Galaxy S 4 on steroids: Samsung caught doping in benchmarks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Watson View Post

What a bunch of hypocrites you all are. I bet you wouldnt dare to talk shit about apple, you were all the first to defend when apple was guilty of price fixing and could possibly be fined 500 mill, or foxconn workers suiciding because of poor working conditions. Pathetic. Wow, defending multi billion dollar companies that don't give a shit about you.

Apple insider, why don't you grow a pair and adopt professional journalism? Do you see android central talking shit about apple? This site is a joke.

Samsung's PR department is pretty quick with the new shill accounts. What exactly do either of those have to do with the story on hand other than a pathetic deflection attempt?

• Reply 42 of 153
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    What a bunch of hypocrites you all are. I bet you wouldnt dare to talk shit about apple, you were all the first to defend when apple was guilty of price fixing and could possibly be fined 500 mill, or foxconn workers suiciding because of poor working conditions. Pathetic. Wow, defending multi billion dollar companies that don't give a shit about you.

Apple insider, why don't you grow a pair and adopt professional journalism? Do you see android central talking shit about apple? This site is a joke.

Or shut up and go away. You could do that.
  • Reply 44 of 153
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Simple solution:

Aggregate Performance Measurement
    1. Start the benchmark on a device with a full battery charge
    2. Run benchmark until battery dies
    3. Normalize results to device with largest aggregate

In benchmarking

… as in lovemaking -- you don't just count the short strokes!

Now you tell me!
  • Reply 45 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    qamf wrote: »
    <h1>
    THE CLOCK RATE MAXES AT 480 INSTEAD OF 533.  NOT 300 LIKE APPLEINSIDER IS CLAIMING.

is it bad still, yes.  But not as bad as they are saying.</h1>

Probably because almost all companies do this in one way or another.
    Why?  Almost every company does this for different benchmarks?  This would be like telling you family to avoid Intel because they do tons of optimizations when they run their benchmarks for their claims?
    No, it does not.  The chip runs at 533Mhz (well, 532 according to anandtech) during some benchmarks.  Otherwise it caps at 480Mhz.

There is nothing that talks about the specifications on the feature page, and the fine print would take care of it.

You technically can get the GPU to hit the rate they provided, just not in a useful manner.
    No.  At least, I don't see what it would be about.

You can still hit that clock rate, you just cannot do it in a useful manner.

-QAMF

Yep. Didn't take the Samsung shills long to defend this dishonest practice.
  • Reply 46 of 153
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

They can be relevant for certain things like display quality, audio quality, etc. In most cases, though, spec sheets are thrown out as a way to distract you from the fact that the performance of the software in the system is so abysmal that they had to have such high specs just to make it run decently. In fact, a spec sheet is more impressive if you show that you are doing just as much, if not possibly more, than your competition with lower speced devices than theirs. If my phone with half the RAM and half the CPU cores has better UI responsiveness, runs all the same apps and games, and has equally if not better performance in real-world usage how exactly is it "lacking" anything? Going around bragging to everyone about the specs of your phone is just as much epeen waving as benchmark scores.

What's even more impressive then that are company's that realize it's not an either/or argument.  It's possible to have your cake and eat it too!

• Reply 47 of 153
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I'm waiting for Gatorguy and KDarling to weigh in on this issue!
    :D

Funny, so was I. KD's posts are like reading a good comic … 'Ive been an THE expert in / run the entire universe's IT / bla bla bla for thirty years so I know more than Apple and the Planet Grog combined …" LOL
  • Reply 48 of 153

okey!
    Newbie's Welcome
  • Reply 49 of 153
    marskmarsk Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pujones1 View Post

Unscrupulous. Trying to get everyone to buy into their bull on specs and performance while selling a pinto engine in a mustang body. Lol.

Look!! Our screen is bigger than Apple's. Our processor is faster than Apple's. We are cool and Apple is for older folks. Lol. You can't use SD cards in Apple stuff, you can with Samsung (that's because we use over have your internal memory).

But people buy their stuff anyway and think they better than Apple and are somehow getting the best deal out there without paying a higher price.

You get what you pay for. Lol.

Yeah, exactly! And those Fandroid keep calling iPhone user iSheep, but actually the Android are more fit in to the sheep description, they only concern spec. on paper, screen size, but totally ignored the user experience and how well it day to day perform. 

Fandroid user keep upgrading their phone and hope one day the touch will be as smooth as iPhone, so then they can laugh at iPhone user, but it will never happen because Android OS foundation architecture could not well maintain thread on UI touch response, therefore Android will never feel as good as iPhone. So, that's why they have to keep pull up the CPU / GPU speed and double size of RAM, to overcome the fundamental flaw of Android OS.

• Reply 50 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Watson View Post

Meh. For a first troll post, I'll give it a 4 out of 10.

• Reply 51 of 153
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

What's even more impressive then that are company's that realize it's not an either/or argument.  It's possible to have your cake and eat it too!

