Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 217
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    andysol wrote: »
    Rogi- at this point, I'd almost say its a certainty.

It will be a certainty when Tim Cook announces it.

Right now it is rumor. Clever rumor but still rumor.

Keep in mind that if these are real someone probably just violated their contract with Apple and lost themselves a lot of business. Also 'teardrop iPhone'
  • Reply 42 of 217
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    What a bizarre and unfortunate choice of a name if true. :???:

:rolleyes:
    Or rather, brilliant?

iPhone 5C stands for Color. It is a big deal to have colored iPhones like this for the first time.

It also subtly stands for Cheap, which relatively speaking (relative to 5S) it will be.

It is positively brilliant, and there really is no other take on that.
  • Reply 43 of 217
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    charlituna wrote: »
    It will be a certainty when Tim Cook announces it.

Right now it is rumor. Clever rumor but still rumor.

Keep in mind that if these are real someone probably just violated their contract with Apple and lost themselves a lot of business. Also 'teardrop iPhone'

Anyone that has closely followed Apple rumors/leaks over the last decade knows with certainty that this one is locked up.

This one is as certain as, "iOS 7 will feature a major design overhaul by Jony Ive"
  • Reply 44 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Is this the iPhone 5C Packaging?

It seems like a bit of a bizarre shape for Apple packaging also.  For instance if the phone is displayed inside the same way as they do with everything else, it will lay in the top, so even if they have a (transparent plastic?) top, it will be hard to see any of the colour which is the main eye-catching feature of the product.  Unless they are going to make these in various colours to match the phones.  

Also the bottom is rounded on the inside as well as the outside so the usual cardboard insert that holds the charger and so forth underneath the phone will have to be curved.  Not saying it's impossible, just weird. The iPhone packaging up until now has been a plain card oars box, but here they are switching to an all plastic, all curved design which seems on the face of it to be less environmental, more expensive, harder to make, and perhaps shows off the product less.  

• Reply 45 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Or rather, brilliant?

iPhone 5C stands for Color. It is a big deal to have colored iPhones like this for the first time.

It also subtly stands for Cheap, which relatively speaking (relative to 5S) it will be.

It is positively brilliant, and there really is no other take on that.

The more I think of it, I think it refers to ... "colour" "curved" "cheap" "China" "cool" and probably others as well, all in one.  

They could even make a cool advert with the "c words."  You know the typical, "people chucking it about and saying the words" sort of thing. 

If it's the real deal though, I still think it would have made more sense to come out with "iPhone 6" and "iPhone 6c" rather than "iPhone 5s and "iPhone 5c" because the 5s will look and sound boring in comparison. 

• Reply 46 of 217
    No
    matrix07 wrote: »
    So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm...
    no because the iphone will be made of plastic and the iPod Touch is made of aluminum.
  • Reply 47 of 217
    iroebuciroebuc Posts: 5member

c for china

i like iPhone V for value and 5

• Reply 48 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Also 'teardrop iPhone'

Looking at all the "leaks" over the past months I keep thinking about the teardrop iPhone fiasco.

Although I'm convinced Apple will release a cheaper iPhone of sorts I have a suspicion this isn't it.

Could this be a controlled leak from Apple to act as a red herring from the 5S/6?

pmz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Or rather, brilliant?

5C is not brilliant at all.

It should simply be called the iPhone Color.

Honestly for me C = Cheap which should be what Apple DOES NOT want. And what does this phone have to do with the now old iPhone 5? Why is 5 in the name?

I'm hoping this is all fake because its more asinine than the plastic phones themselves are.
  • Reply 49 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Why does iPhone 5C have to be the low cost version? Maybe it is just the new name for the iPhone 5S.

• Reply 50 of 217
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

You sure it's not a Samsung phone?

• Reply 51 of 217
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

If this is true, RIP Steve's Apple.

• Reply 52 of 217
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member

This must be fake, and if not I hope it is. Those colours are too washed-out and insipid to match Apple's vision of a quality device. And the green is nearly identical to the yellow.

• Reply 53 of 217

That naming seems plausible but I prefer naming it iPhone Lite and iPhone Pro or simply iPhone and iPhone Pro.

• Reply 54 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

If this is true, RIP Steve's Apple.

This post makes me wish we had a "thumbs down" button as well as the "thumbs up" one.  

Come to think of it, why don't we have such a button? It would probably cut down on a lot of the short, "your post is shit," and "f*ck off" kind of replies.  

• Reply 55 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Sorry I don't see anything brilliant about iPhone 5C. And how would Apple sell it? We took your beautiful aluminum and glass iPhone 5 with diamond cut chamfered edges and replaced it with colored plastic? That's not brilliant it's stupid. Especially considering no one is expecting this cheaper iPhone to actually be cheap price wise.
  • Reply 56 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    makingdots wrote: »
    That naming seems plausible but I prefer naming it iPhone Lite and iPhone Pro or simply iPhone and iPhone Pro.
    Or how about iPhone and iPhone color? What would make the other one a "pro" phone anyway? I get why Apple uses the "pro" naming for computers that professionals use. But an iPhone that just has better internals and a nicer chassis doesn't scream "pro" to me.
  • Reply 57 of 217
    rogifan wrote: »
    Sorry I don't see anything brilliant about iPhone 5C. And how would Apple sell it? We took your beautiful aluminum and glass iPhone 5 with diamond cut chamfered edges and replaced it with colored plastic? That's not brilliant it's stupid. Especially considering no one is expecting this cheaper iPhone to actually be cheap price wise.

Well it'll at least be the same price as the equally tacky Nokia Lumia...
  • Reply 58 of 217
    notownnotown Posts: 39member
    I seriously doubt Apple would name any of their products with an implication that they are cheap. The hysteria over the iPad name subsided, but this 5c name goes in the same bin as the iPad Maxi rumors.

Like another suggested, I could see Apple dropping the numbering convention for just the 'iPhone' and 'iPhone Lite (or color)'. However, the 'lite' name would imply the internals are less than that of the high end iPhone. Perhaps they will be, but I haven't seen any rumors differentiating their specs all that much if at all. I could see Apple introducing the 'lite' line with specs on par with the high end and then dropping them down in subsequent years by using the lasts year's internals in the plastic casing. But that would mean next year's 'lite' line wouldn't change. So I don't really know what to make of it at all.

One final argument against the 'color' naming scheme is that it would imply the 5c displays color and the 5s does not. Anyone familiar with the old iPods would at least be reminded of this.
  • Reply 59 of 217
    rogifan wrote: »
    Or how about iPhone and iPhone color? What would make the other one a "pro" phone anyway? I get why Apple uses the "pro" naming for computers that professionals use. But an iPhone that just has better internals and a nicer chassis doesn't scream "pro" to me.

Fingerprint security and NFC would make the 5S Pro. I could see a lot of business uses for that technology actually.
  • Reply 60 of 217
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    Interesting!!!

I can't wait for the 5s, faster, bigger screen smaller phone ( edgeless ), new features.

To me the cost is always tempered by the fact that these products are more powerful than computers a few years back.

Haters of the iphone platform are predominantly non-consumers who want things for free. Free-riders. They want it badly but don't want to pay for it and oopting for the other phone and hating themselves for doing so, but blaming apple for it.

andysol wrote: »
    I understand your frustration. What I do is use a bumper and a media devil front and back wrap. The media devil one is perfect because it is super clear and the back aluminum section is matte. As for the bumper, it still keeps the phone super thin and sleek, while still maintaining protection for the front and back glass. If you had no case on the 5C- and were prone to dropping- could still break the glass- much like the 3-3GS.