Apple releases fourth beta of iOS 7 to developers with tweaked lock screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    nikilok wrote: »
    jetlaw wrote: »
    Voice Memos app seems to have gone missing once again.
    I see the Voice Memo app, its there on beta 4.

It's there, It's different. it works fine!
  • Reply 22 of 45
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member

Quote:

"Developers are advised to sync voice memos off of a device"

EUGH!!!! who writes this?? It's FROM, "FROM A DEVICE" you idiots.

• Reply 23 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    megasamer wrote: »
    PLZ what about battery with IOS 7 beta 4 for IPhone 5 .....
    is there solve this problem??

Yeah: don't install beta software on a device when you're not a developer.
    akf2000 wrote: »
    EUGH!!!! who writes this?? It's FROM, "FROM A DEVICE" you idiots.

Pretty sure they know what's correct.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

PhilBoogie View Post

Slurpy View Post

Glad to see the tweaks on homescreen. Definitely should make things less confusing. 

Also strange to see that upper pull down icon overlapping the WiFi icon.

That's only a side effect of using the most space-inefficient cell signal indicator imaginable. I may be an armchair iOS graphic designer, but I would have gone with a single vertical bar that fills with signal, like a rotated battery indicator.

nagromme View Post

But make those lines at top/bottom be something else, like "grab strips" (2 or 3 parallel lines) or else people won't know what the heck they are--in which case they may as well be removed! (Which could be just fine.)

So make it like the recent app trend of using three parallel lines to access their menu (Feedly, Duolingo, YouTube even does this on desktop web). I'm not sure if that's good or bad, when considering icon consistency, functionality, and visibility.

• Reply 25 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Downloading now for iP5 iP4S iPad4 iPad3 iPad2

Thanks for sharing that important information. 

• Reply 26 of 45
    Am I the only one that notice the notification center has the ability to delete the old notifications? Thank you, because my was full of everything.

If you are like me you will also notice that you can send picture within the message now. I was able to this in ios 7 beta 3, I had to send the picture from the photo album.

And Am the only only one with lines instead of arrows on the lock screen to pull up the control and pull down the notification center?
  • Reply 27 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The lock screen is still ridiculously washed out. "Are you running iOS6?" "yeah" "What time is it?"

And please, Apple, get rid of those silly NC and CC lines. Kiil them already. We know: swipe down, swipe up; got it! Those lines don't help AT ALL. They are simply ugly clutter.

• Reply 28 of 45
    pabbottpabbott Posts: 3member

Checked a new feature in the Beta 4. The Call answer screen has improved. it now includes a Remind Later Option and seperates the Call Answer and decline button.

The Call Answer is back to Tap instead of Slide to Answer- Thank God. Please see attached screenshot.

• Reply 29 of 45
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Ye
    slurpy wrote: »
    Glad to see the tweaks on homescreen. Definitely should make things less confusing. 

Yeah it's a huge upgrade. I'll never forget how to unlock the iPhone ever again in my life.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    alex101alex101 Posts: 40member

The arrow to the left of the "slide to unlock" looks a bit cheapish.

Furthermore, the arrow sits really close to the edge of the screen when your iPhone is set to German as "Zum Entsperren streichen" is noticeably longer than "slide to unlock". I wish they'd come up with a nicer looking unlock mechanism, tbh. Same goes for some of the icons (Photos, Game Center, Mail, Safari ... )

Overall, the lock screen looks pretty cluttered now and ... cobbled together. Getting rid of those fugly lines at the top and bottom would be a start, I guess. 

Otherwise, very solid update. My iP4 runs a lot smoother now than on beta 3 and I'm glad the feature to delete notifications in the NC is back again. 

Also, with so much swiping up and down going on, I wish they would've kept Spotlight as a regular page to the left of the home screen.

• Reply 31 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Dinner last night: pork medallions in a red wine reduction, mushrooms and potatoes. Fresh nectarine-blueberry cobbler ala-mode.

"I throw 'em in and 'wave 'em and I'm a brand new man, oh yeah"
  • Reply 32 of 45
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Since the developers forum is down. Any developer here were able to hide the status bar in their apps when building with xcode 5 beta?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The lock screen is still ridiculously washed out. "Are you running iOS6?" "yeah" "What time is it?"

And please, Apple, get rid of those silly NC and CC lines. Kiil them already. We know: swipe down, swipe up; got it! Those lines don't help AT ALL. They are simply ugly clutter.

Apple should remove these NC and CC lines after the user uses them for the first time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbott View Post

Checked a new feature in the Beta 4. The Call answer screen has improved. it now includes a Remind Later Option and seperates the Call Answer and decline button.