If the higher-speced phone is not doing anything that is impossible with the lower speced phone than the pimping spec sheet is doing nothing but epeen waving. So great, you're phone has quad-core CPUs and multi-GBs of RAM. Is anything actually taking advantage of it? In the vast majority of cases? No. The spec-whoring is nothing more than a way to feed into the benchmark-whoring. Both are essentially worthless unless shown to have any relevance to real-world usage.

• Reply 52 of 153
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

Quote:

Both are essentially worthless unless shown to have any relevance to real-world usage.

Yes, both are essentially worthless except for when they're not.  On that I agree.

• Reply 53 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Samsung's PR department is pretty quick with the new shill accounts. What exactly do either of those have to do with the story on hand other than a pathetic deflection attempt?

Nah... He's not from Samsung. Just an Apple hater. Samsung PR department would be saying things like...

"At Samsung all our products reflect our dedication to integrity and honesty. Unfortunately one of our junior engineers accidentally left some experimental code in the distributed software package. The benchmark optimization code was an honest mistake which we deeply regret. Our team is currently investigating the incident and the engineer responsible has been fired." 

• Reply 54 of 153
    marskmarsk Posts: 30member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Nah... He's not from Samsung. Just an Apple hater. Samsung PR department would be saying things like...

"At Samsung all our products reflect our dedication to integrity and honesty. Unfortunately one of our junior engineers accidentally left some experimental code in the distributed software package. The benchmark optimization code was an honest mistake which we deeply regret. Our team is currently investigating the incident and the engineer responsible has been fired." 

Actually Samsung has been hired a lot "ghostwriter" and deploy them on every Tech blog / forum to bad mouth its competition and praise Samsung's product.

They disguised themselves as a normal reader, but actually they are getting paid by Samsung to attack on Apple.

Samsung admits paying students to lambast rival phones in fake web reviews

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04/17/samsung-fake-web-reviews/  ;

• Reply 55 of 153
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

The 300mhz clock rate was for what the iPad 4's GPU cores run at. It was in reference to this section:

Basically they were saying that since both Apple and Samsung were using the same GPU cores it was simple to compare GPU performance between them since the difference was only in the clock rates (which was the reference of 533mhz vs 300mhz). Reading comprehension is a good skill you might want to pick up.

Yeah, sorry. Very bad on me.  Sorry!! :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

Not covered in this article is WHY Samsung would do this. The speed is there, why not use it for all applications? I'm sure the tech community will start guessing, and I have two possibilities:

1) When going full speed for extended lengths of time, the chip builds up too much heat and with either shut down or either damage other hardware of damage the chip itself.

2) When going full speed it drains the battery at an accelerated rate. The battery life would suffer so much the phone would be unsellable.

Huh? It is only a small clockspeed bump.  Besides, Anandtech's tests already showed that heat is an issue with the S4.  Check out their review :)

It wouldn't be #2, because the point of having variable clock speeds is that applications get what they need.  I guess if all you ever did with your phone was benchmark then this would make the phone less sellable.  I don't see an impact of over 5% of the battery life, which is still quite a bit.  Stupid smartphones with their puny battery life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joogabah View Post

Predatory ethics!  I guess honesty is just for the weak minded.

Yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

If you're truly interested in the answer, you should check out some introductory writeups about the pros and cons of over-clocking.

Are you talking about binning, or overclocking?  the 533Mhz clock is a bin.  Not an overclock.

-QAMF

• Reply 56 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsk View Post

Actually Samsung has been hired a lot "ghostwriter" and deploy them on every Tech blog / forum to bad mouth its competition and praise Samsung's product.

They disguised themselves as a normal reader, but actually they are getting paid by Samsung to attack on Apple.

Yeah... but in this case he is neither bad mouthing the iPhone or praising Samsung. I mean really...when you get so caught with your hand in the cookie jar, all you can do is say something apologetic or make excuses like well everybody else cheats too and much worse, which is the gist of his argument.

• Reply 57 of 153
    You know, for all the crap that Apple has been taking from Google and Samsung with their commercials about Android/Samsung devices being perceived 'better' (S4 pool party commercial, people waiting in line at stores commercial, etc.), Apple not once did something like this, yet they deserve to. I hope the day that Samsung crashes and burns with a huge, outrageous mistake is near, so people can finally see their true colors.

Sorry for the somewhat furious post, but Samsung really messed up this time :X
  • Reply 58 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by QAMF View Post

It is only a small clockspeed bump. 

9%

• Reply 59 of 153
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Samsung is such a tool. It copies everyones tech and cheats every way it can to try and impress nobody.
    Lame!:grumble:
  • Reply 60 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    marsk wrote: »

<h1 style="font-family:'Droid Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:24px;margin-top:.25em;margin-bottom:.5em;line-height:normal;">Samsung admits paying students to lambast rival phones in fake web reviews</h1>

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/04/17/samsung-fake-web-reviews/  

Wait for the Samsung shills to defend THAT, too.......