Safari 7.0 to bring web notifications to OS X Mavericks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Daniel Eran Dilger, padding out articles since 2005.

Seriously, the 5 year old history of push notifications was deemed necessary for a current news article?

Hire an editor and ditch the superfluous fluff AI.

• Reply 22 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The memory management of Mavericks Safari is so much better on my late 2008 Air than Mountain Lion. Like actually noticeably better.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    crowley wrote: »

Seriously, the 5 year old history of push notifications was deemed necessary for a current news article?

It's informative for me. If you don't like it, just skip it.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    ireland wrote: »
    The memory management of Mavericks Safari is so much better on my late 2008 Air than Mountain Lion. Like actually noticeably better.

Pretty cool. Can't wait to try it out on my 2012 Air.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member

I can see many people liking notifications. I find them distracting and I dislike applications moving to the front, interrupting my work (because they're so much more important than me, I guess). As long as the interruptions can be disabled, there's no harm.

Pushing updates via force-feeding is another thing. That would NOT be cool. It can quickly turn into a major mess.

• Reply 26 of 42

Alright. Can we have this on iOS please, so we don't have to install CNN just for a breaking news?

• Reply 27 of 42
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    First kill RSS, then add the "novel" and proprietary push notifications.
    The RSS subscriptions could have been picked up by a background task and locally added to the notification section just like new mail is added, but then the NSA would have a harder time figuring out who's interested in what...
  • Reply 28 of 42
    japmjapm Posts: 36member

Sooo true.

The RSS implementation was awesome in Safari, there was no reason to take it away.

• Reply 29 of 42
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

He provided the history of Apple's notifications in order to counter Android fanboys' bogus claim that iOS7 copied Android's notifications feature.

• Reply 30 of 42
    japm wrote: »
    Sooo true.

The RSS implementation was awesome in Safari, there was no reason to take it away.

Particularly since it would have been easy to tie it into the Notifications system.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    sjksjk Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Particularly since it would have been easy to tie it into the Notifications system.

The feeder extension optionally supports Notifications and (less intrusively) its toolbar badge displays the new article count.  Even though it only displays article titles it's been a satisfying replacement for Safari's built-in functionality for a few feeds I prefer monitoring directly from the browser.  For the majority of feeds I've always used dedicated OS X and iOS apps feed reader apps.

• Reply 32 of 42
    The IOS 7 multitasking looks almost like the multiple page (also full safari history) using same design.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    japm wrote: »
    Yeah it's tremendously better to manage my giant bookmarks collection in a stupid little sidebar instead of the whole window.
    Then why not simply view them in a whole window?
    Option Command B or menu Bookmarks > View.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    I've got a wild idea! Let the user do it both ways.
    The user can already do it both ways.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Just to clarify, this is not a feature of Safari 7.0; instead it is a new feature of Mavericks' notification system that allows web sites to send notifications. It is listed under the 'Notifications' section on Apple's Mavericks web page and there is nothing about it that involves Safari; in fact it explicitly says that Safari is not required. "In addition, you can now sign up with your favorite websites to get breaking news, sports scores, auction alerts, and more %u2014 even if Safari isn%u2019t running."
  • Reply 36 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregLomow View Post

Just to clarify, this is not a feature of Safari 7.0; instead it is a new feature of Mavericks' notification system that allows web sites to send notifications. It is listed under the 'Notifications' section on Apple's Mavericks web page and there is nothing about it that involves Safari; in fact it explicitly says that Safari is not required. "In addition, you can now sign up with your favorite websites to get breaking news, sports scores, auction alerts, and more %u2014 even if Safari isn%u2019t running."

If that is so, and RSS is not going away, can you see a method to use RSS to drive a notification? 

Thnx

• Reply 37 of 42
    nbiquity wrote: »
    greglomow wrote: »
    If that is so, and RSS is not going away, can you see a method to use RSS to drive a notification? 
    Thnx

I must assume this is a rhetorical question...
    ...obviously, one could write code into the notification system where it, instead of Safari, subscribes to the RSS feed. The notification system and Safari could use IPC or some other mechanism to exchange that information with each other, just as Safari is involved when subscribing to one of the new-fangled notifications.

The only difference, is that RSS was while maybe not the most perfect thing, a standard thing, while this new stuff is tied into Apple's eco system. Apple starts doing what made me hate M$ so much: try to turn the open internet into an environment degraded by proprietary "enhancements". Meanwhile your new notification subscriptions go straight to the NSA, so they likely are notified before you ;)
  • Reply 38 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

Yeah it's tremendously better to manage my giant bookmarks collection in a stupid little sidebar instead of the whole window.

That's so smart.

You can still manage your giant collection in a whole window. Now even without the blue Collections sidebar.

• Reply 39 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

...obviously, one could write code into the notification system where it, instead of Safari, subscribes to the RSS feed. The notification system and Safari could use IPC or some other mechanism to exchange that information with each other, just as Safari is involved when subscribing to one of the new-fangled notifications.

The Notification Center would be a terrible RSS reader if you have more than a few feeds, and checking subscribed feeds is the exact opposite of getting things pushed.

Someone could write a service that takes RSS feeds and pushes them to your Mac.

Quote:

Meanwhile your new notification subscriptions go straight to the NSA

They are probably more likely to know who get the RSS feeds.

• Reply 40 of 42
    jll wrote: »
    rcfa wrote: »

The Notification Center would be a terrible RSS reader if you have more than a few feeds, and checking subscribed feeds is the exact opposite of getting things pushed.

Nobody said anything about the notification center being an RSS reader, it's just about that: being notified that new articles are ready. After all, it's not an e-mail reader, either, yet I see when I get new e-mails and the subject line and the first few lines. So it's about as well or as badly suited to let me know about new e-mails as it is for letting me know about new RSS article.

Also, E-mail isn't pushed, either. Some may (iCloud), but certainly not POP, and random third party e-mail servers. What obviously must be happening is that Apple's Message framework somehow checks for e-mails in the background and then pushes the notifications. So really nothing much different than would be needed for RSS. Heck, there was a time when Mall could be used as an RSS reader, and so that would have been working in one go: just tag the resulting notifications differently such as to allow for differentiating between RSS and E-mail messages.

The biggest issue I have with Apple's latest software strategy is that it's app centric, rather than document centric, things get split up, rather than unified. Whatever happend with concepts like "global inbox", or "unified time management" (splitting calendar and todo/reminder items into different apps, WTF?) ?
    jll wrote: »
    Someone could write a service that takes RSS feeds and pushes them to your Mac.

Yes, could. Someone also could write a Finder replacement, or a Mail.app replacement, or an iWork replacement. Fact however is, that these third party solutions will never as well integrated as something Apple does, because what Apple does becomes a platform standard that all sorts of third party developers can adopt and tie into. Third party solutions always compete with each other, and thus things get inconsistent, hence I prefer infrastructure type things to be done by Apple.