iPhone home button fingerprint scanner described in latest iOS 7 beta

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    stevel wrote: »
    What a useless gimmick. Zzzzzz….

'Course it was the cat's pajamas when it was poorly executed on an Android device, huh. :p
  • Reply 82 of 102
    nick29nick29 Posts: 111member
    This makes things very interesting. I assumed that the sensor would only be used for security, but with the mentions of more precise cursor control, scrolling and app launching, I'll have to consider upgrading my 4S a year earlier than expected. Hopefully the feature is more precise and useful than Siri, which I hardly use due to poor voice recognition and natural language processing. I only use it for entertainment purposes or the occasional reminder. Unlike Siri people will have to use this home button constantly, hopefully Apple releases a polished product.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    Nearly a year ago on August 16th, DED wrote in an article...

[B]According to the filing, AuthenTec first began floating a new technology to "several leading consumer electronics companies," likely including its existing component customers Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, Fujitsu, HBO, HP, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, Nokia, Orange, Samsung, Sky, and Texas Instruments.

None of the companies AuthenTec approached expressed an interest in developing the technology apart from Apple, which began a conversation with the firm late last year. AuthenTec noted that the main reason Apple was the only interested party appears to be the cost involved.[/B]

Whatever was being shopped around to major players by AuthenTec might be revealed later this year.

Other companies had deeper ties with AuthenTec before Apple arrived, but decided to not to take the risk of joining AuthenTec. With Apple seeing something other companies did not see or could not afford, Apple decided to buy the company and all IP and patents.

Since other companies were licensing IP, Apple appears to be on very solid ground with protecting whatever it has developed with AuthenTec. No copying should be allowed!

I do wonder if the rumor of LG planning to announce fingerprint technology in its upcoming smartphone will pan out or not.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Interestingly, AuthenTec used to make biometric fingerprint sensors for Android phones before Apple purchased them last year. It was actually an interesting concept with the Motorola Atrix phones.

HP used AuthenTec back around 2004 on their iPAQ line.

The first retina-screen smartphone (the 2007 Toshiba Portégé G900) had a fingerprint scanner which not only could be used to unlock the phone, but you could even set it up so that each finger launched a different application.   Not sure if it was AuthenTec, though.  Hmm.  Probably not.

• Reply 85 of 102
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    This is the one feature that can and will push the 5S into the sweet spot in users hearts. Additional speed, better camera thats all expected and nothing unique. Even the up and coming LTE-A is not ready to be fully deployed.
    Hopefully Apple doesn't let us down.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

of course we have all been anticipating this ... but still - it's huge.

please Apple, just give me a universal thumbprint password that works with everything. i HATE passwords. and no, the one password apps aren't an answer - they're just for techies.

• Reply 87 of 102
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

of course we have all been anticipating this ... but still - it's huge.

please Apple, just give me a universal thumbprint password that works with everything. i HATE passwords. and no, the one password apps aren't an answer - they're just for techies.

Well with iCloud keychains baked into iOS 7 and Mavericks, it's looking like you'll be able to have all your passwords and maybe credit cards saved into the cloud and encrypted and protected.

Only way to access and unlock the vital info will be your fingerprints.

• Reply 88 of 102
    yesiamyesiam Posts: 9member
    Time to buy apple stock, good luck beating that Samsung.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

no love lost here either, but… it sounds like you should take yours in to have it looked at. Really, mine never does that.

I could, but you see, there is no Apple store in my country so I have to live with it.

• Reply 90 of 102
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    The first retina-screen smartphone (the 2007 Toshiba Portégé G900) had a fingerprint scanner which not only could be used to unlock the phone, but you could even set it up so that each finger launched a different application.   Not sure if it was AuthenTec, though.  Hmm.  Probably not.

Does this qualify as retina?
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=707&c=toshiba_portege_g900

Display:Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
    Display-Diagonal: 3 "
    Display+Resolution: 800 x 480

• Reply 91 of 102
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Siri, call me an ambulance!

Ok, from now on I will call you "An Ambulance".

Funniest thing I've read all day.

• Reply 92 of 102
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member

Quote:

Originally Posted by YesIAm View Post

Time to buy apple stock, good luck beating that Samsung.

That largely depends on the point of this sensor.

If it's linked to some type of "iPay" Air Drop powered currency exchange and payment system, it's basically going to bury NFC, ISIS and whatever else and help Apple bring in billions.

If it's just there to unlock my phone, no thanks.

• Reply 93 of 102
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I also hope that it will only work with living flesh, otherwise you could just cut off somebody's thumb and gain access to their phone.

What could possibly be on someone's phone that's worth that amount of effort?

• Reply 94 of 102
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member

Finally I can unlock my gf's iPhone when she's in deep sleep (Hold her thumb over her iPhone) image

• Reply 95 of 102
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Finally I can unlock my gf's iPhone when she's in deep sleep (Hold her thumb over her iPhone) image

Creepy...

• Reply 96 of 102
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

I hope the designers are smarter than I. How will we hand off the phone to the passenger in our car while we're driving so they can answer the call, or make a call on our behalf, or use Maps to help us with directions.

temporarily disable the fingerprint check, maybe? kind of like you enable/disable the "pin" to log onto your phone now. It's OPTIONAL. :)

either that or you'll have to hand them your thumb along with the phone. Ginzu knife not included.

It could be as easy as this though:

"Jeannie, I mean um, Siri, turn off fingerprint scan. But just this once."

"Yes, master."

I can dream too….

• Reply 97 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

What could possibly be on someone's phone that's worth that amount of effort?

my secret sauce recipe…? doh! here, take the phone! I don't NEED it!

the phrase "he's all thumbs" keeps popping into my head… it isn't pretty.

• Reply 98 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Creepy...

says "Hentai Boy"… Hentai IS the epitome of 'creepy' in Japan... image

but I agree, that bit about the sleeping girlfriend was a tad squirrelly...

• Reply 99 of 102
    rjc999rjc999 Posts: 69member

With the Moto X launching with so many new and unique features, if this is all the 5S/5C have, Apple's going to be in trouble. 5C might be DoA.

• Reply 100 of 102
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjc999 View Post

With the Moto X launching with so many new and unique features, if this is all the 5S/5C have, Apple's going to be in trouble. 5C might be DoA.

Moto X hardware with customizable color options and wrap-around glass face, assembled in a 1.0 factory by Americans (well, residents of Texas) and run by a company that's never built a successful hardware product (Google replaced Motorola's CEO with an advertising executive), paired with Android's face unlock, NFC with Google Wallet, an "iOS like Game Center," an "iOS like FaceTime," an "iOS like iMessages, well at least SMS sync across devices," "an iOS like do-not-update-apps-automatically option," an "iOS-like can-this-app-have-privileges" feature and ... what else am I missing? 

Sounds spectacular.