Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 101 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The iPhone packaging up until now has been a plain card oars box, but here they are switching to an all plastic, all curved design which seems on the face of it to be less environmental, more expensive, harder to make, and perhaps shows off the product less.  

Actually the card stock version is more expensive. With that version they have a four step process. Die cut, glue, print the 4-color, then laminate it to the box. Very labor intensive and quite slow with high defect rate. Injection moulding is much faster and only has two steps. Mold and screen print and it runs entirely automated.

Quote:

Agree.  I'd think that Apple would use bio-degradable paper and cardboard for the larger iDevices.

But yes, some of the iPods and earbuds come in plastic packaging.

Bio-degradable does not represent some major success for recyclable materials. It represents fail as paper should not end up in the land fill to start with. The injection molded packaging may already be made with some recycled plastic and should be recycled again if disposed of properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Langanki View Post

How much money will Apple save by switching from metal to plastic?  I can't see that knocking more than $10 off the price.

Material costs are only one aspect of the price, labor is another and the molded case will save substantially in that respect. When producing the beveled anodized aluminum cases the labor and defect rate are extremely high. Molded plastic is really easy to achieve near zero defects. When manufacturing in such huge volume you need to calculate all the costs. They are likely saving pennies on every step.

• Reply 102 of 217
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    acatomic wrote: »
    It's a wild guess but maybe it's iPhone 5S built for Russian market? Letter S is written as C in russian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/С , but like I said it's a wild guess and I may be completely off...

Maybe. I would also buy that "C" will be seen in China as significant.
    How much money will Apple save by switching from metal to plastic?  I can't see that knocking more than $10 off the price.

My information, based on remote viewing of Tim Cook's spreadsheets, is that all that metal handling costs twice as much as the screen, or $70, plus you have to throw in another $30 on amortizing the machinery, and then add the markup, so you're at near $200 retail. Take with a dumptruck of road salt, as in the image TS supplied the other day.
  • Reply 103 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    When producing the beveled anodized aluminum cases the labor and defect rate are extremely high. Molded plastic is really easy to achieve near zero defects.

Kindly cite defect rates in actual numbers, not hand-waving hyperbole.
  • Reply 104 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

When producing the beveled anodized aluminum cases the labor and defect rate are extremely high. Molded plastic is really easy to achieve near zero defects.

Did you miss the article where Apple sent hundreds of thousands of iPhones back to Foxcon due to defects in manufacturing?

Or the one that stated Foxcon said the iPhone 5 was the most difficult device to manufacture or the article that stated that they had to manufacture dozens of different size glass inserts to accommodate the slight irregularities in the case machining?

• Reply 105 of 217
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    technarchy wrote: »
    I
    I have to agree. The iPhone 5 design is svelte but not practical in many ways. It requires quite a bit of precision to build correctly and defect free, but doesn't use an especially high grade aluminum or anodizing process.

The iPhone 5C should be far easier to build right out the box, and wear better.

And you know this how? Do you work at Apple?

Btw, the black HTC One scuffs too, so I suppose they don't use high grade materials either?
  • Reply 106 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    Did you miss the article where Apple sent hundreds of thousands of iPhones back to Foxcon due to defects in manufacturing?

Or the one that stated Foxcon said the iPhone 5 was the most difficult device to manufacture or the article that stated that they had to manufacture dozens of different size glass inserts to accommodate the slight irregularities in the case machining?
    When did Apple ever confirm that story? We have no idea if it was true or not. I don't argue that iPhone 5 is difficult to manufacture but I also don't believe every story I read either as when it comes to Apple, lots of stuff gets written that can never be proven.
  • Reply 107 of 217
    If Apple had a huge defect rate wouldn't that ultimately show up in their financials? Wouldn't they have to expense all these defective iPhones?

This reminds me of all these shipped doesn't equal sold arguments but no one is ever able to show financial data on all these write offs of unsold phones.
  • Reply 108 of 217
    Has anyone mentioned that the "c" could be for "compact"?

It could just be the iPhone 5 but in a much much smaller casing similar to the iPod Touch.

Just an idea.
  • Reply 109 of 217
    pmz wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Or rather, brilliant?

iPhone 5C stands for Color. It is a big deal to have colored iPhones like this for the first time.

It also subtly stands for Cheap, which relatively speaking (relative to 5S) it will be.

It is positively brilliant, and there really is no other take on that.

I agree that this is brilliant, with the explicit focus being "color," and the tacit implication being "cheap(er)." I think this will be especially significant as the main iPhone loses color. I think the ultimate design direction is going to be similar to the current iPod touch, hopefully using liquid metal. (*) An all metal back, combined with a shrinking bezel, leaves little room for color; just sleek metal and glass. This also leaves open the use of a pro moniker, while maintaining the number scheme helps people feel comfortable they have the newer version, as the phone design is going to start looking more homogenous as time goes on.

