How can i change my icons?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi im new to mac and I´m wondering how i can change my icons to som icons that i have downloaded?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    go <a href="http://www.iconfactory.com/cb_home.asp"; target="_blank">here</a> and download candybar, they let you use it free for a few days. they have many icons available as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cubecube Posts: 142member
    Thx

Is there a free way to do this?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    not that i've ever come across, i haven't looked around since i got candybar. it's only 13$ (us)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thx again
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Yeah, there is a free way, click get info for the icons you have downloaded. In the info box, click the picture of the icon, and copy it. Then open the get info box for the application/file/folder that is the icon you want to change, click the picture of the icon you want to change, then hit paste, and the new icon will appear.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thx alot xionja

But it sounds risky... do I lose my old Icons then?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    well sorta, i think they probably exist somewhere else on the computer.

i have only changed the one for my external harddrive.

i guess you could probably 'back up' the icon by assigning the old one to another file before you change it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    if you copy the icons manually like xionja explained, if you want the originals back - just apple - i for the info, then click on the image and delete it (del) - you will have back the original icons.