Google to take on Apple TV with $35 Chromecast streaming device for iOS & Android

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 226
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member

Yes Chromecast will sell very well and probably eat into AppleTV sales. Hell, I might even buy one! Best way to counteract any decrease in AppleTV sales would be if apps were offered for it or, best scenario, a jailbreak for AppleTV3 surfaced ;)

• Reply 222 of 226
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    mimac wrote: »
    Yes Chromecast will sell very well and probably eat into AppleTV sales. Hell, I might even buy one! Best way to counteract any decrease in AppleTV sales would be if apps were offered for it or, best scenario, a jailbreak for AppleTV3 surfaced ;)

It won't touch Apple TV sales. This device is nothing like Apple TV and lacks most of apple tv's selling points. Mainly airplay. Also the lack of wired connection is a big downside. If I can't airplay from my devices, mirror my ipad screen (or even use as an additional monitor with separate content in mavericks) then it isn't an Apple TV competitor.

This device will have disappeared within the year as another failed attempt by google.
  • Reply 223 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

It won't touch Apple TV sales. This device is nothing like Apple TV and lacks most of apple tv's selling points. Mainly airplay. Also the lack of wired connection is a big downside. If I can't airplay from my devices, mirror my ipad screen (or even use as an additional monitor with separate content in mavericks) then it isn't an Apple TV competitor.

This device will have disappeared within the year as another failed attempt by google.

In all fairness the device just launched, some of the applications from developers already enable airplay like features such as streaming images or video from your devices gallery. HBO has also shown interest in Chromecast. Once again, this is only the start for Google, the SDK was only launched to developers a week ago.

• Reply 224 of 226
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

In all fairness, that doesn't matter. The fact is that you cannot stream from a device to the Chromecast directly.  It all goes through the "cloud". What this means is that if you want to play a video on the device, the video has to be made available on the cloud.  The device simply queues Chromecast to playback the video or audio from another location.  This means unless you have blazing fast Internet, it's not going to work well.

In comparison, the AppleTV allows point to point streaming.  I can also use it as a monitor for my laptop, second screen for my iPad or iPhone, etc.  You cannot do this with the Chromecast. Even sharing a web page in Chrome is very limited and choppy because it's going through your Internet connection, using up your data, etc.  Oh, and Google and listen in on this and advertise to you, collect your data, etc.

• Reply 225 of 226
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    https://developers.google.com/cast/

A better explanation is here
  • Reply 226 of 226

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

In all fairness, that doesn't matter. The fact is that you cannot stream from a device to the Chromecast directly.  It all goes through the "cloud". What this means is that if you want to play a video on the device, the video has to be made available on the cloud.  The device simply queues Chromecast to playback the video or audio from another location.  This means unless you have blazing fast Internet, it's not going to work well.

In comparison, the AppleTV allows point to point streaming.  I can also use it as a monitor for my laptop, second screen for my iPad or iPhone, etc.  You cannot do this with the Chromecast. Even sharing a web page in Chrome is very limited and choppy because it's going through your Internet connection, using up your data, etc.  Oh, and Google and listen in on this and advertise to you, collect your data, etc.

That's not entirely the case, Koushik Dutta used his AndroidAsync web server to share videos and pictures. The web server is running on the device itself.