Here's how I see it playing out:
    2013: iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s
    2014: iPhone 6c, iPhone 6
    2015: iPhone 6c, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Pro
    2016: iPhone c, iPhone, iPhone Pro

*Before someone mentions radio opacity, just remember Apple's patent about embedding radio antennas into very thin openings in a metal enclosure.
  • Reply 110 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Oh! Remember the fake packaging for the iPhone 5 two years ago? The Chinese printing press that was creating the 5 at the time the 4S came out?

There you go, more dissent.
  • Reply 111 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If Apple had a huge defect rate wouldn't that ultimately show up in their financials? Wouldn't they have to expense all these defective iPhones?

This reminds me of all these shipped doesn't equal sold arguments but no one is ever able to show financial data on all these write offs of unsold phones.

Not really. Foxcon is selling the iPhones to Apple. Defects are built into their contract. If a worker screws up a part, that adds to Foxcon's expenses.

Perhaps I could have included the word probably. But for some reason SN needs to single me out asking for exact numbers to argue against my perfectly reasonable assumption that there are a lot of things that could go wrong with making such a complex case. It should be perfectly obvious to anyone who has even the slightest experience in these manufacturing processes. For one thing in comparing injection molding to the machined case the molded case has one step. If that step fails you have only lost a second or two of machine time and 2 cents worth of plastic. In the case of the machined part each step, of many, is building upon the previous step. If in the final beveling you get a knick as was reported by some users, you have thrown out all of the previous steps and the associated labor cost.

It is so damn obvious it seem ludicrous to debate. Anyone who asks for exact figures for something that is clearly unknowable is just being a smart ass, especially if the premise is totally logical.

• Reply 112 of 217

Just had a thought that if Apple came out with an iPhone that has a larger screen, that it would want to continue making phones with smaller screens. The smaller one would of course cost less.

Therefore, to differentiate between the 2, the smaller one would have the "c" for "compact" and the larger one would just be the iPhone.

The goal would be to get the smaller one as small as possible and not worry so much about always have the latest hardware and the larger one would always have the latest hardware.

Thoughts?

• Reply 113 of 217
    That's actually the back of the case for the iPhone 5C. It's got a 168 hour battery.
  • Reply 114 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh! Remember the fake packaging for the iPhone 5 two years ago? The Chinese printing press that was creating the 5 at the time the 4S came out?

There you go, more dissent.

True, however in that previous instance there were several things wrong with that photo. Producing that single fake press sheet could have been done for less than $100 where as these molded cases would require somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 for making the die, Of course they could have been printed on a 3D printer for considerably less so yeah they could be fake, sure. They also could be a mold for some completely unrelated product that someone just screen printed with iPhone 5C for a joke.

They look pretty real to me.

• Reply 115 of 217
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is totally tasteless, so … I think you might be right.  

The "New" Apple has a hard-on for California ("it's the place you oughta be"), and the bad taste to shove it in everyones face, so it kind of fits.  

They may brand it as a California style phone that is waterproof and durable for all those people who are surfing and playing sports like in the commercials.
  • Reply 116 of 217
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

C for childish as in making cheap crap comment.

Says Adam "C" as in … :P

• Reply 117 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

You can call it crap all you want, but I'll bet the farm these will sell very well, especially to the younger people. 

Assuming it has better specs than whatever your current phone is, I think it will sell well to a lot of people. Especially if they do as expected and sell it in the Apple Store for $350 or so.  

For instance I now have the iPhone 5.  If I want to upgrade it this year, it's $200 at the (horrible, rapacious, underhanded, asshole) carrier store, and I have to sign in blood for another 2 years.  If there was a phone of similar specification that I could walk into an (pleasant, helpful, cheery) Apple store and buy off the shelf for $350 to replace it with, I probably would.  Swap the sim and away you go.  I could also sell or pass-on my old phone to someone so there is an extra value there too.  

If you change the equation so that instead of me and my iPhone 5, it's someone else with an iPhone 4 or 4s, the case is even easier to make.  Even at $400 they would be shovelling these things out the door.  

• Reply 118 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rogifan wrote: »

Presumably:

1) They are not resold. They are taken apart by FoxConn.
    2) Apple defers the cost to FoxConn. Or rather they don't pay FoxConn for defective phones, so the investigation should be in FoxConns financials, if any.

Of course there is a cost to Apple as these defects tend to happen in the first quarters of production, which Apple in their wisdom have decided to be in the busier part of the year, and so demand doesn't meet supply and customers are lost. Thats hard to estimate, because its a counter factual
  • Reply 119 of 217
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickimsonik View Post

The name is really awful. Also it seems that Tim Cook doubled down on secrecy on products once again image

Isn't it obvious that "C" stands for "Cook" ?

• Reply 120 of 217
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The iPod strategy.

A cheaper iPhone would be the equivalent of the iPod Nano.

Makes sense.