Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Maybe it stands for "California"

This is totally tasteless, so … I think you might be right.  

The "New" Apple has a hard-on for California ("it's the place you oughta be"), and the bad taste to shove it in everyones face, so it kind of fits.  

Oh well, Steve Jobs loved Leopard skin patterns and wore those horrible jeans so I suppose they have always had their little moments of tastelessness at Apple. 

• Reply 62 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Fingerprint security and NFC would make the 5S Pro. I could see a lot of business uses for that technology actually.

Well they often do the unexpected, so how about the new "5s" is instead called "iPhone 6" and then this one is "iPhone 5c."  That way it's right up front that this is last years internals in this years coloured packaging, but the "5s" already sounds way cooler and newer and totally different from the other one because it's a brand new "iPhone 6."

Just a guess/thought. I think predictions are harder this year than ever before. 

• Reply 63 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    notown wrote: »
    One final argument against the 'color' naming scheme is that it would imply the 5c displays color and the 5s does not. Anyone familiar with the old iPods would at least be reminded of this.

I've thought about that but it's been a decade since the iPod Color so I don think that would be too confusing for people.

Also "Color" would be the least tarnishing moniker for this device compared to Lite, Cheap, Budget, etc.
  • Reply 64 of 217
    connieconnie Posts: 101member

I have a slight suspicion that this rumor is true, and the phone will be called the Iphone 5 c. But hopefully my suspicion is wrong.

• Reply 65 of 217
    dan uffdan uff Posts: 11member
    I am very surprised that this and other web sites are even giving this story the light of day. Why would Apple call something with a "C" at the end? And, when have you known for the company to use cheap plastic packaging for something as important as an iPhone?
  • Reply 66 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Just a guess/thought. I think predictions are harder this year than ever before. 

True.

Apple has done a lot of unexpected things over the past 12 months.

I'm very curious what we'll see from the iPhone event this fall...
  • Reply 67 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why would they call it iPhone 5 though? Why not just iPhone and iPhone color? But even that doesn't make much sense because then the lower tier iPhones would always be associated with colors. Unless Apple expects cheaper iPhones to always come in colors?

What about next year there is an iPhone 6C. This is probably just using the iPhone 5 internals,and so the 5 nomenclature emphasises that.
  • Reply 68 of 217
    Sorry I don't see anything brilliant about iPhone 5C. And how would Apple sell it? We took your beautiful aluminum and glass iPhone 5 with diamond cut chamfered edges and replaced it with colored plastic? That's not brilliant it's stupid. Especially considering no one is expecting this cheaper iPhone to actually be cheap price wise.

No one on here is, but there is a middle class American bias on this site. It will probably be mid-market - which would make it better than most of the competition at that price.
  • Reply 69 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

True.

Apple has done a lot of unexpected things over the past 12 months.

I'm very curious what we'll see from the iPhone event this fall...

Interestingly, iLounge had a rumour a while ago that matches everything we've seen in the last few weeks and even gets the name "5c" right:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130423230327/http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rumors/entry/budget-iphone/

and even earlier:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130423143259/http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/new-details-on-apples-budget-iphone-5/

I remember both of these sounded boring or crazy at the time to me, but they match almost exactly what we are now seeing. 

• Reply 70 of 217
    blackbook wrote: »
    Looking at all the "leaks" over the past months I keep thinking about the teardrop iPhone fiasco.

Although I'm convinced Apple will release a cheaper iPhone of sorts I have a suspicion this isn't it.

Could this be a controlled leak from Apple to act as a red herring from the 5S/6?
    5C is not brilliant at all.

It should simply be called the iPhone Color.

Honestly for me C = Cheap which should be what Apple DOES NOT want. And what does this phone have to do with the now old iPhone 5? Why is 5 in the name?

I'm hoping this is all fake because its more asinine than the plastic phones themselves are.

Nobody actually believed the teardrop thing did they? There was one source, clearly a mock up. Here we have seen the packaging, the back with metal casings, the coloured backs from two or three different sources. Unless a lot of people have a lot of time on their hands, this is clearly true.

And... 5 is in the name because the internals are the same as the 5.
  • Reply 71 of 217
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    pmz wrote: »
    iPhone 5C stands for Color. It is a big deal to have colored iPhones like this for the first time.

It also subtly stands for Cheap, which relatively speaking (relative to 5S) it will be.

It is positively brilliant, and there really is no other take on that.

The next two models wouldn't work though as they can't have 6C and 6 and then 6C and 6S.

I'm wondering if they'll instead go with iPhone 6 and iPhone 5C and then iPhone 7 and iPhone 6C. That way you know you're getting a variant of the old model in the cheaper model and it gets away from there being an 'S' model every year, which some people see as being an off-year.

