Samsung Electronics has not dethroned Apple, Inc. in mobile profits

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    flaneur wrote: »
    @relic—I have to agree that the 4/4S design is too vulnerable and i'm knocking on wood while I say that I amazingly haven't broken mine yet, as many times as it has fallen out of a shirt pocket when I check a tire or whatever. Always in a case, lately in a silicone bumper which leaves both sides of glass exposed, but still no break over two years.

Don't know about the 5, as I have no friends with one, but it must be half as vulnerable, right? The plastic backed C phone, if it happens, may be designed to address this probem. I certainly hope so. The plastic should extend over the edges of the glass in the front.

A wine barrel is a great idea for a dog house by the way. Is it common in Europe?

Edit: Unfortunately, I see that our hypercritical gadfly has taken the opportunity to score a point for his team on this breakage issue. I regret opening the barn door. He gets to make his 2 cents off the floor.

I normally don't like pointing out faults in Apple hardware on this forum as it's very counter productive, you open yourself up to a magnitude of criticism. This issue though doesn't seem to be discussed very often, like a bad nose job that everyone sees but no one says anything. I'm sure the majority of people here take very good care of their devises to avoid such mishaps. I did also notice that the majority of the cracked iPhone users seem to be 25 and under. I always recommend a Nokia phone to Parents and people with a very active life, say what you will about the OS but the build quality is undeniably fantastic, those things can be shot out of cannon and you'll still be able to make a phone call.

The barrel came with the house, though it was used as a rain collector originally, which would then in return be used in the garden through a copper pump that was attached on top. My husband just borrowed a neighbors portable jigsaw and went to town on creating a bigger opening. The dogs name is Nanook after the 1922 Robert J Flaherty documentary, Nanook Of The North. Story about huskies pulling sleds across the icy cold tundra. I rescued her as a puppy in Finland where she was found sleeping in the bathtub in the hotel we were staying at. The hotel staff had no idea how the little thing got in there or if it was left behind intentionally. All I know is once the kids found her there was no giving her up. She's been a great dog, very lovable, I personally use her a lot as a pillow while I'm watching TV or reading a book, that is until she passes gas because I'm laying on her stomach, stinky.
  • Reply 102 of 140
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caligula66 View Post

The American media loves Samsung and hates Apple, fact.

In addition, Samsung has more real technological advances, or firsts, or interesting designs to talk about than Apple does.  In terms of interest per action, Apple IS FAR ahead of Samsung, or most other companies.

Apple tends to go with technology that is tried and true as opposed to going into newer technologies.  They often get things done better than others, but they don't do it first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Really? Then why is it that the 'American media' is at every Apple product launch and never at a Samsung one?

Depends, are you talking the media, or the tech media.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Just shut up.

Why?  Apple does get lots of hype for doing stuff that everyone else did.  When has there ever been talk of 4" screens being so good, etc, etc, etc.  Never before the iPhone 5.  The Media focuses on Apple because they are a popular brand that makes solid (from software standpoint) products.

You seem to like to take a stance that anything that possibly doesn't agree with your perspective is worthless, or untrue.  It is not.

-Q

• Reply 103 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    qamf wrote: »
    Why?

Please. We get enough trolling as it is.
  • Reply 104 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

You seem to like to take a stance that anything that possibly doesn't agree with your perspective is worthless, or untrue.  It is not.

-Q

Actually, he only tells certain deserving people to shut up. Stick around and watch for awhile. You may see a pattern, depending on your own discernment. You sound like you've been around long enough to know this already.
  • Reply 105 of 140
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please. We get enough trolling as it is.

says the one-line troll king himself

• Reply 106 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    relic wrote: »
    I normally don't like pointing out faults in Apple hardware on this forum as it's very counter productive, you open yourself up to a magnitude of criticism. This issue though doesn't seem to be discussed very often, like a bad nose job that everyone sees but no one says anything. I'm sure the majority of people here take very good care of their devises to avoid such mishaps. I did also notice that the majority of the cracked iPhone users seem to be 25 and under. I always recommend a Nokia phone to Parents and people with a very active life, say what you will about the OS but the build quality is undeniably fantastic, those things can be shot out of cannon and you'll still be able to make a phone call.

