Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 141 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

So, if it is a "5" then we can expect it to have identical internals to the current iPhone 5. 

I can't recall Apple ever doing that. Replacing the shell with the exact same internals. I believe we saw one leaked shot of the bottom and it only had one speaker grille. I would not be surprised if they have cut costs in dozens of ways throughout the entire design. Perhaps a lower res camera. Who knows, it may not even be LTE or retina. It all depends how low they want to set the price and who the target market is.

• Reply 142 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    Did you miss the article where Apple sent hundreds of thousands of iPhones back to Foxcon due to defects in manufacturing?

Or the one that stated Foxcon said the iPhone 5 was the most difficult device to manufacture or the article that stated that they had to manufacture dozens of different size glass inserts to accommodate the slight irregularities in the case machining?

Yield rates for both injection molded plastic vs machined aluminum, please. From Apple's suppliers. Thank you in advance for providing numbers instead of using characterizations like "extremely high" and "near zero."
  • Reply 143 of 217
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does selling a lot somehow stop the product from being crap?

Shut up.

Did I ever say it wasn't? Why not be productive with your posts instead of being an ass all the time like you always are. You're have got to be the biggest troll on this forum. 

• Reply 144 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Yield rates for both injection molded plastic vs machined aluminum, please. From Apple's suppliers. Thank you in advance for providing numbers instead of using characterizations like "extremely high" and "near zero."

How would he have these private stats?
  • Reply 145 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    in other news Mansfield has disappeared from Apple's bio pages.
  • Reply 146 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

You have nothing to refute it.  

I guess that makes us both analysts, huh?  

No it makes you someone who makes statements that can't be supported. 

• Reply 147 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I was basing my comments on my own knowledge and experience in manufacturing similar type of devices.

You know full well they do not publish their failures. Apple rarely owns up to anything that makes them look ineffective or at fault. Do you think they will ever tell us why their dev site was breached or how many personal identities were stolen, not likely.

Everything about this topic is pure speculation. If you can't read and understand the intended meaning of a comment without requiring a bibliography you should stop reading AI altogether because it is just a rumor site. Why hold the anonymous poster to some higher standard than the actual publishers?

• Reply 148 of 217
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

No, it categorically ISN'T. Read what I wrote. I did not say MORE people, I said LOTS OF people. Obviously that must be true or Apple wouldn't make them anymore. That may be YOUR experience, but you know better than anyone that your anecdotal observations represent a drip in a bucket compared to the world market. In our plant there isn't a single 13" -- not even one -- but I wouldn't presume to generalize that to assume nobody else buys them either….

Well I don't want to get in a pissing war here, I think they are childish machoism's. IMO you still seem to be trying to push this idea that $2000 is "too much" for a 15" laptop and that "lots of people" want 15" and 17" laptops.  Based on years of experience in the industry I would say both of these statements are wrong.  

I guess that you can argue that when you said "lots of people" you really meant absolute numbers, and therefore you are right because in absolute numbers it has to be thousands of people a year in the USA alone, but in reality it was a statement about relative popularity.  At least that's the way any normal person would read it.  Large screen laptops are not "popular" (the price probably has something to do with it), but the price is lower than it's ever been in history and it's simply misleading to characterise said price as "high" to begin with.  

Also, I just don't understand your problem or position in the first place.  In my experience, the people that like the larger laptops are usually professionals with demanding needs (video people mostly), yet you admit up front that you just want to cruise the web with it and answer email.  

A tablet is a far better solution for those needs.  If it's about vision difficulties, again, the tablet wins because it has infinite zoom capabilities, super sharp text and built in handy shortcuts to let you see the web better.  It's a far better experience cruising the web and doing email on a tablet than it is on a laptop for those and other reasons. 

• Reply 149 of 217
    asdasd wrote: »
    How would he have these private stats?

Beats me. That's his problem. He made statements about comparative yields, I wanted to know if it was based on him knowing something about Apple's manufacturing that the rest of us don't. Nope. I am just now seeing his response to another person admitting he doesn't have access to Apple's parts yields. I also see that he called me a "smart-ass" (in the third person, as he was addressing another forum member).

Well, being called a smart-ass isn't so bad, it's usually damming praise for someone who makes you look dumb. That wasn't my intention however. I gave him a chance: if he had the numbers or cited a source that did (perhaps even leaked it), I'd be glad to say I learned something. Otherwise, I call it like I see it. The PowerMac G4 Cube had problems with the injection molding that people called hairline cracks. And yet he claims (Apple's) plastic injection molding defect rates are near zero... with nothing to back that up. So, yeah, I'll call stuff like that out on the forums. It's nothing personal. I want facts, not hand waving, and not FUD.
  • Reply 150 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In my experience, the people that like the larger laptops are usually professionals with demanding needs (video people mostly), yet you admit up front that you just want to cruise the web with it and answer email.  

A tablet is a far better solution for those needs.  If it's about vision difficulties, again, the tablet wins because it has infinite zoom capabilities, super sharp text and built in handy shortcuts to let you see the web better.  It's a far better experience cruising the web and doing email on a tablet than it is on a laptop for those and other reasons. 

