15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 217
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by axda0911 View Post

C stands for China?

Wouldn't China require "PRC" instead ?  

Although either suffix is very English oriented.

Now, maybe if the boxes had "iPhone 5" +

• Reply 202 of 217
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    axda0911 wrote: »
    C stands for China?

Unlikely. That's a lot of time and money, with no assurances, for a single market.

That could turn into a billion dollar write off real fast. Too much risk, not enough reward.

It's pretty clear, based upon the currently available information, especially packaging design, that iPhone 5C is iPhone color.

4S is dead. 30 Pin is dead. 3.5" screen is dead. iPhone 5C is going to huge this holiday season. Probably bigger than the 5S, which is mysteriously quiet considering we are so close to 1 year release anniversary.
  • Reply 203 of 217
    twoseetwosee Posts: 58member

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Have they ever packaged using plastic?

My Magic Mouse came in a plastic package. But this does NOT look like an Apple product. I really hope it isn't. not sure they need a "low cost" iPhone, they already have one; It's the $99 iPhone 4. I hope they leave the low cost crap to the competitors.

• Reply 204 of 217

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

4S is dead. 30 Pin is dead. 3.5" screen is dead. iPhone 5C is going to huge this holiday season. Probably bigger than the 5S, which is mysteriously quiet considering we are so close to 1 year release anniversary.

There's the nub:  30-pin is dead, long live Lightning!  THIS is the new $99/free phone, no more 4s of any kind.

No iPhone 5SRV, either.  iPhone 6, now w/ LiquidMetal and the NEXT next-gen chipset, at the usual price-points (but maybe the base will move to 32/64/128gb, w/ 16gb in the 5c).

• Reply 205 of 217
    twosee wrote: »
    My Magic Mouse came in a plastic package. But this does NOT look like an Apple product. I really hope it isn't. not sure they need a "low cost" iPhone, they already have one; It's the $99 iPhone 4. I hope they leave the low cost crap to the competitors.

Just so we are on on the same page, your solution this fall is a 3 year old phone that will run iOS 7 horribly most likely, with no air drop, no Siri, no LTE, no HSPA+, limited carrier support and who knows what else...

And this is preferable to an iPhone 5C because...
  • Reply 206 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    technarchy wrote: »
    And this is preferable to an iPhone 5C because…

People will actually buy it instead of being forced to pay $400 up front for the phone.
  • Reply 207 of 217
    I like the name. It reminds me of the Apple IIc.
  • Reply 208 of 217
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Well I don't want to get in a pissing war here, I think they are childish machoism's. IMO you still seem to be trying to push this idea that $2000 is "too much" for a 15" laptop and that "lots of people" want 15" and 17" laptops.  Based on years of experience in the industry I would say both of these statements are wrong.  

I guess that you can argue that when you said "lots of people" you really meant absolute numbers, and therefore you are right because in absolute numbers it has to be thousands of people a year in the USA alone, but in reality it was a statement about relative popularity.  At least that's the way any normal person would read it.  Large screen laptops are not "popular" (the price probably has something to do with it), but the price is lower than it's ever been in history and it's simply misleading to characterise said price as "high" to begin with.  

Also, I just don't understand your problem or position in the first place.  In my experience, the people that like the larger laptops are usually professionals with demanding needs (video people mostly), yet you admit up front that you just want to cruise the web with it and answer email.  

A tablet is a far better solution for those needs.  If it's about vision difficulties, again, the tablet wins because it has infinite zoom capabilities, super sharp text and built in handy shortcuts to let you see the web better.  It's a far better experience cruising the web and doing email on a tablet than it is on a laptop for those and other reasons. 

To be clear, my comments regarding size and price have nothing to do with MY wants. *I* want a giant machine with a V8 and an enormous display. For me, cost is a consideration but it's further down the list than performance and usability. I know I'm not a typical buyer.

The whole issue of relative numbers sold between 13 and 15 is really a side issue anyway. My real point is that I think the "entry point" for a 15" is too high compared to the 13".

