Nokia Lumia 1020 hardware 'lags behind' while Microsoft struggles to update Windows Phone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    qamf wrote: »
    Yes, I was very active on this site from 3-5 years ago...

Should have logged into your old account; we don't allow multiples.
    seems better nowadays.

Utter nonsense.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

Yes, I was very active on this site from 3-5 years ago...

Quote:

Should have logged into your old account; we don't allow multiples.

Quote:

seems better nowadays.

Utter nonsense.

Sorry, I don't have the email address or password required to get the other account.... I also don't remember what I called it.  If you have/know of a way for me to get it that doesn't requite a lot of other peoples time please tell me! 

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

It's an Apple fan site.  Given you stated you haven't used Android until 2 months ago I wonder how you could discuss what OSX/iOS did badly in comparison to Android 3-5 years ago.

Firstly, I believe I said Windoze and Android.  And pointing out that Android had a better notification center and broad things that which I believe now anyone would agree that Android had a better notification system than Apple for quite a while...

Anyhow, I don't see a "Site mission" or "about us" anywhere (anyone have that?) but my understanding is this is a site to talk about thngs that are going on inside Apple, or rumors about Apple.  That is what the sites title indicates.  I am happy to be disproved :)

And Honestly, my issues with this site were partially my fault, I didn't think about what I said or how I worded it most of the time.  Looking back, I could have done a lot better, but people were also a tab crazy about Apple and how Windoze/Android were worse, period.  At least, that is how I felt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

The Lumia 928 and even the new Blackberry Z10 are nice devices with decent mobile operating systems (having tested both).  The problem is STILL their app ecosystems and the fact that they are years late to the party.  Either one would be huge winners in 2010 or even maybe 2011.  If the 808 had been a 920 + 808 camera module both Nokia and MS would be doing better.  Heck if the 920+808 camera replaced BOTH phones in the 2012 lineup both Nokia and MS would be doing better.  

The 1020 is the first WP with a clear edge in SOME niche over both Apple and Samsung phones (even IMHO the S4 Zoom but we'll have to see...the f2.2 lens and larger sensor in the Nokia + how well the 808 did leads me to believe better real world performance over the S4 Zoom).  Which is why it's a serious contender in this household over the iPhone 5S to replace an existing iPhone 4S.

For my wife apps are secondary but it's a key differentiator for many other folks.  That you don't get the app thing doesn't make it not important. 

Huh? the 92x line doesn't have any advantages?  How about low light photos, video stabilization, along with a bunch of other stupid stuff (imo) like wireless charging, and Microsoft Office (really M$?).

And yes, I know apps are big for some people, I "made" a simple guide:

1. you want lots of apps and a very stable/safe/supported OS: go for Apple

2a. if you don't care so much about apps, and want more (and currently better) social integration into the OS and generally speaking better Cameras (flagships) go Lumia for WP8 (other WP8 devices don't make any sense to me)

3a. If you want a flagship off contract for cheap go Lumia 92x.

3. If you really want to screw around with your OS go Android.

-QAMF

• Reply 63 of 68
    xiao-zhixiao-zhi Posts: 112member
    This is bound to get some sort of a niche market for people that really want a high resolution camera in their phone, such as insurance claims adjusters or undercover paparazzi, but I'm having difficulty believing the average teenage girl will bug her parents to fork-over $300 once she figures out how scary 41 megapixel selfies look after trying it in Best Buy.

And can someone please tell Nokia bright yellow is not the most popular color outside Northern Europe, we have actual sunshine in the rest of the world. Wow, Scandinavians sure like plastic in primary colors.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    maximjmaximj Posts: 4member
    Having used an iphone 4s, a nokia lumia 820 and a galaxy s4. I dont quite understand all the nokia bashing. Nokia is not lagging behind. Infact I'd dare say the hardware specs on its 920 and even its 820 are in some ways superior to those of the Iphone 5. Saying the processor speed or pixel density dont matter, but the way the OS uses it. Is hypocritical. As when apple is on top hardware wise, people on this, and other apple fansites love to point it out. Yet when it is inferior, its suddenly "irrelevant cuz iOS".
    iOS7 has similarities to wp for a reason, ms has come up with something new and refreshing, and I for one dont consider it inferior to iOS.

Nokia always has, and still does make good hardwate. So attacking them on that point is skating on thin ice. Apple hardware isnt nearly as consistent.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    maximj wrote: »
    Saying the processor speed or pixel density dont matter, but the way the OS uses it. Is hypocritical.

Uh, how, when Android has better specs on paper for, what, most of the run of the iPhone and yet can't manage to scroll smoothly? Explain.
    As when apple is on top hardware wise, people on this, and other apple fansites love to point it out. Yet when it is inferior, its suddenly "irrelevant cuz iOS".

Yep, you've missed the point of both of those statements.
    iOS7 has similarities to wp for a reason, ms has come up with something new and refreshing

*snort*

Microsoft has come up with something different. That is the extent of the compliment that can be given. There's a reason Windows Phone Seven and Eight have 2% marketshare.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, how, when Android has better specs on paper for, what, most of the run of the iPhone and yet can't manage to scroll smoothly? Explain.

Yep, you've missed the point of both of those statements.

*snort*

Microsoft has come up with something different. That is the extent of the compliment that can be given. There's a reason Windows Phone Seven and Eight have 2% marketshare.

Spot on on scrolling and such.  My iPhone 4 is much smoother for internet then my nook HD+, friends HTC (some dual core 1.2Ghz) and another friends Nexus 7.

Also (in regards to the post you replied to,) Apple makes their own hardware and generally has focused more on GPU (until Swift core) and less on CPU.  When Apple wants to make a device, they look at how to make something that will run well enough for people to use, that will be stable, have good yields with their huge (relative) GPUs and low power.

Microsoft came up with something that is different, and, far nicer in many respects than iOS.  Windows Phone 8 is selling at an increasing rate currently....

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/ios-phone-share-growing-faster-than-android-in-us-uk-and-france

and also other articles (off site): http://bgr.com/2013/04/29/windows-phone-8-u-s-sales-q1-2013-472788/

Would you care to read that articles?  In the one from Apple Insider, it shows in some countries Windows 8 Phone is gaining faster than iOS (or declining slower) 

It clearly shows: 2 ties, 4 losses, and 4 wins.  In terms of growth.

And, btw their marketshare wordwide is over 50% higher than what you said it was.  Is that very much?  no.  Is it a lot more phones than you say it is? Yes.

Please have facts ready when you state things.

Have you even seriously tried using W8P?  Probably not.

-QAMF

• Reply 67 of 68

Fix to "Nokia Lumia 3g/4g not working"

Watch solution at following youtube video:

http://youtu.be/n3X2OPh0Oko

• Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximJ View Post

iOS7 has similarities to wp for a reason, ms has come up with something new and refreshing, and I for one dont consider it inferior to iOS.

This is a myth. They have almost nothing in common. 

New? Yes

Refreshing? I certainly think so. I like Windows Phone quite a bit.

Similar to iOS7? Not even close, and anyone that actually has spent time would both would agree.