Rumor: Photo may show retail packaging for Apple's low-cost "iPhone 5C"

Comments

• Reply 181 of 217
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

True, however in that previous instance there were several things wrong with that photo. Producing that single fake press sheet could have been done for less than $100 where as these molded cases would require somewhere in the neighborhood of $100,000 for making the die, Of course they could have been printed on a 3D printer for considerably less so yeah they could be fake, sure. They also could be a mold for some completely unrelated product that someone just screen printed with iPhone 5C for a joke.

They look pretty real to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Sometimes the easy explanation is the best. Your last explanation fits the bill.

Likely. Lest we forget, however, that there many been case manufacturers who committed to injection molding new iPhone cases based on speculated dimensions, only to have to throw them all out.

• Reply 182 of 217
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Not in a properly run assembly shop. 

If (big if) there are hundreds of thousands of phones being returned because of scratches, it was mishandling by Foxconn. They'd have been scratched (perhaps fewer in numbers) even if the back was plastic.

Watches, cars are as intricate if not more so than iPhone 5. They don't often come with scratches. Hell, food processing plants are more intricate than smartphones. 

Plastic, aluminum or paper - a well designed and well run assembly line would not allow the scratching that has been alleged.

Oh brother. That's nonsense.

I'll be honest with you, one of my first jobs was at a high end luxury products company, nothing to do with electronics. Anyone can come up with really far out stuff, such as that The Simpson's episode where Homer is allowed to design a car. You have to consider how they are made, what difficulties are involved and what liabilities may lie ahead. Then after all of that is figured out, have to calculate exactly what the final price the customer will have to pay. And even as luxury items go, some things just don't make financial sense.

I designed a lot of cool stuff that I had to track prototypes from design to manufacturing that never made it to retail once the numbers were crunched. So no, this is not foreign to me at all.

• Reply 183 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Oh brother. That's nonsense.

I'll be honest with you, one of my first jobs was at a high end luxury products company, nothing to do with electronics. Anyone can come up with really far out stuff, such as that The Simpson's episode where Homer is allowed to design a car. You have to consider how they are made, what difficulties are involved and what liabilities may lie ahead. Then after all of that is figured out, have to calculate exactly what the final price the customer will have to pay. And even as luxury items go, some things just don't make financial sense.

I designed a lot of cool stuff that I had to track from design to manufacturing that never made it once the numbers were crunched. So no, this is not foriegn to me at all.

Oh brother, bringing up personal history (imagined or otherwise) and generalizing. Two clear signs of logical failure. Just a reminder - we were talking about whether using aluminum would lead to more scratches in a well-run assembly shop. 

Never mind, I'm done cleaning the floor with you.

• Reply 184 of 217

Quote:

Oh brother, bringing up personal history (imagined or otherwise) and generalizing. Two clear signs of logical failure. Just a reminder - we were talking about whether using aluminum would lead to more scratches in a well-run assembly shop. 

Never mind, I'm done cleaning the floor with you.

Since cleaning the floor is probably your day job, focus on that first. lol

• Reply 185 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    Because the multi-step process required for the machined aluminum parts is more complicated with the proximity to shape instruments in the subsequent steps verses the one step process of injection molding.
    Serious question, as I have no experience in this area, but is injection molding a one-step process? Is there any trimming of excess plastic and polishing after the piece is removed from the mold?
  • Reply 186 of 217
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Good point however it does not explain events such as aluminum dust in the polishing station to explode as happened at Foxconn

That happened in mid 2011, likely during manufacturing of iPads rather than iP5? Regardless, it has nothing to do with design complexity.

No it has to do with a properly run shop as per your argument. Same manufacturer same designer. The specific product is not at issue.

• Reply 187 of 217

Quote:

Serious question, as I have no experience in this area, but is injection molding a one-step process? Is there any trimming of excess plastic and polishing after the piece is removed from the mold?

Yes. But the machine is spitting them out quickly and in Apple's case probably by the thousands. Cleaning and trimming is pretty fast too. And tools to do that are far cheaper and far faster than ones to trim and polish aluminum and glass. And remember we are talking one piece vs multiple with raw materials that are far more expensive too.

