Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 161 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan uff View Post

I am very surprised that this and other web sites are even giving this story the light of day. Why would Apple call something with a "C" at the end? And, when have you known for the company to use cheap plastic packaging for something as important as an iPhone?

So you think that someone has gone to the trouble of injection moulding and screen printing HUNDREDS of little boxes just to mess with our minds?

• Reply 162 of 217
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

So you think that someone has gone to the trouble of injection moulding and screen printing HUNDREDS of little boxes just to mess with our minds?

lol

• Reply 163 of 217
    eckerguseckergus Posts: 96member
    I see a lot mixed feelings in this discussion. Truthfully, I see Apple hitting a home run with this alleged iPhone 5C. I see this phone as the iPad release all over again. A ton of criticism and mixed feelings at first, but at the end... well, we all know the story. This phone is nothing new, but it allow Apple to reach more demographics and get them hooked to their ecosystem. This iPhone is going to be less costly indeed but not cheap --as in quality. Anyone who truly knows Apple's culture knows this. I know Apple will take over --you just watch.
  • Reply 164 of 217
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Will you go for Powder Blue, Peach Blush or Baby Puke?

All the colors for this plastic iPhone look like different shades of baby puke.

hentaiboy wrote: »

THIS is another reason why the iPhone Color should be aluminum and not plastic.
  • Reply 165 of 217
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

But that's far from beyond the point. 

Far from beyond the point? What does that even mean? I understand far from the point and beyond the point. But ... far from beyond the pt sounds like I am on point! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

But I give Cook a lot of credit for coming to his senses and not making it available as an entry level product when the 5S hits the shelves.

Expect Apple stock, margins and profits to skyrocket next year. This is yet another prediction that I will get right.

Coming to his senses? The so-called iPhone lite hasn't been confirmed. And you're commending him for a change of heart on how to position a product that doesn't officially exist? Has it occurred to you, assuming the 5C is real, it was what they had in mind all along? Coming to his senses, my ass.

"This is yet another prediction that I will get right" - Are you that's far from beyond the point?

• Reply 166 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I believe the poster was referring to susceptibility of scratching during the manufacturing process when it is being moved around in the assembly line in proximity to sharp instruments as it was in reply in that context.

I have no complaints about the anodized surface when in normal use. I've had my iPhone 5, white, since release day, still scratch free, and I don't use a case of any sort. I did use a case for a couple weeks at first fearing that the surface might scratch easily but I found it uncomfortable and discarded it. I'm happily satisfied with the finish and the materials and in no means am I suggesting that plastic is a better material. Plastic is an acceptable material for a less expensive iPhone but I really like my current metal and glass iPhone. 

Why would anodized aluminum be more susceptible to scratches in an assembly line than plastic?

• Reply 167 of 217
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And you know this how? Do you work at Apple?

Btw, the black HTC One scuffs too, so I suppose they don't use high grade materials either?

In Apple's own words they are using low grade 6000 series aluminum alloy, when they should have used forged 7075 T6 with a hard coat anodize and Teflon coated.

Had they done that the iPhone 5 would be far more wear and marring resistant and overall a more durable device.

Generally I think the iPhone 5 is just a pain in the ass design that requires way too much exact precision to get right.
  • Reply 168 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Why would anodized aluminum be more susceptible to scratches in an assembly line than plastic?

Because the multi-step process required for the machined aluminum parts is more complicated with the proximity to shape instruments in the subsequent steps verses the one step process of injection molding.

• Reply 169 of 217

Quote:

Jesus what's with some of you people. Let's just say that if anything happened to a plastic one, people are going to give a lot less fucks than a milled aluminum one with a crystal polished chamfered edge, a anodized coating and precision cut polished glass inserts.. some of you people are hard headed nuts. WTF is wrong with you? Jesus lol

• Reply 170 of 217

Quote:

Because the multi-step process required for the machined aluminum parts is more complicated with the proximity to shape instruments in the subsequent steps verses the one step process of injection molding.

lol, Exactly! Why is this so hard for people to understand?

