Google refreshes Nexus 7 with twice iPad mini's pixel count, for $100 less

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 173
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Beatles-She Loves You?

Cat Stevens – I Never Wanted To Be A Star

But does that work? It would be astounding if both had the same syllables in their verses.
  • Reply 162 of 173
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Only mandatory, system closing app data into app domain is sandboxing. only that can assure the user his data cannot be compromised by another app. Sandboxing on mac does handle multiple users and ads a layer of complicity that Apple most probably finds not appropriate for the iOS. And all over again: how will you manage multiple accounts and their opened applications? While this can be obvious on desktop OS's, it makes hell of a differences on mobiles.

Android assigns to each app its own UID, and uses unix-style file permissions to prevent apps from accessing each other's data. Does that isolation mechanism not qualify as sandboxing?

Also, I don't understand your question about managing opened applications with multiple accounts. Android devices run one app in the foreground at a time. The system tracks the stack of previously opened apps (which are usually suspended) and removes them from memory under memory pressure, sort of like how auto-terminate works on OS X 10.7+. With multiple users, the system just needs to track each user's recent apps separately. Handling multiple users shouldn't impose much overhead, since only one user will be active at a time. Am I overlooking some major detail?

• Reply 163 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Cat Stevens – I Never Wanted To Be A Star

But does that work? It would be astounding if both had the same syllables in their verses.

To be honest I strictly went by the 'yeah yeah' lol
  • Reply 164 of 173
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    To be honest I strictly went by the 'yeah yeah' lol

I figured.
  • Reply 165 of 173
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I figured.

Oh and your past practice of using Beatles songs.
  • Reply 166 of 173
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Pointless new resolution on such a small tablet. Sinse the IPad mini is a inch bigger, it should hold the same ppi but cover more screen, right only a troubling high resolution causes battery life, proccesing to fail? Apple might release a retina but this want effect, and it will still have the reverse effects.
  • Reply 167 of 173
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

The hardware can easily handle it, the Adreno 320 is faster then Power SGX 543 found in the iPhone 5. The lag is probably in Android itself, Qualcomm chip users found that by modifying the GPU conf to reflect this,"ondemand, down_differential 30, up_threshhold 70" greatly increases the speed of the games and overall smoothness of the GUI. That being said, which videos have you seen, the ones I've seen so far showed no such lag.

Early benchmarks are quite impressive.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/07/the-2013-nexus-7-performance-preview-a-huge-speed-upgrade-in-every-way/

• Reply 168 of 173
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Pointless new resolution on such a small tablet. Sinse the IPad mini is a inch bigger, it should hold the same ppi but cover more screen, right only a troubling high resolution causes battery life, proccesing to fail? Apple might release a retina but this want effect, and it will still have the reverse effects.

So an iPhone5 1136×640 screen of 4 inches at 326PPI is not pointless but a Nexus 7 1900x1200 7 inch screen at 323PPI is pointless?

• Reply 169 of 173
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

i am surprised that Google didn't do a 8 inch one. The 8 inch is much better than 7 inch.

I think it depends on what you're looking for.  The 7 inch is much better on portability then 8 inch.

• Reply 170 of 173
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Restricted multi-user integration is a smart move and one I wish Apple would implement. When I let someone use my iPad I hate the fact that they have full access to my emails, texts, and other personal info. Of course this is also useful to prevent kids from in-app purchases.

Totally agree.  But wait, Apple is counting on everyone in the family or your friends/relatives will get their own ipads instead of borrowing yours.  That'll increase profits which Google doesn't care.  

• Reply 171 of 173
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Google hasn't figured out anything. They just added an option and don't care. In case you forgot: there is no sandboxing on Android. Again, I'm personally not against it, I just know it won't happen on simple user "wish, because it is a very complex thing on iOS and of, course, very trivial on Android for reasons stated above.

There is no sandboxing on Android?  Android was designed from the ground up with application sandboxing.  The Android application sandbox isolates app data and code execution from other apps!  http://developer.android.com/training/articles/security-tips.html. ; The restricted multi-user setup in 4.3 takes it several notches higher.  Here's a good review of the features and what's lacking - http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/25/the-problem-with-androids-new-kid-mode/.

• Reply 172 of 173
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Totally agree.  But wait, Apple is counting on everyone in the family or your friends/relatives will get their own ipads instead of borrowing yours.  That'll increase profits which Google doesn't care.  

I do not believe that is how Apple rationalizes it. Instead, they see the iPhone as a truly personal device - i.e. we don't share phones. So iOS is a truly personal and mobile version of iOS. IPads happen to share the same OS as iPhones and therefore share the same single-owner behavior.

Having said that, I am sure they will consider changing this in the future.

• Reply 173 of 173
    abazigalabazigal Posts: 114member
    ipen wrote: »
    Quote: Originally Posted by gwmac Restricted multi-user integration is a smart move and one I wish Apple would implement. When I let someone use my iPad I hate the fact that they have full access to my emails, texts, and other personal info. Of course this is also useful to prevent kids from in-app purchases. Totally agree. But wait, Apple is counting on everyone in the family or your friends/relatives will get their own ipads instead of borrowing yours. That'll increase profits which Google doesn't care.

Google doesn't care because they are in the business of selling you ads, so there is no difference whether a family views them on one device or multiple devices.

Btw, what is it with quotes here? They appear complete screwed up on my ipad (as normal text without the quotation boxes), but mine show up okay.

Edit: I spoke too soon. After editing, it screws up.