and other agencies.

The new image appeared on Chinese site Weibo (via iPhone5skopen) on Friday, and it shows a back view of the supposed "iPhone Lite" in the hand of the photographer. The object seen in the image bears what look like notices and markings from the FCC and assorted other certifications.

Previous views of the supposed Apple device have shown the casing only with the word iPhone, but not with any certification markings.

Given Apple's notorious secrecy and the infrequency of its products appearing in the wild ahead of release, it is impossible to tell whether the object shown in the image is indeed an Apple product. The object does appear to conform to previous views of what is widely expected to be Apple's low-cost iPhone. It could, however, be a 3D-printed mockup or simply an empty rear casing.

Notably, the font in which "iPhone" is rendered on the back appears thicker than it has in previous appearances of the supposed low-cost case. Otherwise, the case appears to be identical to the previous "leaks."

The "iPhone Lite" is expected to feature a polycarbonate casing instead of the premium-build metal casings which have come to typify Apple's bestselling device. It would be the first polycarbonate model Apple has produced since the iPhone 3GS, and its cheaper construction could enable Apple to better market its wares to consumers in developing markets, where most smartphone market growth is occurring now.

The plastic casing may open a range of possibilities for coloration with the iPhone lite. The premium-built model may also have color options, but the "iPhone 5S" could be limited to just three colors, while the iPhone lite case has been shown in at least five.

Should the low-cost iPhone actually debut alongside the iPhone 5's successor this fall, the latest rumor has Apple abandoning the iPhone 5 in order to offer simply the "5S" and "lite." This would mark a departure from standard procedure for the Cupertino company, which typically keeps the last two models of iPhone in circulation in order to offer low-cost alternatives.

Last week, leaked documents emerged that claimed that the iPhone lite was already in the engineering verification testing stages prior to release. The documents also contained some specifications on the device, claiming that it would have 1 gigabyte of DDR RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 98
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Look at those connector ends. And decide for yourself if you think they are legit.
  • Reply 2 of 98
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Seems a plastic iPhone will be coming. Sigh.

I hope Apple shocks everyone and prices it cheaper than expected. If Cook has decided they need to go down market, then go all the way.
  • Reply 3 of 98
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    No way they've let this many cases go missing.
  • Reply 4 of 98
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I DONT WANT ALL THESE APPLE PRODUCT LEAKS

• Reply 5 of 98

I kind of like the white. I have an orig. intel 20" iMac. I think its close to 7 years old now. I updated it with the BT newest Apple keyboard and BT Magic Pad (no mouse) and it is working great! And still has a certain amount of charm sitting on my desk in my den with no wires except the power cord. I love the elegance and simplicity of it.

However, I do feel a little left behind because I can only run SL on it. And I haven't figured out how to best sync the iMac with my iPhone 4s with iCloud. Email, Notes work, but the new Podcast app, Safari links, Contacts are confusing.

I also used to have the white MB, again the orig. intel and loved it. But once I got the original iPhone, I stopped carrying it around. Sold and got an iPad. 

I would consider the new less expensive white iPhone and a white iPad Mini, ATV and I'm good to go.

Sell my iP4s for $200 and basically be $150 out of pocket for my Mini in Oct. Good deal!

Thanks Apple.

• Reply 6 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    chandra69 wrote: »
    I DONT WANT ALL THESE APPLE PRODUCT LEAKS

Then stop visiting a rumor site.
  • Reply 7 of 98
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    This is nice, but Apple really needs a larger model.
  • Reply 8 of 98
    If history is any reference, iPhone lite is just nonsense. If they are trying to do a paradigm shift from the past, this being stacked with cheap androids will just make Applelook substandard.

I am somehow not convinced with this cheap Iphone strategy.
  • Reply 9 of 98
    Too bad the picture is blurry. I would like to have seen what info is printed above the certification markings. It would have shown a part number or a blank area where the part number should be.
  • Reply 10 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

True that.

