iPhone home button fingerprint scanner described in latest iOS 7 beta

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

The usefulness of this depends a lot on how quickly the scanning happens. Nobody wants to hold down for 5 seconds waiting for their phone to open.

It might take a little longer than entering a 4 digit passcode. I know our biometric scanner takes about 5 seconds but that is the whole palm not just the thumb. Either way it does add convenience if it is part of your keychain and can be used for other passwords besides the lock screen.

• Reply 22 of 102
    slurpy wrote: »
    There's no reason it would take 5 seconds. 

Why is that?
  • Reply 23 of 102
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

There's no reason it would take 5 seconds. 

How do you know that?  It will take however long it needs to based on the scanner hardware, software algorithms, dirt/dust, finger position, and quality of the fingerprint capture. 

• Reply 24 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    psitthipo wrote: »
    The bigger question is...which iPhone is this feature going to be available? I doubt iPhone 5S will have it, maybe 6 or 6S then.

Use your head. It wouldn't even be in this software if an iDevice wasn't being released with it. The 8th iPhone won't even run iOS 7, for heaven's sake.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hydr wrote: »
    No more pin, e-mail/passwords, etc. A secure system. Truly a step forward. YES!

What happens if you were to cut your finger temporarily or worse permanently damaging your finger print?
  • Reply 26 of 102
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

boy, we are so close of breaking $450 today.  There is major resistance there.

• Reply 27 of 102
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What happens if you were to cut your finger temporarily or worse permanently damaging your finger print?

It will still very likely have an option for a PIN code or some other alternate method to gain access to your phone as a back up. 

• Reply 28 of 102
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then you'd need to fall back to typing in a password. And if your fingers were chopped off completely, then you'd need to revert to using another fallback to enter your credentials, like asking for help. 

• Reply 29 of 102
    acatomicacatomic Posts: 60member
    I wish the scanner was inside/beneath the screen and not in the home button.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In January, well-connected insider Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities....

There you go again.

I look forward to a blog some day on how and why Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities walks on water for you guys....image

• Reply 31 of 102
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

Amazing revelation? He's usually accurate, there's no revelation about it. Quit trying to be such an ass, and spank yourself for being wrong.

Are you Ming-Chi Kuo?

You pop up singing his praises every time AI writes a story mentioning him.

• Reply 32 of 102
    mikejones wrote: »
    He's not accurate. He simply shifts the product and/or release date until eventually he might be right about a rumor. And in this case he simply used hindsight to change the previous rumor from 5 to 5S. That's about it. He's no more accurate than a expert colder reader pretending to be a spirit medium.

So he describes that Apple is planning to place the sensor under the home button in January, today's leaks confirm exactly that, and all you can say is "he just keeps pushing dates back until he's right". You're not very bright are you?

I also seem to recall early this year when everyone was thinking that there would be a new iPhone at WWDC, but Ming Chi Kuo said all the way back in January that the software engineering for the scanner UI would take too long for for a summer release. The mans got good sources. Today 9to5Mac confirmed the UI for the scanner is now completed.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Are you Ming-Chi Kuo?

You pop up singing his praises every time AI writes a story mentioning him.

Every time? I've posted in 2 or 3 AI threads in my entire life. And I didn't bring him up at all, that mike jones character brought him up. I don't understand the contentiousness a few of you "NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING EVAR" people. Accurate stuff about Apple's plans leaks all the time.... from Ming Chi Kuo, for example. And 9to5Mac. I would say Dalrymple too but he uses his sources only to discredit bad rumors usually pertaining to keynote dates.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This, to me, would be one of the best improvements to the iPhone since its inception, in terms of actual usage. Would be so awesome not having to enter passwords 73,293 times a day. Definitely make usage more enjoyable and efficient.

If it works well, it will have huge implications for technology.

• Reply 35 of 102
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This will allow the device to identify the user for various tasks such as entering passwords or authorizing purchases.

How about this:

iOS 7: fingerprint sensing replaces password entry, for unlocking iPhone / iPad and for online purchases.

iOS 8: fingerprint sensing authorizes purchases in participating brick-and-mortar stores.

Apple could first test fingerprint sensing purchase authorization in Apple Stores around the world.

It's not like there's any pressure to bring that to market yet.  Better to take their time and get it right.

Apple might even expand the "iTunes Store" to the "iCloud Store" for general brick-and-mortar retail store transactions.

There are hundreds of millions of iTunes accounts to leverage.

• Reply 36 of 102
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

The most important question for me is: Is this still a physical button? Because I really HATE that stupid home button! It never does what I intend to do. I press once and it register randomly one, two or three presses. I HATE IT!

• Reply 37 of 102
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is going to be totally awesome!, I hope.:D

If this is truly an advanced and secure fingerprint scanner, then it will be one of the most important iPhone features to ever have been added. I'd rather place my thumb on the home button instead of entering passwords all day long. And the average joe on the street is a dumbass using ridiculously easy passwords to break, so this fingerprint scanner system will be a huge step up in security for everybody!

Since we're talking about Apple, I can only assume that they're going to do it right, and not have a complete gimmick and toy like that horrible Android face recognition scam, which was a total joke, which was no surprise since Android is the least secure OS around.

I also hope that it will only work with living flesh, otherwise you could just cut off somebody's thumb and gain access to their phone.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    The most important question for me is: Is this still a physical button? Because I really HATE that stupid home button! It never does what I intend to do. I press once and it register randomly one, two or three presses. I HATE IT!

Take better care of it, then. I certainly hope it's still physical. We'll have users whining about how their phone locked up and there was "nothing they could do" otherwise.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    negafoxnegafox Posts: 480member

Interestingly, AuthenTec used to make biometric fingerprint sensors for Android phones before Apple purchased them last year. It was actually an interesting concept with the Motorola Atrix phones.

• Reply 40 of 102
    Definitely want the hardware button. It definitely has a psychological effect on the user. It conveys a sense of security.