"Siri… call an ambulance…"

?

You do know Siri won't do that, right?

She is not allowed to call 911.

• Reply 62 of 102
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

They also sever fingers for ransom purposes. Some Americans got screwed by that one.

Because Americans are more fond of giving them the finger, or…?

• Reply 63 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by signal1 View Post

Also, as far as damage to or loss of your thumb:  seems pretty likely that you would input your passcode to get access to settings, then re-initiate the scan setup procedure with the modified or different digit.

Yep, pretty much reinforcing the "$5 wrench" theory for me right there...

• Reply 64 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Who said anything about calling 911? I'm old school. "Call an ambulance" doesn't equal "call 911"… *sigh*

But… You do know I was kidding anyway, right?

Since you can't (afaik) get Siri's attention just by saying "Siri…"   image

• Reply 65 of 102
    morkymorky Posts: 200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradPro View Post

So, will NSA have all our thumbprints soon?

Exactly... Look on the bright side. If you're ever arrested, they don't need to take prints and mug shots. They've already got everything loaded in the database from your phone and will have an expedited processing line for iPhone owners.

• Reply 66 of 102
    I hope the designers are smarter than I. How will we hand off the phone to the passenger in our car while we're driving so they can answer the call, or make a call on our behalf, or use Maps to help us with directions.
  • Reply 67 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This, to me, would be one of the best improvements to the iPhone since its inception, in terms of actual usage. Would be so awesome not having to enter passwords 73,293 times a day. Definitely make usage more enjoyable and efficient.

1. Ease of use, as you suggested.

2. One more layer of security, making Enterprise and Government more interested in purchasing an iPhone over other brands. 

3. Differentiating the 5E "elite" premium iPhone from the 5C "consumer" plastic iPhone.

4. Differentiating Apple's products from those used by the unwashed toiling sweating masses. (Those who Amada Byrnes consider to ugly for her to notice)

• Reply 68 of 102
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Quote:

Who said anything about calling 911? I'm old school. "Call an ambulance" doesn't equal "call 911"… *sigh*

But… You do know I was kidding anyway, right?

Since you can't (afaik) get Siri's attention just by saying "Siri…"   image

Siri, call me an ambulance!

Ok, from now on I will call you "An Ambulance".

• Reply 69 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I hope the designers are smarter than I. How will we hand off the phone to the passenger in our car while we're driving so they can answer the call, or make a call on our behalf, or use Maps to help us with directions.

You hold the Home button down so the phone knows you are you and Siri asked you "How may I help you, master?" Then you say to Siri: "Let my drunken friend use you for exactly two minutes." Hand phone to friend. 

I expect that as long as you've unlocked the phone with your fingerprint, your fingerprint is no longer needed... or only needed again if you use certain apps where you might spend money.

• Reply 70 of 102
    juanm105juanm105 Posts: 49member

everyone keeps referring to the home button as IF it will be the physical home button that we have grown to love or hate. the code could be referring to a home button that is software generated on the display, it doesn't have to be the physical home button.

Also, just because the fingerprint code is in this BETA version of iOS 7, doesn't mean it will end up as functional code in iOS 7. It may be waiting for a newer iPhone and/or iPad. 

Better yet it could be a fake to get Samsung and others working on something that isn't coming out yet.

Whatever it is, it isn't what we think.

• Reply 71 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morky View Post

Exactly... Look on the bright side. If you're ever arrested, they don't need to take prints and mug shots. They've already got everything loaded in the database from your phone and will have an expedited processing line for iPhone owners.

The NSA can also interrogate Siri and she'll tell on you worse then your little sister did when your parents came home: "According to my built-in GPS he was definitely going over 100 mph, mister officer."

• Reply 72 of 102
    serendipserendip Posts: 93member
    No.. Galaxy S5.

1) Invent a brand new feature called fingerhome where there's a finger scanner under the back button.
    2) Get sued by Apple. Claim it's under the back button so it's totally different from the home button.
    3) Add a new feature where pressing the finger scanner will send a middle finger picture to all your Apple friends.
    4) Feature it in an ad blitz.
    4) Collect the money...
  • Reply 73 of 102
    serendipserendip Posts: 93member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

Then I see what Samsung will do next,

Invent a keychain with NFC chip,

Bump it with the phone to unlock it.

Make an Ad having bunch of people in front of Apple store,

And that's is Galaxy S5.

No.. Galaxy S5.

1) Invent a brand new feature called fingerhome where there's a finger scanner under the back button.

2) Get sued by Apple.  Claim it's under the back button so it's totally different from the home button.

3) Add a new feature where pressing the finger scanner will send a middle finger picture to all your Apple friends.

5) Collect the money from the lemmings while sending out lawyers to hold off Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

In any case, I need Apple to promise me there is no way EVER for this device to "photograph" my thumbprint, upload that image, and connect it to my device, usage, and other personal details via metadata. PROMISE ME!

THAT would be an option under "settings" > Sync my Biometrics.

You will find that just above, "Notify me who else is trying to use my iDevices."

• Reply 75 of 102
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I can already foresee the spike in the crime of dedigitation.

Problem with that is it wont work on the authentic sensor.  It reads the layer of living tissue under the outer dead skin with radio waves and cant be spoofed with a dead finger.

• Reply 76 of 102
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    In any case, I need Apple to promise me there is no way EVER for this device to "photograph" my thumbprint, upload that image, and connect it to my device, usage, and other personal details via metadata. PROMISE ME!

A scanner on the home button isn't going to be large enough to scan the whole thumb. They'll probably have to notify users to use the thumb-tip or center. If they ask to swipe over the home button, that could scan the whole print. The type of scanners they use also scan underneath the skin to avoid cuts so the same reading won't be the same on all sensors. It doesn't make sense for them to use the print directly either, it's better to modify the reading so it can be more easily protected and changed:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Cancelable_biometrics

I expect they will have to have a privacy policy stating what biometric data is processed and stored.
  • Reply 77 of 102
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Siri, call me an ambulance!

Ok, from now on I will call you "An Ambulance".

Just tried it. Siri actually was smart enough to call for an ambulance (but not before asking for confirmation).

"Call me handsome" worked just fine (but again only after confirmation).

• Reply 78 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Problem with that is it wont work on the authentic sensor.  It reads the layer of living tissue under the outer dead skin with radio waves and cant be spoofed with a dead finger.

Surely the tissue stays "alive" long enough to change the password of the amputee's password?

• Reply 79 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

No.. Galaxy S5.

2) Get sued by Apple.  Claim it's under the back button so it's totally different from the home button.

5) Collect the money from the lemmings while sending out lawyers to hold off Apple.

What's your response if Motorola accuses Apple of being a copycat of this fingerprint feature?

• Reply 80 of 102
    stevelstevel Posts: 11member
    What a useless gimmick. Zzzzzz....