• Reply 11 of 98
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Look at those connector ends. And decide for yourself if you think they are legit.

This is what I noticed too, this case has metal on the connectors. Its from further down the line imo

• Reply 12 of 98
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Someday, a Chinese product leaker will take a picture that isn't out-of-focus.
  • Reply 13 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    tbell wrote: »

If history is any indication, they don't need to do anything. If one-hand operation is still considered the best way to use a phone, they don't need to do anything. Looking at their revenue from iPhones, they don't need to do anything.
  • Reply 14 of 98
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    herbapou wrote: »
    This is what I noticed too, this case has metal on the connectors. Its from further down the line imo

How do you know that metal on the connectors means it's fake? Maybe they did that to prevent case cracking when plugging it in.
  • Reply 15 of 98
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I kind of like the white. I have an orig. intel 20" iMac. I think its close to 7 years old now. I updated it with the BT newest Apple keyboard and BT Magic Pad (no mouse) and it is working great! And still has a certain amount of charm sitting on my desk in my den with no wires except the power cord. I love the elegance and simplicity of it.

However, I do feel a little left behind because I can only run SL on it. And I haven't figured out how to best sync the iMac with my iPhone 4s with iCloud. Email, Notes work, but the new Podcast app, Safari links, Contacts are confusing.

I also used to have the white MB, again the orig. intel and loved it. But once I got the original iPhone, I stopped carrying it around. Sold and got an iPad. 

I would consider the new less expensive white iPhone and a white iPad Mini, ATV and I'm good to go.

Sell my iP4s for $200 and basically be $150 out of pocket for my Mini in Oct. Good deal!

Thanks Apple.

This is the correct emotional response, seems to me.

The thing, even if fake, is absolutely delicious looking. Many left-brainers won't get this. Some might when they hold one in their hand.

What it has going for it over a slippery, shabby-looking Samsung slab are those square sides and that perfect curve leading to the flat back. And the absence of depressing silver grey and plastichrome bezels. The flat back will give it the precise feel of a camera, not to mention a way to stand it on a table or mount it on a tripod.

People will take it seriously and it will sell in the many millions, depending on how they can price it. It's probably designed for mass manufacture above all. And emotional appeal, desirability, like the iPad mini.
  • Reply 16 of 98

from the way highlights behave, dont seem to be injection molded but 3D printed with a FDM process. In which case, it is a fake. No way Apple use FDM process which is hobbyist/consumer grade (I know, i have one), they use either stereolithography or laser driven fusing.

Highlitghts on polycarbonate are very long and soft on a molded shell or the pro prototyping methods

• Reply 17 of 98
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

(At best) this is just another plastic shell like we've seen before, this time with some badly applied logos on the back. 

Still we don't see buttons, and if it had the internals in it, it would have screws in the two screw-holes.  Also, if it has internals, why not show the front?  

• Reply 18 of 98
    dilliodillio Posts: 106member
    Judging by the leaks of iPhone 5 cases, it looks legit. When those people in Asia start leaking stuff like this consistently, almost every week now, it kind of confirms it. So much for "doubling down on secrecy"... That being said, this might use the innards of older phones, and not be able to run the latest and greatest games, I guess. That's what could keep in cheap.
  • Reply 19 of 98
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

This is the correct emotional response, seems to me.

The thing, even if fake, is absolutely delicious looking. Many left-brainers won't get this. Some might when they hold one in their hand.

How something looks is subjective. There is nothing to get or not get.

Now, if you're saying those with left-dominant brains are less likely to design/create something that are "delicious-looking", that would be a different story.

Also, I don't know how you judge an emotional response is correct or incorrect. Glad you're not my therapist. Would hate to pay you $150/hr to hear my emotions are incorrect. 

• Reply 20 of 98
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Someday, a Chinese product leaker will take a picture that isn't out-of-focus.

Maybe they use new iPhones that are only partly assembled (i.e. no optics) :)