As for the colors, I think they will look a bit nicer in person than the photos show and they'll look better on their own. I reckon they'll look a bit like the top row in the following image:

The second row shows some bolder colors. I prefer a bolder red than the pepto-bismol color but the other colors probably won't be too bad. In general, my preference is just the black/white/silver styling at the bottom. A little boring to some perhaps but I feel more neutral towards those styles. Colors can be very polarising e.g hate custard yellow or love deep red. Pretty much every Mac user has a silver and black machine and over 400 million iPhone and iPad users are happy with their black/white/silver devices.

That being said, I think the iPod Touch colors look nice. I don't feel the same about colored plastic. I think the white one looks so much better than the others and I suspect it will be the preferred option. It would be interesting to see which colors sell most but I doubt we'll ever get to know - perhaps if there are shortages of one particular color.
  • Reply 72 of 217
    shevshev Posts: 84member

iPhone 5[C] and iPhone 6. Think they may want to step away from the S as the Galaxy is going up in numbered increments every year and it gives off the wrong impression. There was a decent article on here a few months back about that.

The 5C clearly defines that it's the old version in colours and the iPhone 6 is the main man. The people who don't want to spend more will still be getting a quality phone with a new design at a lower price point while people who want the premium status or features will still pay the same price as they currently do. Dropping the [S] can only have a positive outcome in terms of the consumer mindset.

C standing for cheap, who cares. S could stand for shit and they've done okay for the last 4 years with that :-S

• Reply 73 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    So this is iPod Touch replacement, or this year new iPod Touch will be even cheaper. hmm…

No, not in the slightest. The iPhone will never be an iPod touch replacement.
  • Reply 74 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    asdasd wrote: »
    No one on here is, but there is a middle class American bias on this site. It will probably be mid-market - which would make it better than most of the competition at that price.
    Well if Apple has decided to go downmarket then go all the way and price it at less than $400 unlocked. If a 32GB aluminum iPod touch sells for $299 there's no reason a plastic iPhone should sell for more than $400.
  • Reply 75 of 217

nevermind.

• Reply 76 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »
    The next two models wouldn't work though as they can't have 6C and 6 and then 6C and 6S.

I'm wondering if they'll instead go with iPhone 6 and iPhone 5C and then iPhone 7 and iPhone 6C. That way you know you're getting a variant of the old model in the cheaper model and it gets away from there being an 'S' model every year, which some people see as being an off-year.

As for the colors, I think they will look a bit nicer in person than the photos show and they'll look better on their own. I reckon they'll look a bit like the top row in the following image:

The second row shows some bolder colors. I prefer a bolder red than the pepto-bismol color but the other colors probably won't be too bad. In general, my preference is just the black/white/silver styling at the bottom. A little boring to some perhaps but I feel more neutral towards those styles. Colors can be very polarising e.g hate custard yellow or love deep red. Pretty much every Mac user has a silver and black machine and over 400 million iPhone and iPad users are happy with their black/white/silver devices.

That being said, I think the iPod Touch colors look nice. I don't feel the same about colored plastic. I think the white one looks so much better than the others and I suspect it will be the preferred option. It would be interesting to see which colors sell most but I doubt we'll ever get to know - perhaps if there are shortages of one particular color.

Ooh don't like those at all. The salmon colored one looks like a pencil eraser.
  • Reply 77 of 217
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member

Iphone 5 C (ooke)

Iphone 5 C (an't wait to get one)

Iphone 5 C (huckle at all the people who said there never would be one)

• Reply 78 of 217
    Well if Apple has decided to go downmarket then go all the way and price it at less than $400 unlocked. If a 32GB aluminum iPod touch sells for $299 there's no reason a plastic iPhone should sell for more than $400.

Well it will come in models of course, but thats about right. It needs to be priced at, or below, what the 4S would have been priced at had it been continued. Next year - and this explains the 5 in the 5C - the update on this line is the 6C, built on the 6 internals. I am assuming the new phone this year is called the iPhone 6; however the 5c still sells at $100 or more less, similar to the way the iPod touch market works now.

There may also be a bigger screen model every year, maybe called the iPhone 6S. S for screen.

EDIT: So models this year - 2013/2014 - are the iPhone 6, and iPhone 5c. Next year, the iPhone 7, iPhone 6c, and the iPhone 5c.

Possibly also an iPhone 7s. Thats all they need, leaving the sub $300 market to Andoird.
  • Reply 79 of 217
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.

Maybe Apple are aware of this and the 5S will be constructed from another more durable material (Liquidmetal would be nice but is very-very unlikely!) or maybe they'll PVD or CLD coat the new device to help reduce the scratching and denting issues - it would add to the price but they'll have the mid-tier 5C by then as the more affordable version anyway. I just hope the 5C will incorporate an Apple A-series SoC and not the rumoured off the shelf Samsung item.

• Reply 80 of 217
    The evidence is overwhelming for this iPhone and people are still thinking all these pictures are fake.

As for Apple using plastic packaging: iPad Shuffle, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPod Headphones, and I'm sure there is more if I thought about it. If they use a clear front like the iPod packaging, that phone is going to look very drool worth with all the different colors.