The barrel came with the house, though it was used as a rain collector originally, which would then in return be used in the garden through a copper pump that was attached on top. My husband just borrowed a neighbors portable jigsaw and went to town on creating a bigger opening. The dogs name is Nanook after the 1922 Robert J Flaherty documentary, Nanook Of The North. Story about huskies pulling sleds across the icy cold tundra. I rescued her as a puppy in Finland where she was found sleeping in the bathtub in the hotel we were staying at. The hotel staff had no idea how the little thing got in there or if it was left behind intentionally. All I know is once the kids found her there was no giving her up. She's been a great dog, very lovable, I personally use her a lot as a pillow while I'm watching TV or reading a book, that is until she passes gas because I'm laying on her stomach, stinky.

Congrats to your husband. I think it's brilliant.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bleh1234 wrote: »
    says the one-line troll king himself

I like how deep the irony goes, in that you're just one of them using the same type of trolling to respond here…
  • Reply 108 of 140
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member

AppleInsider and DED.   Fantastic article.  To the point, factual and fully supported with facts.   

Apple is still DOOMED,  DOOMED I say.  We all know this.   Wall Street is sure that the Titanic will soon arrive and that Apple is Doomed.  And that Amazon will make everyone millions cause ..... well....... just cause.  If they don't go broke first. 

At this rate, AppleInsider and DED will be the only ones on the internet providing accurate information about Apple and the tech world. 

Just a thought. 

Norm

• Reply 109 of 140
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    I normally don't like pointing out faults in Apple hardware on this forum as it's very counter productive, you open yourself up to a magnitude of criticism. This issue though doesn't seem to be discussed very often, like a bad nose job that everyone sees but no one says anything. I'm sure the majority of people here take very good care of their devises to avoid such mishaps. I did also notice that the majority of the cracked iPhone users seem to be 25 and under..

You're being very kind here: I was about to post something similar, just the way I'd put it:

"I did also notice that the majority of the cracked iPhone users seem to be notorious drunks."

Typically girls and guys who go out clubbing, and then at 2 in the morning have some drama because their friends dumped them, or they want to text their <whoever> and the pull out the phone fumble and it goes sliding down the street. In other words, of all the "party people" I know, probably 25% have a cracked screen, and about 0% of all the rest of the people I know (and they are by no means couch potatoes).

I've had an iPhone since the day the first one came out, and I dropped it more often than I can count, and except for a few minor scratches all are still fine, and not a single screen was damaged. Maybe the iPhone 5 is different, because Aluminum is softer than stainless steel, so a drop could deform the frame permanently more easily, and then leave the screen under tension, such that subsequent drops make the glass crack more easily.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    caligula66 wrote: »
    The American media loves Samsung and hates Apple, fact.

The media loves money, and everything about Apple attracts views, clicks and thus money. Also, the good news get boring. Who wants to hear about another puppy being cute? But a cute puppy being intentionally trampled to death, THAT's news.
    So bad news about a popular brand is just more sensational than the message "Apple is still the best out there...Yawn..."

In addition, there's the entire stock market trader bunch, which act not as investors, but gamblers. They all benefit when a stock makes wide swings, and particularly if they have a good chance of predicting these swings by influencing reporting by tapping into the above trend and delivering flawed commentary and analysis be that out of ignorance or malice, directly or indirectly by paying publicists. And Google & Co. certainly won't object to that game, either. Not the first time something like this happens, one just needs to remember all the scandals involving analysts, journalists and traders when the various other tech bubbles burst. But as usual, nobody gets indicted, because the regulators are all the same crooks, working for the same companies before and after their little excursion into government work.
    In addition, Samsung has more real technological advances, or firsts, or interesting designs to talk about than Apple does.  In terms of interest per action, Apple IS FAR ahead of Samsung, or most other companies.

