Google caught using misleading report to claim Nexus 7 outsold iPad in Japan

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Google was recently caught citing a flawed study to claim that its Nexus 7 tablet had become the most popular tablet device in Japan earlier this year, even though that study didn't count iPad sales originating in Apple's direct sales, or two of the largest carriers in that country.

In announcing the new version of its Nexus 7 tablet, Google's Sundar Pichai showed off a number of figures demonstrating the growth of the Android tablet market. Among those figures was the claim that the Nexus 7 had become the most popular tablet in Japan, outperforming even Apple's popular iPad.

That claim, though, was based on a study released in January from Japanese market research firm BCN. BCN's study looked at sales from 2,400 stores in Japan, but it left out not only Apple Stores, but also Japanese telecom giants SoftBank and KDDI.

Apple has a total of seven retail stores in Japan, and it is uncertain to what extent those stores account for sales of Apple's products in the country. It's also unlikely that BCN's figures took Apple's direct online retail sales into account in its figures. Thus, the study likely, due to its very construction, missed out on several of the major outlets for iPad purchases.

Additionally, BCN's "study" was more of a survey in actuality. It only covered about 16 percent of tablet-carrying sales channels inside Japan.

Looking into the issue, SlashGear spoke with a representative from IDC, a more established market research firm that both media outlets and manufacturers cite regularly. That representative cast further doubt on Google's claims, saying he was "a bit puzzled" that the search giant relied on a study with such questionable methodology.

"We count the Nexus 7 as part of Asus' shipments," the representative said, "and looking at our Japan numbers for 4Q12 ? which represents shipments into the channel ? Apple shipped about 773K iPad units versus about 350K Nexus 7 units for Asus."

Despite by some measures shipping less than half the total of iPad shipments into Japan, the Nexus 7 remains a considerably popular tablet and among the most popular in a continually growing Android tablet market. In presenting the new Nexus 7, Google representatives pointed out that there have now been about 70 million Android tablet activations, with about 50 million of those coming in the last 12 months. While that number may raise eyebrows given Google's prior reliance on BCN's flawed numbers, the activation figure presumably comes from Google's own servers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Do no evil, eh?

• Reply 2 of 103
    More good news today!
  • Reply 3 of 103
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Most people I know that have an Android tablet, including the Nexus 7, use it sparingly, and only for reading. So basically a glorified e-reader, as opposed to a full iPad experience. 

Those people also bought them solely based on price and/or that it ran Google services supposedly better. 

My anecdotal evidence is probably as reliable as the report Google used.

• Reply 4 of 103

The Google/Android/Samsung consortium is not having a good news day. It makes me smile inside.

• Reply 5 of 103
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    I wonder if The BBC and The Guardian will publish this.
  • Reply 5 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The Google/Android/Samsung consortium is not having a good news day. It makes me smile inside.

Sure, but since the news media won't make a big deal out of it (like they would if it was Apple) and since Wall Street won't care, it's meaningless.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selva Raj View Post

More good news today!

Why is it good news?

You can't admire Apple without relishing in every other company's "suffering"? It's not a zero sum game.

• Reply 8 of 103
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    pendergast wrote: »
    Most people I know that have an Android tablet, including the Nexus 7, use it sparingly, and only for reading. So basically a glorified e-reader, as opposed to a full iPad experience. 

Those people also bought them solely based on price and/or that it ran Google services supposedly better. 

My anecdotal evidence is probably as reliable as the report Google used.

The Nexus 7 has a fairly large gamer following as well. I'm not a huge fan of 7" tablets but the new one is looking pretty good to me, I will probably end up picking up one to use like you said, a reader. I looked at the iPad Mini and wasn't to impress with the screen, at least when compared to my Nook, I think the Nexus 7 is a better deal with a much better screen. I don't need the full iPad experience as you put it for a eBooks reader and casual surfing.
  • Reply 9 of 103
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

This is not that big a deal. They cited a report without digging into the method of analysis. Quite common.

• Reply 10 of 103
    Statcounter, for operating systems (this includes tablets but excludes smartphones) has iPad going from 1.96% December 2012 to 2.59% July 2013. Android went from 0.54% Dec 2012 to .88% July 2013. Absolute increase in iPad is higher than Android over this time frame so it seems unlikely that any single brand outsold iPad over the first 6 months.

1st quarter numbers are more in iPads favor 1.96% to March 2.41% vs Android 0.54% to 0.69%.
  • Reply 11 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This is not that big a deal. They cited a report without digging into the method of analysis. Quite common.

It's okay to lie and be unethical. Everyone does it!

• Reply 12 of 103
    euphoniouseuphonious Posts: 303member

Isn't this supposed to be an Apple news site?

Half the articles these days exist to provide red meat to the faithful, rather than useful information about Apple. Who has decided that constantly dredging up fairly inconsequential criticisms of Google or Samsung is a good editorial direction, rather than actually providing stimulating material about Apple?

I love my Apple products, but I don't have to run down Google ten times a day to prove it.

• Reply 13 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Who has decided that constantly dredging up fairly inconsequential criticisms of Google or Samsung is a good editorial direction, rather than actually providing stimulating material about Apple?

Pointing out that Samsung has engaged in widespread lying about the performance of their products is now inconsequential criticisms? LOL. Ethics? Honesty? Who needs those, right?

• Reply 14 of 103
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    To be honest, I may buy one since they are inexpensive, just to play with. I just really hate the aspect ratio, it's fine for a phone but a tablet needs to be 4:3 in my opinion.

As to this report, who cares. I hate fanboys on either side, they all sound like 9 year old boys arguing who has more chest hair or something.
  • Reply 15 of 103
    euphonious wrote: »

Half the articles these days exist to provide red meat to the faithful, rather than useful information about Apple. Who has decided that constantly dredging up fairly inconsequential criticisms of Google or Samsung is a good editorial direction, rather than actually providing stimulating material about Apple?

I love my Apple products, but I don't have to run down Google ten times a day to prove it.

It's click bait for the insecure, immature folks on both sides.

Personally I like both platforms and soon will use a Moto X and iMac, plus iPad and perhaps a N7.
  • Reply 16 of 103
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Wikipedia claims that the Nexus 7 tablet only sold around 7 Million units as of July 2013 and this number is updated, it's based on numbers derived from Androidcommunity.com

• Reply 17 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Personally I like both platforms and soon will use a Moto X and iMac, plus iPad and perhaps a N7.

Cool story, brah. Please also tell us what color your underwear is and what you ate for dinner last night. Someone is trying to bit too hard to appear to be objective.

• Reply 18 of 103
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    Another company they got some but didn't. Lol. I'm loving it.

This is equivalent to a guy claiming to have had sex with a girl but never did. Google claiming the booty. Lol.

I just left Disney World and almost everyone around me was using an apple product in line while we waited. I saw Very few android folks.

In Japan I know most military folks use apple because you can iMessage and FaceTime with people back home.
  • Reply 19 of 103
    mikejones wrote: »
    Cool story, brah. Please also tell us what color your underwear is and what you ate for dinner last night. Someone is trying to bit too hard to appear to be objective.

Stripes and pizza.

No, I am objective, isn't an act. Brah.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    euphonious wrote: »

I'm not a fan of it either, I prefer reading about Google on forums specific to them. These are my favorite English speaking Google related forums; http://www.gforums.net/,http://chromespot.com/ and http://www.chromebookforum.com/. They don't even mention Apple on them except if it's about running a specific task on a Mac. Even the Android forums I frequent have nowhere near the amount of bashing Appleinsider does. It's getting to the point where it's comical, just plain petty.