Why Tim Cook described Apple's iOS in the Car strategy as 'very important'

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 104
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You're in the minority.

Not for very long. I agree with his assessment. Car manufacturers were looking for something to give them a leg up in the feature race & Microsoft was financing the implementation. It was what was available at the time, chosen for that benefit more than anything else.

iOS gives auto makers a much more robust environment & infrastructure, backed by the leading smart phone handset in the market. iTunes is a very major force here. Hand's free voice activation via Siri makes the system a virtual no-brainer.

Unless Apple gets in their own way, something Tim Cook appears to be very good at avoiding, I see Apple dominating the auto market for a number of years.

• Reply 102 of 104
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Toyota builds engines in Kentucky. Honda makes them in their Alabama facility and starting this year some will be made in Ohio.

Only assembly. The castings and precision machined parts are made in Japan.

• Reply 103 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    matt_s wrote: »

Not for very long. I agree with his assessment. Car manufacturers were looking for something to give them a leg up in the feature race & Microsoft was financing the implementation. It was what was available at the time, chosen for that benefit more than anything else.

iOS gives auto makers a much more robust environment & infrastructure, backed by the leading smart phone handset in the market. iTunes is a very major force here. Hand's free voice activation via Siri makes the system a virtual no-brainer.

Unless Apple gets in their own way, something Tim Cook appears to be very good at avoiding, I see Apple dominating the auto market for a number of years.

Problem is how to be useful for all users not just iOS?
  • Reply 104 of 104
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's too lucrative for them not to change.

Of course it is. Electric cars are too lucrative not to change and they haven't changed. Self-driving will be a "gimmick" for decades after introduction.
    ascii wrote: »
    I think that's more to do with slow to improve battery technology than any kind of conspiracy.

200 miles on a charge is 90% of the daily commutes of every American. We had a car that did 200 on a charge in 1996. They stopped making it. Except for long vacations, we don't really need longer battery tech. Improvements should be coming on the speed at which these batteries recharge.
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Problem is how to be useful for all users not just iOS?

Who cares about them?