Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 121 of 217
    ko024ko024 Posts: 68member
    It's called 5C because apple knows the 5S is experiencing major delays and will not be released this year. Might even be called the 6 once released next year... Think about it, if this phone was being released alongside the 5S, wouldn't we be seeing just as many leaks for that phone!? We aren't, and apple is saving face by at least releasing a iPhone-5 variant...
  • Reply 122 of 217
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

EDIT: So models this year - 2013/2014 - are the iPhone 6, and iPhone 5c. Next year, the iPhone 7, iPhone 6c, and the iPhone 5c.

Possibly also an iPhone 7s. Thats all they need, leaving the sub $300 market to Andoird.

One data point does not make a line.  

It's more like because of the shift away from the iPhone 4 and 4S, Apple has chosen to sell a cheaper iPhone 5 (the 5C) instead of keeping the 5 in its current form and also selling a 5S.  I expect he 5S to be exactly the same as the current 5's machined aluminum shell or a totally new design (less likely).  The 5C will allow apple to cut out the iPhone 4 and 4S and its fancy but expensive to produce chassis-frame design in favor of a much less expensive plastic case while still giving us the performance of the 5.

Don't expect it to be a trend, though.   

• Reply 123 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    One data point does not make a line.  

It's more like because of the shift away from the iPhone 4 and 4S, Apple has chosen to sell a cheaper iPhone 5 (the 5C) instead of keeping the 5 in its current form and also selling a 5S.  I expect he 5S to be exactly the same as the current 5's machined aluminum shell or a totally new design (less likely).  The 5C will allow apple to cut out the iPhone 4 and 4S and its fancy but expensive to produce chassis-frame design in favor of a much less expensive plastic case while still giving us the performance of the 5.

Don't expect it to be a trend, though.   

Why wouldn't it be a trend? Are you saying next year they will go back to one model and the coloured line will be sold as the last years model, and the year after that its back to another one model, with the previous year's model being sold as the cheaper line dropping the coloured models?

Thats quite simply, nuts. This is a new product line.
  • Reply 124 of 217
    ko024 wrote: »
    It's called 5C because apple knows the 5S is experiencing major delays and will not be released this year. Might even be called the 6 once released next year... Think about it, if this phone was being released alongside the 5S, wouldn't we be seeing just as many leaks for that phone!? We aren't, and apple is saving face by at least releasing a iPhone-5 variant...

The 5S probably looks like the 5. So it would be hard to show new pictures. And looking like the 5 means they know how to manufacture it.
  • Reply 125 of 217
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    There is a rumor that the launch will be at an event on september 6th
  • Reply 126 of 217
    So, if it is a "5" then we can expect it to have identical internals to the current iPhone 5. If Apple can pull that off for $0 for an 8GB version and $99 for 16GB, with $349 for 8GB version and $429 for 16GB, they will have pulled off a minor miracle. I would be surprised if it did have a "5" in the name. I would be less surprised if the 5S replaced by a 5C, or that these were misprinted, and are in the reject bin.
  • Reply 127 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Why wouldn't it be a trend? Are you saying next year they will go back to one model and the coloured line will be sold as the last years model, and the year after that its back to another one model, with the previous year's model being sold as the cheaper line dropping the coloured models?

Thats quite simply, nuts. This is a new product line.

How can one point in time be a trend?

I'm not saying anything about the future except the very near future.  Nothing about 2014/15.

If there's anything about Apple we know, is that we don't know until it happens.  Unless it's leaked.  And then it's not confirmed until it actually happens.

Of course the 5C is a new model.  But that doesn't mean it won't reuse the same processor and be the same speed equivalent as the current 5.  Compare the iPad mini to the iPad 2 as an example.

Either way, I predict all iPhone 4 models to be dropped.

• Reply 128 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

There is a rumor that the launch will be at an event on september 6th

http://www.loopinsight.com/2013/07/26/the-rumored-iphone-sept-6-launch/

• Reply 129 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

… Don't expect it to be a trend, though.   

You have nothing to support this statement.  

• Reply 130 of 217
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member

I don't get the 'belly aching', if you don't want a more affordable iPhone then just get the flagship model.

I think they are getting rid of people excuses for not getting one "iPhone being too expensive".

