Apple's Dev Center back online after 8-day downtime

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More than one week after Apple's developer portal went offline due to a reported intrusion, the site is now back up and running, though not all systems are currently available.

Dev Center
Apple's Dev Center system status page as of 6 p.m. EST, Friday.

Apple on Friday brought the iOS, Mac and Safari Dev Centers back from a self-imposed downtime after the website was compromised by "an intruder" last Thursday. Also in the green are "Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles" and "Software Downloads."

While the main sections of the portal have returned, as seen above, the Member Center section of the site remains down.

After the security breach last week, Apple announced that it would be completely overhauling its systems, and created a status page to keep developers apprised of the progress. The company reportedly had engineers working around the clock to fix the vital service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

OK, now give us iOS 7 Beta 4 :)

• Reply 2 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    OK, now give us iOS 7 Beta 4 :)
    Monday probably.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Cough, cough.

Downtime.

• Reply 4 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Understandable that the Member Center area is inaccessible, but why is that for Video too? That would be a read-only area, no?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Cough, cough.

Downtime.

What are you talking about?

It's spelt donwtime.

Jeez... did nobody ever teach you how to spell donw... you know? the opposite of pu.

• Reply 6 of 22
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Understandable that the Member Center area is inaccessible, but why is that for Video too? That would be a read-only area, no?

They may want to avoid overloading the servers by turning on everything at the same time, videos use a lot of bandwidth.

• Reply 7 of 22
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

It's spelt donwtime.

Jeez... did nobody ever teach you how to spell donw... you know? the opposite of pu.

Actually, I fink he may bee korrect.

The Appelincider spelcheker apiers to be donw.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    the AI sell checker is shirty
  • Reply 9 of 22
    gtr wrote: »
    Actually, I fink he may bee korrect.

The Appelincider spelcheker apiers to be donw.

OLO!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    vl-tone wrote: »
    They may want to avoid overloading the servers by turning on everything at the same time, videos use a lot of bandwidth.

You mean bnadwitdh
  • Reply 11 of 22
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

NICE.. Did they change the Certificate and profiles website UI?!

• Reply 12 of 22
    asdasd wrote: »
    the AI sell checker is shirty
    Sell checker is shirty!! Oh gawd!! I'm glad we're takking this hole tabasco lightly :D :D
  • Reply 13 of 22
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member
    Imagine if the same hacker pulls the same trick with the dev site again !

Downtime / apology letters all over again :p
  • Reply 14 of 22
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well anybody notice any changes yet?
    nikilok wrote: »
    Imagine if the same hacker pulls the same trick with the dev site again !

Downtime / apology letters all over again :p
    he annoying it and claiming he was a researcher on it is one of the major reasons he want do it again.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Hey guys, I have the beta 7 and it tried to update but when "validating" it still says that the server it down, any idea how to sort this issue?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Not sure why the "Has Returned" article is already posted. If you went one step further you'd know that nothing is really back up, just the login and splash pages.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member

I'm an Apple Developer and luckily didn't have any pending updates or really have any need to access my account during this outage.  I do know two developers that were SOL with submitting time sensitive updates.

Apple messed this up and got a serious pass on this by AI in my opinion.  Eight days is an eternity for a security fix....that whole in the code must have been a mile wide or deep if it took them that long to fix it.  Am I the only one who expects Apple to be able to identify and fix issues like this in hours....not days?

If MSDN or Google Developer was down for 8 days it would be headline news here on AI every day.   Why is AI too chicken to run any articles that are critical of Apple?  

• Reply 18 of 22
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    oskio wrote: »
    Eight days is an eternity for a security fix...

Good thing it wasn't just a security fix, huh.
    Am I the only one who expects Apple to be able to identify and fix issues like this in hours....not days?

You're the only one who thinks it was just a security fix.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    oskio wrote: »
    I'm an Apple Developer and luckily didn't have any pending updates or really have any need to access my account during this outage.  I do know two developers that were SOL with submitting time sensitive updates.

Apple messed this up and got a serious pass on this by AI in my opinion.  Eight days is an eternity for a security fix....that whole in the code must have been a mile wide or deep if it took them that long to fix it.  Am I the only one who expects Apple to be able to identify and fix issues like this in hours....not days?

If MSDN or Google Developer was down for 8 days it would be headline news here on AI every day.   Why is AI too chicken to run any articles that are critical of Apple?  

I'm not certain that "Apple messed this up..." at all. They always first take a good look at the situation and only make a statement about it when they also have a 'fixing plan' written down. They did that with the Antenna Gate is 2010.

I understand 8 days is a very long time for fixing a security issue. But apart from understanding where this problem came from, they didn't just fix the issue but rebuild an entire new environment, preventing this issue to arise again and also planned ahead, even if they don't know what kind of security issues might arise in the future.

I command Apple actually for being always this thorough about an issue before making a statement. In my view Apple could have "messed up" if they immediately took the site down and made a public statement that something happened to their Dev server and therefore took it down, without any info on what the developers can expect. A timeframe if you will.

Oh, and AI does write articles like this one, all the time. Maybe there haven't been that many issues that it would seem like AI doesn't publish any?
  • Reply 20 of 22
    oskiooskio Posts: 60member

So you're saying they took the site down because there wasn't a security issue?  huh...