Apple tends to go with technology that is tried and true as opposed to going into newer technologies.  They often get things done better than others, but they don't do it first.

Don't confuse trinkets and novelty gadgetry with technological advances. "First to have a glowing home button", "First to have a phone that can sneeze", ... doesn't make for innovation, it's marketing gadgetry. Apple, reasonably successfully, tries to introduce new things that have lasting value for the platform and are there to stay, they do (used to do?) usability testing, etc.
    Plenty of firsts in Apple products, but firsts that are not for show, but for improved usability.
    If Apple weren't leading innovation, there wouldn't be the current patent mess, because Apple would steal from other companies, rather than the other way around.

NB: things like super-high mega-pixel cameras are in many ways a joke, because one can calculate the upper optical resolution for a lens of a certain diameter, a firm limit straight from the laws of Physics. And given the small lenses of typical smart phone cameras, the types of resolutions we're seeing mostly helps the memory manufacturers, not the actual image quality...
    ...similar things go for higher-than-retina resolution screens, which just eat battery life...
    ...or quad core chips that are total overkill for what a smart phone needs to do (heck my MBA runs just fine on a dual-core...)
    ...etc. etc.
  • Reply 111 of 140
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I thought it was just me, but I see cracked iPhones all the time as of late. I always tell them that it's like a $80 fix.

As compared to a $300 fix for Samsung Galaxy S III, 4 or Note screens.

My 3 year old iPhone 4 has never been cracked, although my wife often drops it, it's holding up a lot better than the LG Optimus she had before.

My iPhone 5 is coming up to a year, has been dropped and no cracked screen.
  • Reply 112 of 140

Thanks for the interesting read.

• Reply 113 of 140
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    hill60 wrote: »
    As compared to a $300 fix for Samsung Galaxy S III, 4 or Note screens.

My 3 year old iPhone 4 has never been cracked, although my wife often drops it, it's holding up a lot better than the LG Optimus she had before.

My iPhone 5 is coming up to a year, has been dropped and no cracked screen.

Well consider yourself lucky then, great news.
  • Reply 114 of 140
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    But these Samsung phones break easily, causing an increase in their numbers ¡

You can say a lot about Samsung but their phones don't break easily.

They certainly don't... If anything, the most accident prone phones I have found based on my experience walking around is iPhone and iPod Touch break the most.  Well, the glass cracks.

I have had an iPhone 4 for about 3 years, and no problems.... It makes me wonder how people break them.... *sighs*

Sorry guys, just my attempt at humor. Notice the sarc tag, too.

And you're right, Relic, scattered glass on iPhones all over the place. I guess that's also a reason people hand them over to kids as an iPod touch.
  • Reply 115 of 140
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well consider yourself lucky then, great news.

Of course such expenses pale into insignificance when compared to the cost of servicing one of my Swiss watches, which cost way more than almost anything Apple sells...

...but what the hey, I like nice things.
  • Reply 116 of 140
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Depends, are you talking the media, or the tech media.

What does the general public see more of? And most the tech media uses iDevices.
  • Reply 117 of 140
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Still not quite sure why it's Apple's fault that you haven't learned to buy low and sell high.

The stock market isn't the place to put you money if you don't know what you're doing.

The stock market isn't the place to put your money if you know what you're doing. ;)

• Reply 118 of 140
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

I guess you didn't read the article. Samsung does not release any unit sales data. Apple does. Anything you read about Samsung is pure guesswork and BS. Apple's numbers are audited.

Which Apple numbers are audited?

• Reply 119 of 140

Another amazing article. Thanks.

• Reply 120 of 140

Recently Apple in WWDC made the following comment “If everyone is busy making everything, how can anyone perfect anything?”

This is obviously directed at Samsung more than any other company.

Samsung uses the shotgun approach to product development. They “squirt” every conceivable combination and variation of a product that can be imagined… And some people have been wrongly calling this “innovation”.

