Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new photo released into the wild this week may show a portion of the retail packaging for Apple's forthcoming low-cost iPhone, which -- if the photo is genuine -- could hit the market under the name "iPhone 5C."

Is this the iPhone 5C Packaging?

The photo, which appeared on the same WeiPhone forums that have produced several other early peaks at Apple devices, shows a manufacturer's bin full of dozens of new plastic retail boxes in the size, shape, and style that one would expect to cradle the company's lower-cost handset, based on recent rumors.

The side of the plastic retail boxes also read "iPhone 5C," suggesting Apple could possibly adopt such a naming convention to distinguish the more affordable devices from the premium versions of the next iPhone largely rumored to adopt the name iPhone 5S.

For its part, AppleInsider cannot independently confirm the authenticity of the items in the photo, and therefore publishes images simply for the sake of discussion.

For the latest on Apple's much rumored low-cost iPhone and iPhone 5S, see our recent report: 'iPhone Lite' on track for early Sept., but 'iPhone 5S' production more challenging

iPhone Lite

Update: Some AppleInsider readers are speculating in the forums that "C" may be for "Color," given the recent rumors that the low-cost iPhone would be made available in a variety of colored plastic enclosures (above) when it arrives later this year. They also note that the plastic retail packaging would be consistent with the latest packaging for the iPod touch, which similarly features a plastic container topped off by the device itself, then covered with a transparent cover.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    C for cheap
  • Reply 2 of 217
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Have they ever packaged using plastic?
  • Reply 3 of 217
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    C for color. Looks like it would (if true) follow the packaging of the iPod touch, with a clear cover to showcase the color. I think it would look awesome

Regarding the naming convention, Apple must feel the 5S is a substantial upgrade and is clear step up from the 5C to use "5C". It would be an unexpected, bold move by Apple. It would also signal they have decided not to enter the lower tier end of the market (yet)
  • Reply 4 of 217
    yvvvyvvv Posts: 18member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Yeah. Most of the iPods were packaged in translucent plastic and paper (including iPod touch). But this would be a first for the iPhone.

• Reply 5 of 217
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator

Quote:

Yeah -- Look at the iPod touch (current gen) Scroll to bottom of page:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

• Reply 6 of 217
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    C is for crap
  • Reply 7 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

iPod Touch 4G

• Reply 8 of 217
    yvvv wrote: »
    Yeah. Most of the iPods were packaged in translucent plastic and paper (including iPod touch). But this would be a first for the iPhone.

That is true, didn't consider the iPods.
  • Reply 9 of 217
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    kasper wrote: »
    Yeah -- Look at the iPod touch (current gen) Scroll to bottom of page:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/specs.html

One interesting point is that the lettering of the iPod touch cases is the color of the device. Above, they are all Black. Just FYI
  • Reply 10 of 217
    jusephejusephe Posts: 108member
    I once got a dream about a cheap iPhone with but it was an iPhone 4S internals in iPod touch (4 gen) design with A5 processor and 3,5 inch screen with retina resolution etc etc. But in my dream it was called "iPhone 4K" and it was relased with iPhone 5 in 2012. For free on contract. I remember like I was on that fictive event.

When I think about this I was almost correct... Only it will happen this year on iPhone 5S introduction, the phone will be an iPhone 5 in iPod touch (5 gen) design, it will have an 4 inch screen and it will be called iPhone 5C...
    Maybe my brain just fallen into alternate dimension that night, where they introduced cheaper iPhone a year sooner. :)

Also I don't know how they will name those two, next year we will get iPhone 6C for sure. But in 2015 we will get iPhone 6[B]CS[/B] ??? That's cool :D
  • Reply 11 of 217
    red oak wrote: »
    One interesting point is that the lettering of the iPod touch cases is the color of the device. Above, they are all Black. Just FYI

I guess these would be for the black iPhone 5(c) then?

I just hate to see all the waste, would rather see biodegradable packaging. I'm sort of an environmental geek. But I'd forgotten about the iPod packaging earlier
  • Reply 12 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ok when has Apple ever used hard plastic cases like that for their packaging? And what the heck does C even mean (other than the obvious joke - cheap)? Since this would be a brand new phone stylistically why would it even be called iPhone 5 let alone iPhone 5C?!? Also those cases look really dirty.

Here's the product packaging for iPods and iPhones. This packaging looks NOTHING like it.

ef87da9d.jpg

iPhone5_un-boxing_MG_3089.jpg
  • Reply 13 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    red oak wrote: »
    C for color. Looks like it would (if true) follow the packaging of the iPod touch, with a clear cover to showcase the color. I think it would look awesome

Regarding the naming convention, Apple must feel the 5S is a substantial upgrade and is clear step up from the 5C to use "5C". It would be an unexpected, bold move by Apple. It would also signal they have decided not to enter the lower tier end of the market (yet)

Why would they call it iPhone 5 though? Why not just iPhone and iPhone color? But even that doesn't make much sense because then the lower tier iPhones would always be associated with colors. Unless Apple expects cheaper iPhones to always come in colors?
  • Reply 14 of 217
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    C is for Cookie lol

Maybe it stands for "California"
  • Reply 15 of 217
    Just afraid C for Cheap : (
  • Reply 16 of 217
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    C for cheap Chinese cnockoff.
  • Reply 18 of 217
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm...

• Reply 19 of 217
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I remember the last thread about this topic and lots of people here were dismissing the colored iPhones and saying that they were fake. I think that all of those people are wrong, and this phone is right around the corner. Apple will very likely be making an announcement in the near future.

Also, as was already mentioned, C for color probably makes the most sense, and with the huge amount of Apple leaks coming out of China, I'd say that there's a damn good possibility that this packaging and the colored iPhones are both the real deal. And if this packaging turns out to be fake, then I still believe that the colored iPhones are for real.
  • Reply 20 of 217
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    5C sounds lame.