• Reply 188 of 217

Quote:

Quote:

Because the multi-step process required for the machined aluminum parts is more complicated with the proximity to shape instruments in the subsequent steps verses the one step process of injection molding.

Almost none. I have observed injection molding operations for our own products where there is not even anyone observing the machine, The pieces just drop into a bin and are carted off when full but no direct involvement is required in the process unlike our CNC operations where a dedicated operator is observing every step of the operation.

Sometimes if you are molding several units in a single injection you do need to cut and separate them from the tree which involves trimming by hand but that would not likely be the case with cell phone cases. They would most likely be single molds.

• Reply 189 of 217

Quote:

No it has to do with a properly run shop as per your argument. Same manufacturer same designer. The specific product is not at issue.

Indeed. That was my point - using aluminum makes the process more complicated but there should not be more scratches as a result if the shop was well run. To be fair, the manufacturing volume probably overwhelmed Foxconn.

Assuming 5S + 5C >> 5 + 4S + 4, can Foxconn plus a secondary assembly shop keep up? If so, with Samsung also still selling Galaxy S phones like hotcakes, how much manufacturing capacity is left for others? This is perhaps one of the challenges facing any company that wants to catch Apple and Samsung. It is not just about design. Logistics will be an issue, too.

• Reply 190 of 217
    After looking at the pictures of the alleged packaging, I noticed that to display the printing right-side-up, the open end of the shell would have to be the top of the package. Other people here have theorized how the plastic shells would be used with the opposite orientation. Used to display the printing correctly the iPhone would have to rest inside the shell, with some sort of cover (possibly clear).
  • Reply 191 of 217
    mstone wrote: »
    Almost none. I have observed injection molding operations for our own products where there is not even anyone observing the machine, The pieces just drop into a bin and are carted off when full but no direct involvement is required in the process unlike our CNC operations where a dedicated operator is observing every step of the operation.
    Thanks, didn't know.
  • Reply 192 of 217

Quote:

Sometimes if you are molding several units in a single injection you do need to cut and separate them from the tree which involves trimming by hand but that would not likely be the case with cell phone cases. They would most likely be single molds.

Almost none? Wouldn't that be true only for cases where either aesthetics does not matter or the design includes an automatically trimmed gate.

• Reply 193 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Yes. Truly innovative.

Thanks for the pathetic attempt at trolling. Works better if you read the post to which you're replying.
  • Reply 194 of 217

Maybe this isn't the packaging. Maybe this is the widely rumored plastic back of the new iPhone. C stands for camera - the extra thickness accommodates some high-falluting optics that will make the Lumia 1020 look amateurish.

• Reply 195 of 217

Regardless, I think the 5C will make stockholders very happy. When all is said and done the C will ultimately stand for cash.

• Reply 196 of 217

Quote:

Almost none? Wouldn't that be true only for cases where either aesthetics does not matter or the design includes an automatically trimmed gate.

The less complex the mold, the looser tolerance to specifications, the less refinement by hand is required. 

Just as an example I have a friend who works on CNC for aerospace and they are so dedicated to precision that they take a titanium part and machine it for a few minutes then put it back in storage for a day to keep it from overheating. Then take it out the next day and machine it for a few more minutes over and over/. It is a matter of degrees

• Reply 197 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by murman View Post

Sounds horrible, but baby puke means white, for those who think its brown or something, because that's what babies consume, milk, they puke partially digested milk (yum) ... but baby poo is naaasty!

They also eat...baby food...

Anyhoo I was just looking for a fun description of the caramel colour in the photos image

• Reply 198 of 217
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Likely. Lest we forget, however, that there many been case manufacturers who committed to injection molding new iPhone cases based on speculated dimensions, only to have to throw them all out.

Who exactly is going to make 3rd party RETAIL PACKAGING?

• Reply 199 of 217
    C stands for China?
  • Reply 200 of 217
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by axda0911 View Post

C stands for China?

That makes sense actually. But it means Apple has just spent time and resources making a special version of the iPhone for a country whose economy is looking like it's in trouble.