Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 81 of 217
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Isn't anyone around at AI to correct that "peaks" in the second paragraph of the story to "peeks"?

Edit: why bother..
  • Reply 82 of 217
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'm all for the iPhone lite, but I don't believe this one. Plastic packaging? No. One thing I like about Apple is their efforts to reduce their environmental footprint. This doesn't do that.

Have they ever packaged using plastic?

Agree.  I'd think that Apple would use bio-degradable paper and cardboard for the larger iDevices.

But yes, some of the iPods and earbuds come in plastic packaging.

• Reply 83 of 217
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

If the low-cost iPhone is called the iPhone 5C, then two years from now Apple will be either 1. forced to bump the iPhone's numerical designation every year or 2. drop the numbering scheme entirely.

This is how the iPhone naming scheme appears to evolving:

2013: iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C

2014: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6C

2015: iPhone 7 and iPhone 7C or "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone C"

2016: iPhone 8 and iPhone 8C or "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone C"

etc.

Starting in 2015, the two models will just be called "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone C."

If and only if this year's low-cost model is called "5C."

• Reply 84 of 217
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Then the high end will be called iphone 6, so next year we have iphone 6c and not iphone 5 sc

Exactly.  I will be somewhat surprised if Apple releases a product called the iPhone 5S.  People assume that when Apple does something twice that they are locked into that pattern forever.  We've seen plenty of times when Apple changes course, especially on something minor like a product naming convention.

• Reply 85 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what happens in 2014 when presumably the 6 comes out? What will this phone be called then?

The horrible punster in me can't help thinking of a terrible ad campaign, "I'm Too 6C For My Phone," by Right Said Fred.

• Reply 86 of 217
    1983 wrote: »
    Maybe Apple are aware of this and the 5S will be constructed from another more durable material (Liquidmetal would be nice but is very-very unlikely!) or maybe they'll PVD or CLD coat the new device to help reduce the scratching and denting issues - it would add to the price but they'll have the mid-tier 5C by then as the more affordable version anyway. I just hope the 5C will incorporate an Apple A-series SoC and not the rumoured off the shelf Samsung item.

It will be made from IGZO and unicorn hair.
  • Reply 87 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I agree about the top row being the closest to the leaks we've seen.  I think the reasoning here is "bright" colours, but avoiding the eye-bleeding primary colours used by Nokia and Windows Phone if only to differentiate themselves.  

I think it also makes sense not to do black, because the type of guys that like the black gear will more likely go for the high end metal phone than a plastic phone.  

I wonder why there is no purple or pink though?  These are this years two hottest colours along with the sort of coral-pinkish-orange they do show.  

Personally, I would totally buy a grape coloured iPhone.  

If anyone wants a business idea, start making stickers like this to sell on eBay:

Edit: I kinda want one already.  image  Here's hoping they are at least slightly better specs than the current iPhone 5 so I can upgrade. 

• Reply 88 of 217
    malax wrote: »
    Exactly.  I will be somewhat surprised if Apple releases a product called the iPhone 5S.  People assume that when Apple does something twice that they are locked into that pattern forever.  We've seen plenty of times when Apple changes course, especially on something minor like a product naming convention.

Precisely. Particularly people who think Apple has a regular schedule for reinventing stuff based on past cadence.
  • Reply 89 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="malax" url="/t/158744/rumor-photo-may-show-retail-packaging-for-apples-low-cost-iphone-5c/80#post_2369306"]
    I will be somewhat surprised if Apple releases a product called the iPhone 5S.[/QUOTE]

Why? It's obvious that's what the product will be. Apple's known for doing the opposite of what people expect except when they expect it.

[COLOR=white]I'll leave it to the readers to see if I'm being sarcastic.[/COLOR]
  • Reply 90 of 217
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post

C is for crap

You can call it crap all you want, but I'll bet the farm these will sell very well, especially to the younger people. 

• Reply 91 of 217
    I
    pmz wrote: »
    Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.

I have to agree. The iPhone 5 design is svelte but not practical in many ways. It requires quite a bit of precision to build correctly and defect free, but doesn't use an especially high grade aluminum or anodizing process.

The iPhone 5C should be far easier to build right out the box, and wear better.
  • Reply 92 of 217
    technarchy wrote: »
    The iPhone 5 design is svelte but not practical in many ways. It requires quite a bit of precision to build correctly and defect free, but doesn't use an especially high grade aluminum or anodizing process.

And yet nobody pines for a thicker, plastic bodied MacBook Pro...
  • Reply 93 of 217
    It's a wild guess but maybe it's iPhone 5S built for Russian market? Letter S is written as C in russian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/С , but like I said it's a wild guess and I may be completely off...
  • Reply 94 of 217

How much money will Apple save by switching from metal to plastic?  I can't see that knocking more than $10 off the price.

• Reply 95 of 217
    citycity Posts: 522member

Apple should produce these in 65 different colors with certain colors only available in certain regions or countries. If someone wants purple they might need to go California to get it or to the Midwest for brown or France for....

I liked the shape of the 3SG in my hand or sliding it into my pocket. I like the esthetics of the 4s and the 5. The glass back of the 4s are probably the most expensive to manufacture.

• Reply 96 of 217

C most likely would stand for Consumer since it's their non-business version of the phone.

• Reply 97 of 217

The name is really awful. Also it seems that Tim Cook doubled down on secrecy on products once again image

• Reply 98 of 217
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

People were complaining about Apple products being too expensive? Well they got their wish, this phone is for them. They can kindly stfu now, IMO.

Not quite yet... we still need a 15" laptop that doesn't cost as much as a diamond ring. Right now the only way to get a MacBook under ~$2000 is to settle for a 13" screen.

• Reply 99 of 217
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    v5v wrote: »
    Not quite yet... we still need a 15" laptop that doesn't cost as much as a diamond ring. Right now the only way to get a MacBook under ~$2000 is to settle for a 13" screen.

Well, unless you consider $1799 to be "under ~$2000" as most people would. Or you could buy a refurb for $1449.
  • Reply 100 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macxpress wrote: »
    You can call it crap all you want, but I'll bet the farm these will sell very well, especially to the younger people. 

Does selling a lot somehow stop the product from being crap?
    Also it seems that Tim Cook doubled down on secrecy on products once again

Shut up.