Apple TV to get automatic "touch to configure" setup via Bluetooth 4.0, iOS 7

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple appears to be using a novel device setup method to ease initial configuration of Apple TV under iOS 7, using an NFC-like touch without NFC hardware.

Source: Benedict Evans

An Apple TV setup screen image tweeted by Benedict Evans depicts a welcome screen with the instructions:

"Use an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 7 to automatically set up your Apple TV. Unlock your device, enable Bluetooth, and touch this Apple TV with it."

The screen notes "not available on iPhone 4 and iPad 2," indicating that the feature makes use of Bluetooth 4.0, first introduced on the iPhone 4S. The technology also plays a central role in Apple's new iBeacons feature.

User Nat Brown replied:

@BenedictEvans seriously, cool - sends BT pulse to the AppleTV with accelerometer bump timestamp, iOS device and AppleTV match TS via cloud.

? Nat Brown (@natbro)

The new configuration replaces Apple TV's existing setup procedure that requires navigation of onscreen menus via an IR remote, typically including the entry of the WIFi network password, and the network name if it's hidden. The device also needs to be added to iTunes Home Sharing.

Source: Apple

Once configured, iOS users can download Apple's free Remote app to turn their mobile device into a sophisticated, multitouch remote control (shown above), but this requires a configured Apple TV to use.

The new setup method also appears to explain why Apple hasn't bought into NFC, the technology Google introduced for Android 2.3 Gingerbread in late 2010 and at the core of Google Wallet (introduced mid 2011) and the Android Beam sharing feature introduced in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich at the end of 2011.

While industry pundits have long questioned why Apple hasn't added NFC to its iOS devices and cited it as a competitive advantage of Android products, Google has dropped the technology from its own revamped Nexus 7 device, and HTC doesn't support it on its flagship One phone either.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Very cool. But that UI is seriously hurting my eyes. Lose the gloss Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 41
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    Now this is clever. Looks like iBeacon is going to be the next killer app.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's getting really hard to read your posts Dan. Every sentence you write drips of so much fanboyism you make Gruber look like a Girl Scout.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    rogifan wrote: »

Are you talking about the first picture? That has nothing to do with Apple. it's just a picture that some dude snapped of their tv screen.

I have an Apple TV and the UI looks just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I have an Apple TV and the UI looks just fine.

Still, the UI gloss on buttons and highlights should pass away for something more like Illuminous (the old rumored new look for iTunes… what was it, 8?).
  • Reply 6 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Still, the UI gloss on buttons and highlights should pass away for something more like Illuminous (the old rumored new look for iTunes… what was it, 8?).

Since IOS 7 is coming out, maybe Apple TV will get an updated UI eventually too.

I've only had the Apple TV for a few weeks, but to be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the UI. I guess that I was too busy watching movies.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's getting really hard to read your posts Dan. Every sentence you write drips of so much fanboyism you make Gruber look like a Girl Scout.

You just now concluded that about DED articles?

• Reply 8 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Are you referring to the glare on the television screen?  Isn't that caused by the television itself and not the Apple TV?  Or do you mean the colors displayed by the Apple TV interface?

• Reply 9 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Still beats green felt, tan leather, and brown woodgrain!

• Reply 10 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Still beats green felt, tan leather, and brown woodgrain!

Ah, I can see it now. Apple TV's OS hearkening back to the days when TVs were given faux wood paneling, had bulging glass screens, and were given built-in tabletops to move units. Oh, and you had to recharge the vacuum tubes (reinstall the OS) every few months.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    NFC: The new Adobe Flash
  • Reply 12 of 41
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

exactly. damn, you beat me to it.

• Reply 13 of 41
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

I've read this article three times now; and maybe it's because it's late, but I'm just not seeing it. 

OK, so there's a smattering of (deserved) schadenfreude in the last two paragraphs; but honestly, what else in this article screams "fanboyism" to you?

• Reply 14 of 41
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jkichline wrote: »

Why?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Quote:

In case you hadn't noticed, DED doesn't write to please his critics.

• Reply 16 of 41
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    jkichline wrote: »

I'm not seeing the comparison.

NFC is more like a DOA technology unlike flash which permeated the web Pre-iPad and is more akin to Microsoft, PCs and other dated dinosaur technology.

That being said if Apple were to use NFC for their payment solution no one would trash the technology anymore.

I do remember AuthenTec had quite a few NFC related patents that could be valuable to Apple combined with the patents they already have on the technology.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    tylerdtylerd Posts: 33member
    So if I understand how this works, you do not actually need to tap the ATV. You just need to be within Bluetooth range and tap you phone (the ATV has no accelerometer)? The ATV just needs to receive the BT pulse that matches the timestamp as the one that the device sends. This is matched in the cloud. Is that correct?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Bumping a phone to send data, not very Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    ireland wrote: »

How about you participate in a grown up conversation instead of hurling nebulous insults?

What, you do you think NFC has been a successful initiative for Google? Your personal attacks are tiresome and childish. If you prefer to read a poorly informed sarcastic paragraph that only flatters Google's failures with praise and takes cliched potshots at Apple, you have lots of other options available to you.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,722member
    I
    Ah, I can see it now. Apple TV's OS hearkening back to the days when TVs were given faux wood paneling, had bulging glass screens, and were given built-in tabletops to move units. Oh, and you had to recharge the vacuum tubes (reinstall the OS) every few months.

I knew that YouTube App icon looked familiar ;)