The problem with wasting resources designing, developing, producing, and marketing, as many product variations as quickly as possible is that no single product gets the attention to detail and quality that it should receive.

This is the problem with Samsung’s smartphones and tablets. The quality level is sub-par compared to its competitors’ products.

Samsung can be compared to General Motors in the 1950 and 60s. Many models of cars were produced each year, and each year the design changed giving consumers the false impression that this year’s model was better than last year’s.

Apple can be compared to BMW, whose cars don’t change design radically or quickly, but the quality and attention to detail is unsurpassed (primarily because the company’s resources are focused on those areas rather than on making design changes as quickly as possible.

General Motors was highly successful with its “totally new car every year” strategy, but that success crumbled eventually when consumers started buying other cars that were higher quality and more efficient than the cars GM sold.

If you ever wonder why the iPhone has consistently had higher quality and customer satisfaction ratings than any other phone, and why iPhone owners are much more likely to buy another iPhone in the future than users of other phones would repeat their purchase choices, it’s because Apple’s product development and production has a very different focus than those of competitors.

Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and others were manufacturing feature phones for more than 15 years. Most of these manufacturers had relationships with all the 800 + mobile operators in the world. Samsung was making in house components as well. The average cost of the Feature Phone used to be close to $75 only. Total revenue of these feature Phones would be around $90 Billion in 2006 (http://www.cellular-news.com/story/21622.php). As per this report the following companies sold all the mobile phones in the world. market share and shipments is as follows:

Nokia               347,500,000         34.1%

Motorola          217,400,000           21.3%

Samsung          118,000.000              11.6%

Sony Ericsson  74,800,000            7.3%

LG                   64,400,000          6.3%

Others            197,800,000           19.4%

Total             1,019,900,000          100%

Total 1.2 billion Non Smartphones were sold in 2006 and their average price at $75 and total value around $90 Billion dollars.

Presently Apple's revenue for smartphones is Approx. around $90 Billion Dollars(total rev. 170 B for TTM , 52% of revenue) and net Profit is approx. $25 Billion TTM because average selling price of iPhone is around $600 for the last 12 months, even though it is $581 for the last quarter. Average Cost of making a iPhone is around $210 as per research reports. We were told in the conference call that the components price is going down for the older iPhones. Conservatively speaking even if Gross profit is around 50% on smartphones, the net Profit margin is at least 28% on smartphones only.

48% of the total revenue from Apple's Non Smartphone device like iPad, Macs, iTunes, Software Services & Accessories and their total revenue is around $80 Billion. 

The Gross Profit on these devices may be close to 25% and Net margin is around 16.25% for Non Smartphones(80B x 0.1625=13Billion). 

The net profit is approx. $13 Billion for Non Smartphone Devices(total profit=38B=25B IPhones+13 B Non iPhones). 

You will notice the growth rate of iTunes is averaging 30% and iPads around 30% for the last 12 months, even though last quarter iPad had no growth YOY(nine months since it is refreshed). 

Finally the average Net Profit Margin of Apple for last 12 months is 22.35% which is much better than Samsung & Google.

I have used Yahoo Finance to get some of my numbers. If you just refer Yahoo finance for Samsung, the net profit for the last 12 months is around 20 Billion & Net profit for Apple is around 38 Billion.

The estimated Net Profit for Apple Smartphones for the last 12 months is 25 Billion Dollars. 

Strategic Analytics mentioned 5.2 Billion Dollar in Operating Profits which includes Smartphones, featured Phones, Tablet, PC, Laptops and other items.

Even if you assume Samsung's Smartphone Profit is 60% of all its profits, then their net smartphone profit is around 12 billion dollars for the last 12 months. 

If you assume Apple & Samsung make 100% of all profits in smartphones then Apple makes 67% & Samsung makes 33% of all smartphone profits. 

Most of the media does try to mislead the investors by piling up negative stories which may not be relevant to the profitability of the company.