Lets face it, apple don't often release a product that isn't completely polished & shmick.

Really tho, i hope the lite or C does come out.

• Reply 131 of 217
    gazoobee wrote: »

If so it probably won't have iOS 7, but there is no need to couple hardware and software releases. In fact with multiple hardware lines they should be decoupled.
  • Reply 132 of 217
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    ko024 wrote: »

You mention an interesting point. Leaks for the presumably higher end model are where?
  • Reply 133 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

I don't get the 'belly aching', if you don't want a more affordable iPhone then just get the flagship model.

I think they are getting rid of people excuses for not getting one "iPhone being too expensive".

Lets face it, apple don't often release a product that isn't completely polished & shmick.

Really tho, i hope the lite or C does come out.

For me it has more to do with what Apple is doing to their brand. As an enthusiast for Apple, a cheap looking plastic phone does concern me.

Contrary to some others, I have always supported the idea of a cheaper iPhone and I supported the idea of the iPad Mini unlike some other enthusiast here.

But my vision of a cheaper iPhone is NOT cheap looking plastic. Why wouldn't Apple instead just use the anodized aluminum they have been using in their $50 iPods? Whats with the cheap looking plastic?

They honestly wouldn't save much money using plastic, and the plastic also has the negative affect of devaluing their brand identity IMO. It's not worth it, especially if their still going to price this device north of $400.

• Reply 134 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

I'm really sick of the iPhone 5's design. I feel (as pretty as it may be) that it is economically flawed, scratches too easy, dents too easy, and becomes too bulky with a case.

The iPhone 5C, much like the 3G & 3GS, does not need a case at all. And is actually thinner than an iPhone 5 wearing a case or bumper.

Apple would have to blow me away with performance and new features of the 5S to convince me to go that route instead of just getting a 5C. This is the design I actually want.

I'm kind of with you on this pmz....It's all about the "jeans test!" A little iPhone in white plastic, that weighs the same (or less) than the iP5 is what I will go for....Along with an iPad Mini, new TimeCapsule, iCloud/Dropbox and an ATV. I'm golden! :)

• Reply 135 of 217
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Just glad they didn't call it the iPhone Lite. That sounded like something with the blurb "as seen on TV" or "Just pay shipping and handling"

As guesses go, I predicted it would be called the colorful new iPhone 5, I thought about C, but for all of the mocking here, felt there was no way. Calling it an iPhone 5 makes a lot of sense tho, with a C or not. It tells the public that is is every bit as sophisticated as the current iPhone 5, just in a colorful plastic casing. Simple. Affordable. Profitable, Everybody Wins.

And as long as I am keeping score, I predicted months ago that they HAD to get rid of the aluminum 5 once the 5s was released. Not for any other reason that it NEVER made sense selling the difficult to make previous iPhones and sell them at entry level prices. NEVER made sense. And as predictions go, mine are also usually 99% better than analysts with supposed insider information that get paid to do it.

• Reply 136 of 217
    ingela wrote: »
    Just glad they didn't call it the iPhone Lite. That sounded like something with the blurb "as seen on TV" or "Just pay shipping and handling"

As guesses go, I predicted it would be called the colorful new iPhone 5, I thought about C, but for all of the mocking here, felt there was no way. Calling it an iPhone 5 makes a lot of sense tho, with a C or not. It tells the public that is is every bit as sophisticated as the current iPhone 5, just in a colorful plastic casing. Simple. Affordable. Profitable, Everybody Wins.

And as long as I am keeping score, I predicted months ago that they HAD to get rid of the aluminum 5 once the 5s was released. Not for any other reason that it NEVER made sense selling the difficult to make previous iPhones and sell them at entry level prices. NEVER made sense. And as predictions go, mine are also usually 99% better than analysts with supposed insider information that get paid to do it.

Not only that but old phones sold by Apple compete with their own second hand market. Which reduces sales by Apple.
  • Reply 137 of 217
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Well, unless you consider $1799 to be "under ~$2000" as most people would. Or you could buy a refurb for $1449.

Yes, and $1,999.99 is less than $2000. Sorry, I forgot the audience. Do please focus on the details while ignoring the overall point. image

In this particular jurisdiction, $1800 becomes MORE than $2000 after Provincial and Federal taxes, but y'know, ignore that and just be pedantic because that's more fun than addressing the actual point, which is a discussion of whether or not there's a viable market for a less expensive 15".

