Reported: MacRack 1U Server

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not my news, just saw the post over at macosx.com forums, figured it was worth spreading.

========================

AS POSTED ON MACOSX.COM

========================

Coming to a 19" rack near you. Rumors are buzzing about a new Macintosh model, yes you heard correctly, for the rack. This new, 19", 1U chassis is set to blow ripples through co-location waves, with prices starting at $899. Compare this to other "low-end" 1U Intel based systems running Linux or Windows, at around $1299.

The lower priced model, brings everything Mac OS X Server provides, while one smart additional piece of software. The "Configurator" which allows for a GUI (browser based) interface for managing the system.

The focus of the system is speed & performance. Although, not expected to be a instant winner, it will open eyes as current Mac consumers start pushing these machines into co-location centers at a significantly lower cost. This allows users who may normally have to splurge for a 1U Linux based Intel box for co-location services, can now purchase a Mac, the platform they love, and at a lower cost. By using the 1U size it also lowers the cost of co-location especially for companies who charge by the rack space.

As these systems feed into the channel, they will be a instant success and will be a driving force for price conscious consumers & businesses, looking for more power at a lower cost.

The new rack model is set for release in January if everything goes as planned. Of course, as expected, these machines, although built for speed not for flash, will still have a little "creativity" on the front so they stand out in the rack farm.

<a href="http://www.macosx.com/showthread.php?threadid=9832"; target="_blank">http://www.macosx.com/showthread.php?threadid=9832</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Laura:

<strong>Not my news, just saw the post over at macosx.com forums, figured it was worth spreading.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you think the poster was credible?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 2 of 20
    There is a real need for this piece of hardware. So why not ?

A friend of mine had to drop his B&W G3 server for a Linux Box because the webfarm hosting his server changed their server room : and he is a real MacManiac (he bused earlier versions of Mac OS X server)

The price seems strange, though...but who thought of the iMac before it was publicly presented.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Total crap. Not going to happen. Fake.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Ok so i compared the prices ...

We have a "windows/linux 1U server" that you can buy today from a bunch of places ... I use a few at work right now (Just linux, no windows for me thanks!) or an apple box that is cheaper, but doesn't exist. And doesn't even have the usual made up specs!

But, hey, I kid because I love . Apple will need to have a hell of a box thats priced at $899. For just a little bit more you can get an awfully nice Sun 1U server. And Sun knows whats going on in the datacenter, as do Sun Administrators (most of 'em anyway) ... Maybe Apple can win on the 'ease of use' front, as they can on the desktop, but if its just a 1U rackmount mac with a speedy G3 or G4 and Mac OSX server ... thats going to do it. Check out "Lights out Management" and all the neat things you can do with a Sun server (administration over serial port, no network needed, etc) ... Well, if it makes apple some money, I'm happy.

As for the [quote] little "creativity" on the front so they stand out in the rack farm <hr></blockquote>

... I hope its a big apple logo in the center that houses a tiny hidden laser, that can destroy Windows servers when detected ... hell, i'd be alone in my colo if we had that
  • Reply 5 of 20
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    God, I hope this true. I dare say the 1U server market is huge but it would make my life sweet for another reason:

I design AV control systems for retail, hotels, cinemas etc. and wherever possible I use Macs as the 'brain' and often multiple video and image servers. A 1U Mac running OSX would be SO good, wiping out the usual corporate anti-Mac bigotry that I face every day.

Vince
  • Reply 6 of 20
    I can confirm that I spoke to an Apple systems engineer last month (face to face) and he "implied" that Apple will in fact ship a 19" rackmount OS X server product VERY SOON.

(wink-wink, nudge-nudge)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    cellscells Posts: 20member
    [quote]Originally posted by vinney57:

<strong>

I design AV control systems for retail, hotels, cinemas etc. and wherever possible I use Macs as the 'brain' and often multiple video and image servers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That sounds intersting. Do you have a website?

-Chris

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: cElls ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 20
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>I can confirm that I spoke to an Apple systems engineer last month (face to face) and he "implied" that Apple will in fact ship a 19" rackmount OS X server product VERY SOON.