The Call Answer is back to Tap instead of Slide to Answer- Thank God. Please see attached screenshot.

I like it more but the rounded corners make them look weird when everything else is normal corner. They should just remove the rounded corners.

• Reply 33 of 45
    epsicoepsico Posts: 39member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Is every single one of your iDevices disposable? Do you not actively use a single one of those for anything important? I don't get downloading beta software on every single device you own. 

You can safely install iOS 7 on any device, as long as it's added to someone's developer portal (without this premise, it may be risky).  As long as Recovery Mode works, you're safe since you can always go back to either a previous version of the beta or the latest live version that Apple still signs for your device (Apple claims that you can't do this, but that's a lie, and they can't change that since they can't afford to prevent developers from resetting their devices to factory defaults just for being developers)..

• Reply 34 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uninterested_Viewer View Post

Uhh.. he's probably a developer...

Not necessarily. I heard non-developers signed up for the $99 iOS Developer program just to get their hands on iOS 7 beta. I wouldn't spend money on what will become a free iOS upgrade in a few months, but stranger things have happened.

• Reply 35 of 45
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    The iOS6 swipe-to-unlock method was both more elegant and more intuitive. The iOS7 approach smacks too much of "When minimalism goes to war with the conveyance of useful information, and minimalism wins".

This has the feeling of people who decided they needed to change the lock screen 'to make it ours' even if it got worse in the process, just to have their stamp on it. Will new users find this graphic easier or harder to figure out? Almost certainly harder (quite certainly neutral-or-harder, no way in hell easier). For that increase in difficulty, was there a compelling improvement in the aesthetics? I for one just don't see it, except in the eyes of a zealot for whom every visual detail is an abomination that needs to be expunged. Is there something cynical going on with the design teams where someone is saying "Yeah, it's worse but it's a universal gesture and once you learn it, you've got it... so even though new users are 10 times more likely to need to be shown what to do with the new design, you'll only need to do it once, and then our new design is much easier to tune out"? Because that's how it feels to me. It feels like Mr Ive forgot his criticism of things where you're hit in the face with design for design's sake. Hitting people in the face with minimalism that's worse than the original thing, done simple because it wanted to be more minimal is as bad as skeuomorphism that detracts from the experience. Worse, because skeuomorphism is at least there to give hints. Minimalism is about taking hints away.

• Reply 36 of 45
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

The iOS6 swipe-to-unlock method was both more elegant and more intuitive. The iOS7 approach smacks too much of "When minimalism goes to war with the conveyance of useful information, and minimalism wins".

This has the feeling of people who decided they needed to change the lock screen 'to make it ours' even if it got worse in the process, just to have their stamp on it. Will new users find this graphic easier or harder to figure out? Almost certainly harder (quite certainly neutral-or-harder, no way in hell easier). For that increase in difficulty, was there a compelling improvement in the aesthetics? I for one just don't see it, except in the eyes of a zealot for whom every visual detail is an abomination that needs to be expunged. Is there something cynical going on with the design teams where someone is saying "Yeah, it's worse but it's a universal gesture and once you learn it, you've got it... so even though new users are 10 times more likely to need to be shown what to do with the new design, you'll only need to do it once, and then our new design is much easier to tune out"? Because that's how it feels to me. It feels like Mr Ive forgot his criticism of things where you're hit in the face with design for design's sake. Hitting people in the face with minimalism that's worse than the original thing, done simple because it wanted to be more minimal is as bad as skeuomorphism that detracts from the experience. Worse, because skeuomorphism is at least there to give hints. Minimalism is about taking hints away.

You're over-exaggerating.

After literally 2 seconds people will figure out that a right swipe unlocks their device. Do you think that's a huge learning curve?

Honestly after people figure it out they won't forget it, and it's still better than a lot of the Android options that try their best not to skirt Apple's slide-to-unlock patents. Those solutions end up either too complicated or just plain rubbish.

• Reply 37 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    blackbook wrote: »
    ... and it's still better than a lot of the Android options that try their best not to skirt Apple's slide-to-unlock patents. Those solutions end up either too complicated or just plain rubbish.

When I see someone unlocking their Android phone it always seems they're giving their phone the middle finger, all over the screen.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Shouldn't they put the right arrow, er. to the right of the word "unlock?" Since you have the animation moving from left to right on the lock screen, it would make sense that it would end on a right arrow. Putting the arrow on the left doesn't look too good.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Putting the arrow on the left doesn't look too good.

Hasn't been a problem for the last 6 years having it on the left of 350M devices now.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

We Windows Phone users don't need to be nannied on how to unlock our phones.