I would disagree with this. I much prefer surfing the web and using email on my 30" Cinema screen with a mouse. I have purchased a few iPads and they are an inferior experience to an actual computer in a number of ways. Their primary benefit is that they are extremely light and portable. They are also more secure but inferior in virtually every other factor in my opinion.

• Reply 151 of 217
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Not only that but old phones sold by Apple compete with their own second hand market. Which reduces sales by Apple.

Yep. That's what killed margins. Apple was canabolizing themselves out of their own margins. It was just nuts.

• Reply 152 of 217

Quote:

And yet he claims (Apple's) plastic injection molding defect rates are near zero... with nothing to back that up. So, yeah, I'll call stuff like that out on the forums. It's nothing personal. I want facts, not hand waving, and not FUD.

That is complete bullshit. Quit trying to twist my comments into something that was not said or intended. I never said that Apple HAS better yields with injection molding only that typically in manufacturing, in general, this is commonly the case. The one and only point I am making is that machining, anodizing, polishing etc is vastly more difficult, more prone to problems and more expensive than injection molding. If you find something in error with that opinion please argue how the inverse is true, citing credible sources, and without being a smart ass.

• Reply 153 of 217

Quote:

Jesus are you serious! One piece of quickly cast plastic vs much costlier, time consuming easily scratched and dented machined aluminum with precision crystalline diamond cut chamfered edges, an added easily scratchable special anodized finish and multiple precision cut and polished glass inserts.... what kind of more obvious info do you need? Yield rates lol wtf?

• Reply 154 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Right now, as an iPhone 5 owner, I want an iPhone 5C MORE than I want a 5S.

Will you go for Powder Blue, Peach Blush or Baby Puke?

• Reply 155 of 217
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I would disagree with this. I much prefer surfing the web and using email on my 30" Cinema screen with a mouse. I have purchased a few iPads and they are an inferior experience to an actual computer in a number of ways. Their primary benefit is that they are extremely light and portable. They are also more secure but inferior in virtually every other factor in my opinion.

I agree, to an extent.

Using an iPad is cool when one in pure, simple consumption mode - i.e. you're just reading one thing. You don't need to look at three different documents or webpages next to each other. You don't need to tweet or share links in any way. Outside of this mode, a full keyboard and a mouse provide more efficiency.

But the tablet is just so easy to not only to move around but also to just open up. For video viewing, email reading (but not necessarily replying), simple web browsing (one page at a time and no sharing), book reading, even playing games, etc., the tablet is just fine. You don't need to be at a table and can go anywhere without packing a bag.

• Reply 156 of 217
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Jesus are you serious! One piece of quickly cast plastic vs much costlier, time consuming easily scratched and dented machined aluminum with precision crystalline diamond cut chamfered edges, an added easily scratchable special anodized finish and multiple precision cut and polished glass inserts.... what kind of more obvious info do you need? Yield rates lol wtf?

I think there is a false impression here that anodized aluminum is more easily scratched than plastic. That is far from reality. It is true, however, that scratches are better hidden on certain plastics.

• Reply 157 of 217
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Will you go for Powder Blue, Peach Blush or Baby Puke?

Sounds horrible, but baby puke means white, for those who think its brown or something, because that's what babies consume, milk, they puke partially digested milk (yum) ... but baby poo is naaasty!

• Reply 158 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I think there is a false impression here that anodized aluminum is more easily scratched than plastic. That is far from reality. It is true, however, that scratches are better hidden on certain plastics.

But that's far from beyond the point. What I am saying is why sell something that takes that amount of effort and cost then eat it selling it as a discount entry level product?  And even after the product is babied and out the door, there is still the possibility that the customer will return it for a minor scratch. WTF was Jony and everyone at Apple thinking when they decided to make this thing?

And no jive, I predicted trouble ahead as soon as I saw the thing last year. It's just obvious. I love the aluminum body, but as someone who works making luxury items, no matter how cool you can make something, you still have to factor in REALITY into the equation.

But I give Cook a lot of credit for coming to his senses and not making it available as an entry level product when the 5S hits the shelves.

Expect Apple stock, margins and profits to skyrocket next year. This is yet another prediction that I will get right.

• Reply 159 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

iPhone 5C stands for Color. It is a big deal to have colored iPhones like this for the first time.

Yes. Truly innovative.

• Reply 160 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I believe the poster was referring to susceptibility of scratching during the manufacturing process when it is being moved around in the assembly line in proximity to sharp instruments as it was in reply in that context.

I have no complaints about the anodized surface when in normal use. I've had my iPhone 5, white, since release day, still scratch free, and I don't use a case of any sort. I did use a case for a couple weeks at first fearing that the surface might scratch easily but I found it uncomfortable and discarded it. I'm happily satisfied with the finish and the materials and in no means am I suggesting that plastic is a better material. Plastic is an acceptable material for a less expensive iPhone but I really like my current metal and glass iPhone.