(wink-wink, nudge-nudge)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can also confirm that the folks running the OS X Server area at MWNY we being asked about rackmount hardware and their pat answer was to direct the person to someone else in the booth (who they said was a hardware guy). In the hour that I was talking to them atleast four or five people came asking about such a thing... The folks doing the demo seemed very happy that so many people were asking.

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 20
    jutusjutus Posts: 272member
    This question came up at the "meet the VPs" session at WWDC and Rubinstein answered that server hardware issues were being dealt with. The requests were for machines with more than 3 pci slots and for rackmounts.

If Apple does release a 1U, be prepared to be underwhelmed by the non-advertisement of the product. MacOS X Server, in both the current and former (quasi Rhapsody) incarnation have never been pushed too hard. The old Apple network servers that ran AIX weren't spotlighted either.

Apple will invest little into this product and instead let the market determine whether there is a real demand or whether it is just mac users clamoring for everything as per usual.

I really doubt Apple will take OS X Server + new server hardware and run balls to the wall with it. It has always been, more or less, to compliment their consumer machines in large installations, e.g. running a school of iMacs.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Reply to cElls...

I am ashamed to say that I have had a domain name for over two years and still haven't finished the web site. As you can imagine it is now becoming a critical issue with clients. This Christmas holiday is my deadline for getting it up (so to speak), I'll drop you an email in the new year.

Vince
  • Reply 11 of 20
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    [quote]Originally posted by jutus:

<strong>I really doubt Apple will take OS X Server + new server hardware and run balls to the wall with it. It has always been, more or less, to compliment their consumer machines in large installations, e.g. running a school of iMacs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, and that would cannibalise sales of G4 tower servers.

There does seem to be some movement towards X from the tecno geeks, but I don't think it's going to justify a dedicated product.

On the other hand, if it stops Mac shops buying NT servers...
  • Reply 12 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Clive:

<strong>

Right, and that would cannibalise sales of G4 tower servers.

There does seem to be some movement towards X from the tecno geeks, but I don't think it's going to justify a dedicated product.

On the other hand, if it stops Mac shops buying NT servers...</strong><hr></blockquote>

How so?

I think a mac rackmount OS X server makes sense, when pitted against things like the sun cobalt Qube/ Raq. That's for web serving. I'd snag some up in a heartbeat, to complement the Linux raqs running here now, if they were about the same price.

You can keep the Tower servers for workgroups.

Either way, what's killing Apple is the fact that a 733 G4 and Mac OS X server + additional third party RAM, all bought seperately, is helluva cheaper than buying direct from Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I had opportunity last Thursday to buy 3 new Macs:

Two for database serving (Lasso MySQL + FileMaker Pro) and one TiBook (to keep the boss happy).

I bought iMacs for the databases.

The G4 towers are simply too expensive to load up on.

If'n they had a 1U (or 2U) iRack G4/5 thing for 899 or even 1,299 I'd have bought three of them, not just two.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Mmmm.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    My favorite:

[quote] Total crap. Not going to happen. Fake. <hr></blockquote>

Too bad the pricing was off (by alot), but it would seem there exists at least one creditable source in Cupertino (or a psychic).

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: Crusader ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    stepson, for $1000, you can get a crappy Sun Netra series 1U with a 500 MHz USPARC IIe, 128 MB of SDRAM and a 40 GB IDE HDD. You get 100Base-T ethernet and minimal everything.

These are hardly earth shattering specs. These are basically the same specs as in the Blade 100s, which I have firsthand experience with. They are awful.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    This is not funny; this is a fake.

Just buy a Dell, though it will break!

What's the target market for these things? A $900 1U from Apple would make a CRT iMac look like a Cray.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    [quote]Originally posted by speechgod:

<strong>This is not funny; this is a fake.

Just buy a Dell, though it will break!

What's the target market for these things? A $900 1U from Apple would make a CRT iMac look like a Cray.</strong><hr></blockquote>

did you look at the date? 12/01

He was talking about hte Xserve 5 months before it came out.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Yeah, and Scott H was on the money as per usual: [quote] Total Crap. Not going to happen. Fake <hr></blockquote>

• Reply 20 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Just about every U of server was discussed here. This is no insider info at all. A look at the speculated price tells you everything you need to know.

Apple went after a much higher price point with much better features.

Nothing keen about this at all.