• Reply 171 of 217

Quote:

Jesus what's with some of you people. Let's just say that if anything happened to a plastic one, people are going to give a lot less fucks than a milled aluminum one with a crystal polished chamfered edge, a anodized coating and precision cut polished glass insert.. **** you people are hard headed nuts. WTF is wrong with you? Jesus lol

The question is what's wrong with you, trying to pretend you're knowledgeable in areas foreign to you?

• Reply 172 of 217

Quote:

The question is what's wrong with you, trying to pretend you're knowledgeable in areas foreign to you?

Quote:

Jesus what's with some of you people. Let's just say that if anything happened to a plastic one, people are going to give a lot less fucks than a milled aluminum one with a crystal polished chamfered edge, a anodized coating and precision cut polished glass inserts.. some of you people are hard headed nuts. WTF is wrong with you? Jesus lol

LOL, are you kidding me? I'm talking about things that are only obvious.

• Reply 173 of 217

Quote:

Not in a properly run assembly shop. 

If (big if) there are hundreds of thousands of phones being returned because of scratches, it was mishandling by Foxconn. They'd have been scratched (perhaps fewer in numbers) even if the back was plastic.

Watches, cars are as intricate if not more so than iPhone 5. They don't often come with scratches. Hell, food processing plants are more intricate than smartphones. 

Plastic, aluminum or paper - a well designed and well run assembly line would not allow the scratching that has been alleged.

• Reply 174 of 217

Quote:

LOL Are you kidding me? I'm only talking about things that are only obvious.

• Reply 175 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

In Apple's own words they are using low grade 6000 series aluminum alloy, when they should have used forged 7075 T6 with a hard coat anodize and Teflon coated.

Had they done that the iPhone 5 would be far more wear and marring resistant and overall a more durable device.

Generally I think the iPhone 5 is just a pain in the ass design that requires way too much exact precision to get right.

It may be a pain to manufacture. But you're mixed up about the aluminum.

True, aircraft or 7075 aluminum is tougher. But you can hard-anodize 6061 aluminum just as easily. And 6061 aluminum comes in T6 variety too. So your comparison just wasn't fair or valid.

You do raise a good point about hard anodizing. The iPhone 5 back does not appear to be hard-anodized. In such situations, this is undesirable because it messes up tolerances. But the anodized surface is not part of any high tolerance mating surface (insofar as I can tell). So I am guessing, if indeed it isn't hard anodized, it is because of color or color consistency.

• Reply 176 of 217

Quote:

LOL Are you kidding me? I'm only talking about things that are only obvious.

What you notice to be obvious.

As I explained to MStone above, a properly run assembly line can handle any material with a very low rate of scratches. This is not an aluminum v. plastic issue. 

It is true plastic would be easier and cheaper for the manufacturing process. Scratches simply should not an issue.

But I understand what you saying - the real facts are not obvious to you.

• Reply 177 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Not in a properly run assembly shop. 

Good point however it does not explain events such as aluminum dust in the polishing station to explode as happened at Foxconn

With the current design there are literally dozens of mishaps in the wings. Even a slightly misaligned foil stamping in the last stage creates a throwaway. In the leaked designs they have selected black screen print which if accidental misaligned can be recovered with a little solvent and reapply the ink.

• Reply 178 of 217
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    C for Counterfeit. Why would Apple use a plastic box when other products are packaged in more environmentally benign paper packaging (except when the jewel box is a carrying case)?

And the messy pile of boxes look more like a small time manufacturer.

I'll be surprised if this is accurate.
  • Reply 179 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    True, however in that previous instance there were several things wrong with that photo. Producing that single fake press sheet could have been done for less than $100 where as these molded cases would require somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 for making the die, Of course they could have been printed on a 3D printer for considerably less so yeah they could be fake, sure. They also could be a mold for some completely unrelated product that someone just screen printed with iPhone 5C for a joke.

They look pretty real to me.
    Sometimes the easy explanation is the best. Your last explanation fits the bill.
  • Reply 180 of 217

Quote:

Good point however it does not explain events such as aluminum dust in the polishing station to explode as happened at Foxconn

That happened in mid 2011, likely during manufacturing of iPads rather than iP5? Regardless, it has nothing to do with design complexity.