Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm...
    Apple just redesigned iPod touch last year. Can't see them getting rid of it.
  • Reply 22 of 217
    pendergast wrote: »
    5C sounds lame.
    And what happens in 2014 when presumably the 6 comes out? What will this phone be called then?
  • Reply 23 of 217
    Want to get one now
  • Reply 24 of 217
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why would they call it iPhone 5 though? Why not just iPhone and iPhone color? But even that doesn't make much sense because then the lower tier iPhones would always be associated with colors. Unless Apple expects cheaper iPhones to always come in colors?

Why are you so confused? It IS an iPhone 5, dude.

This is what it was always going to be. An iPhone 5 in a plastic case, with multiple color choices.

This is not unexpected, confusing, or in any way difficult to comprehend.
  • Reply 25 of 217
    Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually [I]thinner[/I] than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually [I]want[/I].
  • Reply 26 of 217
    And what happens in 2014 when presumably the 6 comes out? What will this phone be called then?

The iPhone Sexy, obviously.
  • Reply 27 of 217
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    C is for crappy.
  • Reply 28 of 217
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    alphafox wrote: »
    C is for crappy.

People were complaining about Apple products being too expensive? Well they got their wish, this phone is for them. They can kindly stfu now, IMO.
  • Reply 29 of 217
    pmz wrote: »
    Why are you so confused? It IS an iPhone 5, dude.

This is what it was always going to be. An iPhone 5 in a plastic case, with multiple color choices.

This is not unexpected, confusing, or in any way difficult to comprehend.
    I guess it's how you define what an iPhone 5 is. To me an iPhone 5 is aluminum and glass, not plastic.
  • Reply 30 of 217
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    asdasd wrote: »
    C for cheap

C for childish as in making cheap crap comment.
  • Reply 31 of 217
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Then the high end will be called iphone 6, so next year we have iphone 6c and not iphone 5 sc
  • Reply 32 of 217

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.
    haha we don't even know if thhe iPhone 5C exists, and if it does where it will be sold. A lot of assumptions are being made but none of them based on anything substantial.
  • Reply 33 of 217
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.

I understand your frustration. What I do is use a bumper and a media devil front and back wrap. The media devil one is perfect because it is super clear and the back aluminum section is matte. As for the bumper, it still keeps the phone super thin and sleek, while still maintaining protection for the front and back glass. If you had no case on the 5C- and were prone to dropping- could still break the glass- much like the 3-3GS.
  • Reply 34 of 217
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    haha we don't even know if thhe iPhone 5C exists, and if it does where it will be sold. A lot of assumptions are being made but none of them based on anything substantial.
    Rogi- at this point, I'd almost say its a certainty.
  • Reply 35 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    andysol wrote: »
    Rogi- at this point, I'd almost say its a certainty.

I agree that the iPhone Color seems to be coming.

I'm still hoping it ends up being aluminum or a metal as not plastic.

If it is plastic just as the leaks have suggested Tim Cook and maybe even Jonny Ive have both lost their minds.
  • Reply 36 of 217
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    Very unlikely if they are trying to reduce cost.

"C" for compact.
  • Reply 37 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

What a bizarre and unfortunate choice of a name if true. image

• Reply 38 of 217
    bikertwinbikertwin Posts: 566member
    Maybe the packaging and/or the phone is bio plastic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioplastic
  • Reply 39 of 217
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    allenbf wrote: »
    I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Have they ever packaged using plastic?

All the iPods are in plastic. But it is clear with a paper liner not this thin cheap looking plastic
  • Reply 40 of 217
    I guess it's how you define what an iPhone 5 is. To me an iPhone 5 is aluminum and glass, not plastic.

I don't see how this is a subjective thing?

The iPhone consists of core components: Display, CPU, Graphics, Battery, Camera. Then, most importantly software & performance.

Whether it is wrapped in aluminum & glass, or unibody ploy carbonate & glass, it will have the same features, same ability, same performance level, same software experience.

Therefor, it is still an iPhone 5. The aluminum has nothing to do with it

And depending on your take on the iPhone 5, the 5C may outclass the 5S based on what you want out of your next iPhone. I'm more than happy with the 5's performance...but I am not happy with the exposed raw metal in several spots from a handful of light bumps it endured (forcing me to use a clunky case).