Labor report reveals low-cost plastic iPhone in initial production at Pegatron

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new plastic iPhone is currently being tested Apple supplier Pegatron, and will soon go into mass production and hit the market, one factory worker claims.

Render

Details of Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone were revealed in a report published by China Labor Watch on Monday. A section of the report details "A day in Pegatron," with a worker detailing their activities on July 9.

On that day, the worker's job was "to paste protective film on the iPhone's plastic back cover to prevent it from being scratched on assembly lines." The worker revealed that the plastic iPhone will "soon be released on the market by Apple."

"The new cell phone has not yet been put into mass production, so quantity is not as important," the worker wrote. "This makes our job more slow paced than in departments that have begun mass production schedules."

In addition, China Labor Watch's company profile notes that Pegatron is responsible for building "low-priced plastic iPhones" for Apple, in addition to the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5.

The report accuses Pegatron of violating labor regulations in China, as well as international labor laws and Apple's own standards. Specifically, Pegatron is said to have workweeks that exceed Apple's 60-hour limit, while some employees have allegedly had their pay withheld for working short shifts.

The details also come as an image published over the weekend claimed to show the retail packaging for a product called the "iPhone 5C." Some have speculated that the "C," if the name is accurate, could refer to "color," as the device is expected to come in a range of colors.

Well-connected insider Ming-Chi Kuo revealed last week that Apple is on track to launch its so-called "iPhone Lite" in early September. The device is expected to be essentially a slightly thicker iPhone 5 with a plastic body.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    jb2017jb2017 Posts: 9member
    July 29th Entry:

Former Pegatron employee jumps off roof-top after releasing unreleased Apple product information.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Whenever someone without an agenda gets around to investigating this, I predict that they will find:

1. Yes, some workers do work over 60 hours in a week, because they WANT to. (Just like my brother-in-law who went to work on the Alaska pipeline way back then ... 60 hrs was nothing, but that's why he went.)

2. If anyone in the US on an hourly wage works less than the standard 40 hours, they get paid less than had they worked the full 40 hours, just like at Pegatron.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    This is not really what the article is about but it does touch upon it. Everyone keeps claiming the C in 5C stands for colour, and it may just be that, but I think it may be for Classic. I know it's not quite as a leap from iPod to iPod Touch to warrant a iPod Classic name for original received but it could make sense to call it classic. Just a though.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That worker needs to become an ex worker. Hopefully they will lose their job and be unable to provide for their family. Whatever happened to doubling down on security?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    The way i understand this statement is the phone was in trial on july 9th. That does not mean its not being mass produce right now.

Also I think I understand why we got so many leaks of the iphone 5C, it looks like Pegatron security is not as tight as Foxcon. That could explain why we have no ipad 5, iphone 6 leaks so far. On the other hand, low cost iphone leaks are not as damaging has new high product leaks, they actually help support the stocks atm.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

This is not really what the article is about but it does touch upon it. Everyone keeps claiming the C in 5C stands for colour, and it may just be that, but I think it may be for Classic. I know it's not quite as a leap from iPod to iPod Touch to warrant a iPod Classic name for original received but it could make sense to call it classic. Just a though.

Already people mentioned C is Cheap. 

• Reply 7 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So why mention it again, unless you too want to appear stupid?
  • Reply 8 of 36

Oh well. I guess I am finally throwing in the towel: the cheap plastic iPhone is coming.

At least, I hope it doesn't show up in that dumb-looking, plastic, mini-bathtub packaging. image

• Reply 9 of 36
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Already people mentioned C is Cheap. 

C will be for colors.  That being said I am not sure its a good choice, since some people will refer to them as "cheap" or "crap".

• Reply 10 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jivanile wrote: »

It is very possible that they want to field a replacement for iPod classic. Since most iPod sales have been replaced with Touch or iPhone sales it would make sense to offer something with the capacity to replace the iPod classic with a phone thrown in. A 128 GB of flash would be nice.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wings wrote: »
    Whenever someone without an agenda gets around to investigating this, I predict that they will find:

1. Yes, some workers do work over 60 hours in a week, because they WANT to. (Just like my brother-in-law who went to work on the Alaska pipeline way back then ... 60 hrs was nothing, but that's why he went.)
    Exactly, just like we do in the good ole US of A when we need a few bucks for that new roof, car down payment or Christmas gifts.
    2. If anyone in the US on an hourly wage works less than the standard 40 hours, they get paid less than had they worked the full 40 hours, just like at Pegatron.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    herbapou wrote: »
    C will be for colors.  That being said I am not sure its a good choice, since some people will refer to them as "cheap" or "crap".

That's not going to matter. Do you remember all of the morons and prepubescent people referring to the iPad as a feminine hygiene product? That didn't stop hundreds of millions of people from buying one, and if the new iPhone 5C is a decent product, then plenty of people will buy that too. Poverty is at record levels, and it seems that there are many penny pinchers out there.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Worries about the 'C' being the designator of the new cheaper iPhone if true, are unfounded. If the phone is called 'cheap' I don't think it will do any harm at all as it almost certainly won't be cheap or look cheap.

I remember the calumny and jokes heaped on the name iPad. No one is laughing now.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Honestly I would rather have plastic than the glass sandwich. All I do is cover the glass with ghost armor in hopes of protecting it and since I shattered yet another screen last night I'd have to say that isn't working well.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    customtb wrote: »
    Honestly I would rather have plastic than the glass sandwich. All I do is cover the glass with ghost armor in hopes of protecting it and since I shattered yet another screen last night I'd have to say that isn't working well.

Maybe don't shatter your screen instead? What, you think plastic won't crack just as well?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is very possible that they want to field a replacement for iPod classic. Since most iPod sales have been replaced with Touch or iPhone sales it would make sense to offer something with the capacity to replace the iPod classic with a phone thrown in. A 128 GB of flash would be nice.

Not gonna happen. 128GB is still an extremely niche case, and on they're not gonna bother making that SKU for the iPhone. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Every single letter of the alphabet includes a million negative words that starts with it, and trying to avoid that is ridiculous. This will be even less of an issue than all the other Apple product named that were mocked, but in the end was irrelevant. 

• Reply 17 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomTB View Post

Apple already moved away from the glass sandwich in 2012. It was a little something called the iPhone 5. 

• Reply 18 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Not gonna happen. 128GB is still an extremely niche case, and on they're not gonna bother making that SKU for the iPhone. 

Yet.

I have no doubt that there will eventually be a 128 GB iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    iPhone C. SekC. Still got butt like a letter C.

Or Curved.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That worker needs to become an ex worker. Hopefully they will lose their job and be unable to provide for their family. Whatever happened to doubling down on security?

Whatever happened to spy shots of iWatch prototypes?

Maybe the doubling down all happened in Apple HQ.