There are people who want a laptop rather than a tablet for various reasons (easier to type, runs Photoshop, don't have to hold it), and obviously lots of people prefer a 15" screen over the 13", but it hurts to drop even $1500 on a machine someone will use for web surfing, email and light photo manipulation.

I don't imagine a 15" Air would be all that popular since it sorta defeats the slim/compact/light point of that machine, but maybe they can do what they're rumored to be doing with the iPhone, which is make a device in a similar form factor but designed for lower cost. The $1000 white plastic MacBook sold really well. I miss that.

• Reply 138 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Yes, and $1,999.99 is less than $2000. Sorry, I forgot the audience. Do please focus on the details while ignoring the overall point. image

In this particular jurisdiction, $1800 becomes MORE than $2000 after Provincial and Federal taxes, but y'know, ignore that and just be pedantic because that's more fun than addressing the actual point, which is a discussion of whether or not there's a viable market for a less expensive 15".

There are people who want a laptop rather than a tablet for various reasons (easier to type, runs Photoshop, don't have to hold it), and obviously lots of people prefer a 15" screen over the 13", but it hurts to drop even $1500 on a machine someone will use for web surfing, email and light photo manipulation.

I don't imagine a 15" Air would be all that popular since it sorta defeats the slim/compact/light point of that machine, but maybe they can do what they're rumored to be doing with the iPhone, which is make a device in a similar form factor but designed for lower cost. The $1000 white plastic MacBook sold really well. I miss that.

Not to step in but you're being ridiculous.  

In the first place you can't use an approximation for your price complaint and then complain when the other person uses an exact price.  Secondly, you're both actually in agreement that the price is "around" $2,000 which is a very typical, reasonable price nowadays and significantly cheaper than the historical price of the average computer or laptop computer.  To argue that $2,000 for a 15" top of the line laptop is "expensive" is just silly.  Finally, your statement that "obviously lots of people prefer a 15" screen over the 13" (screen)" is categorically wrong.  The 13" screen is and always has been the far more popular choice.  I've been working with computers for decades and the 15" screen users are few and far between.  They are usually "special" users in my experience in every sense of that term. 

Why don't you just admit that *you* want a 15" laptop, you want it dirt cheap, and you are pissed that no one seems to agree with you. 

• Reply 139 of 217
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In the first place you can't use an approximation for your price complaint and then complain when the other person uses an exact price.

What is it with you guys? I said "~$2000" which means "around" $2000. $1800 IS around $2000 especially after taxes. But the exact amount plus or minus $100 obviously isn't really the point, is it? The point I was making is that the price of entry for a 15" Mac is up there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

To argue that $2,000 for a 15" top of the line laptop is "expensive" is just silly.

Not everyone needs top-of-the-line. Did you miss the part where I mentioned a machine for web surfing, email and light photo manipulation that isn't an iPad?

The current approach is similar to Mercedes making you buy their top-of-the-line model to get a four-door.

Quote:

Finally, your statement that "obviously lots of people prefer a 15" screen over the 13" (screen)" is categorically wrong.

No, it categorically ISN'T. Read what I wrote. I did not say MORE people, I said LOTS OF people. Obviously that must be true or Apple wouldn't make them anymore. That may be YOUR experience, but you know better than anyone that your anecdotal observations represent a drip in a bucket compared to the world market. In our plant there isn't a single 13" -- not even one -- but I wouldn't presume to generalize that to assume nobody else buys them either.

Quote:

Why don't you just admit that *you* want a 15" laptop, you want it dirt cheap, and you are pissed that no one seems to agree with you. 

A more relevant admission would seem to be that you don't know shit about me, my uses or my wants. I do not want a 15", I want a 17 or bigger but I know that's not going to happen so I don't bother bugging people here about it. I don't give Shit One if anyone here agrees or disagrees, what has me pissed is the needling and nitpicking in response as if finding any flaw in my statements renders the point invalid. I expect that kind of bullshit from JR, but you're better than that 'Zoob.

• Reply 140 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You have nothing to support this statement.  

You have nothing to refute it.  

I guess that makes us both analysts, huh?