Apple offers "affordable" ways to get into a 13" machine, but not 15". The least expensive 15" costs about half-again as much as a 13". I think the price of 15" Apples drives buyers to other alternatives. I have been unable to convince friends and family to buy MacBooks because they all want larger displays (which is perhaps why I thought there must be demand elsewhere, too) and Apple has only expensive machines in 15" and no 17" at all. It's hard to persuade my aunt and cousin and neighbor to spend more than DOUBLE what their current machine cost. It would be a lot easier to get them on board if Apple made a more basic 15" machine, the way they do with the 13".

• Reply 209 of 217
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    technarchy wrote: »
    There's the nub:  30-pin is dead, long live Lightning!  THIS is the new $99/free phone, no more 4s of any kind.

No iPhone 5SRV, either.  iPhone 6, now w/ LiquidMetal and the NEXT next-gen chipset, at the usual price-points (but maybe the base will move to 32/64/128gb, w/ 16gb in the 5c).

iPod Classic has the 30-pin connector.
  • Reply 210 of 217
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

People will actually buy it instead of being forced to pay $400 up front for the phone.

You are odd. People pay about $400 for the 4 if they buy it off contract right now - its 349 euros on Vodafone Ireland. Thats clearly nuts, for a two year old phone.

On most contracts it is free, however. Same will be true of the iPhone C. And instead of a 2 year old phone, it will have the internals of the 5.

• Reply 211 of 217
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="asdasd" url="/t/158744/rumor-photo-may-show-retail-packaging-for-apples-low-cost-iphone-5c/200#post_2369847"]People pay about $400 for the 4 if they buy it off contract right now[/QUOTE]

Thing is, "people don't". That's the argument for the cheap iPhone. They should be able to buy it outright for less than whatever $. Except Apple isn't going to make it $199, like idiots think.
  • Reply 212 of 217
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thing is, "people don't". That's the argument for the cheap iPhone. They should be able to buy it outright for less than whatever $. Except Apple isn't going to make it $199, like idiots think.

I actually know three people that bought the 4 outright, after the 4S was released but before the 5.

I appreciate that three is a fairly small sample upon which to gauge a trend, but I'm confident that it means everyone everywhere will buy a 5C.

Right? image

• Reply 213 of 217
    luffy54luffy54 Posts: 1member
    may be there will be no iphone 5s and the iphone 5C will be the nex flagship of Apple
  • Reply 214 of 217
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    allenbf wrote: »
    red oak wrote: »
    One interesting point is that the lettering of the iPod touch cases is the color of the device. Above, they are all Black. Just FYI

I guess these would be for the black iPhone 5(c) then?

I just hate to see all the waste, would rather see biodegradable packaging. I'm sort of an environmental geek. But I'd forgotten about the iPod packaging earlier

Depending on the type of plastic, it's fully recyclable, could even be biodegradable if it's one of these corn starch derived polymers.
    Also, the weight savings may save more petrochemicals in terms of jet fuel, than using relatively heavy cardboard.
    So between weight savings and using a recyclable plastic, this may end up being the most ecological packaging.
    It's not about what looks Eco, but about crunching the real numbers for ecological impact once you're not a mom&pop shop and ship things by the millions in cargo planes.

As for the "c": consumer, color, compact,...

Don't understand why everyone craps their pants about the plastic thing: the 3 and 3GS were plastic, too, and nobody called them crap.
  • Reply 215 of 217
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Don't understand why everyone craps their pants about the plastic thing: the 3 and 3GS were plastic, too, and nobody called them crap.

I think some people need to divorce their own ego from their cell phone. A plastic iPhone is not reflection on you as a person, and it certainly is no reflection on Apple, which as you pointed out, did sell the plastic backed 3G and 3GS.

• Reply 216 of 217
    Just ridiculous I like the aluminum not the plastic so if I dropped it the phone has a better chance of not breaking and astir is cheap