Strategy Analytics finds millions of Android tablets, rewrites iPad history

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79

These non iPad tablets must all be in restrooms or something. I have been in several restaurants that use tablets for ordering, check payment, etc. and all have been iPads. When I travel, and that includes internationally, I must see at least 10 to 1 iPads versus anything else. I do know people with the Kindle tablet, but they use it for reading, though the regular Kindle would be better for that. A new larger iPad, an iPad mini retina, and a new lower priced iPad mini first generation, will likely swamp holiday sales. (And yes, I have heard the rumors the retina mini may be delayed). With the advent of the new lower cost iPhone, I have been set to wondering if Apple might do the same with the mini? That is, they may launch a plastic, lower specter device, but also retina, and that is going to be the early 2014 mini. 

• Reply 22 of 79
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Stop being an child just because you can't think of interesting anything to say.

You're just like the guy from CNET who was so angry about an opportunity to bat questions to SJ that he threw a fit and wrote a series of personal attacks. 

I'm not angry. I'm just pointing out to other readers that you're often economical with the truth. I'm sorry if you consider that to be a personal attack but the facts speak for themselves.

• Reply 23 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Yet another coolaid overdose article. IDC numbers may not be 100% accurate, but they are close. Fact is the ipad is losing chunks of market shares worldwide over cheap android tablets. Same thing goes for iphones. Is not very apparent in developed counties.  

On the ipad side, Apple is doing better than the on the phone side in terms of holding its market shares. There is nothing Apple can do at the $99 smartphone segments and $99 tablet segments. That being said, lets hope Apple will be able establish market shares in mid-range segments. Those developped countries mid-range segments will allow Apple to be position at the high end in emerging markets.
    How do you know IDC's numbers are accurate? I don't care if Tim Cook references them in earnings calls or keynotes. As far as I'm concerned the only accurate numbers are those filed with regulatory agencies.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member

Huh.  Since Sammy is "cheating" on benchmarks maybe their tablets are spoofing as iPads.

• Reply 25 of 79
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

Quote:

Originally Posted by currentinterest View Post

These non iPad tablets must all be in restrooms or something. I have been in several restaurants that use tablets for ordering, check payment, etc. and all have been iPads. When I travel, and that includes internationally, I must see at least 10 to 1 iPads versus anything else. I do know people with the Kindle tablet, but they use it for reading, though the regular Kindle would be better for that. A new larger iPad, an iPad mini retina, and a new lower priced iPad mini first generation, will likely swamp holiday sales. (And yes, I have heard the rumors the retina mini may be delayed). With the advent of the new lower cost iPhone, I have been set to wondering if Apple might do the same with the mini? That is, they may launch a plastic, lower specter device, but also retina, and that is going to be the early 2014 mini. 

I think an "iPad mini lite" would be a great idea.  Get the price down to, say, $199.  And leave the "Pro" mini at $329.

• Reply 26 of 79
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member

Haha, this sounds like next year, Strategy Analytics will have another new non-iPad rubric: Legal Pads. Hundreds of millions of them will diminish apple pad marketshare to a rounding error! image

• Reply 27 of 79
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I think an "iPad mini lite" would be a great idea.  Get the price down to, say, $199.  And leave the "Pro" mini at $329.

it exists today. it's called the iPod touch. and i bet the price drops to $199 or less as part of the big release this Fall.

• Reply 28 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    richl wrote: »
    I'm not angry. I'm just pointing out to other readers that you're often economical with the truth. I'm sorry if you consider that to be a personal attack but the facts speak for themselves.

This nit you are picking pales in significance when you consider the work he's been doing busting Strategy Analytics. When both Gruber and Elmer-DeWitt can use your story on their respective websites, you can be forgiven for using the word "interview" when you might better have said "questioned." In other words, no big deal to this reader.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    I like to look at statcounter since it has a worldwide view of tablets as well as a regional view.
    Looking at iOS vs Android for the World and comparing December 2012 to June 2013 (1st 2 quarters), iOS went from 3.28 to 4.16% (or a gain of .88%). Android went from .86% to 1.39% (or a gain of .53%). So if android is outselling iPad 3 to 1 and ipad grown is 50% more than android, the use of android for web browsing would have to be 1/5th that of an iPad.

Looking at China (Where most white tablets originate and are sold) - iOS went from 1.25% to 1.76% (gain of .51%) and android went from .3 to .5 or a gain of .2%. So Apple out grew Android by an even larger amount.

Looks like strategic analytics is pretty worthless.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

China, India, latin america. Also commercial used. My brother in law is working for a company that use tablets in restrooms and to sell a product, just like the ipads in Apple store. They are using white box tablets and Android because both can be modify for there needs. We are talking a small local company, they are still making over 100 000 per year. The "other" market share is compose of a lot of used nobody thinks of.

no doubt there are a lot of total crap cheap white box kinda-android tablets being cranked out in the developing world for those large neo-consumer markets. we rarely see them in the first world (on Amazon with some previously unheard of brand name). but no one has any way of counting their production or sales. and they are not part of the Google ecosystem at all. they might as well be a completely different OS in reality.

as to anonymous generic tablets in taxis and kiosks etc., running a basic version of android, yes there will be a large volume of sales of those in business services, but not in the consumer market.

the distinction is that smartphones, even for restricted business use, are inherently consumer products - personal communication devices. tablets are not. large numbers will merely be limited use smart displays.

accurate reporting of "market share" stats would take all these factors into account. there is not a single "market." none of these firms - IDC and all the rest - do that. and the web pundits literally cannot think for themselves.

• Reply 31 of 79
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    It does appear that there exists a consortium of some sort that is collaborating to help everyone other than Apple to combat the American companies simple, truthful, high quality products that people actually want.

Note to others:

If you want to compete, stop with the lying. Just make the best products you can in categories you can compete in. People will buy them. Just be sure you support it for the long term. No "Plays for Sure" trauma.

And leave the rest well enough alone. The world doesn't need any more lies, greed, and stolen IP.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Wow, Android dominates the tablet market in Q2? Really? Well, Apple has a new products to announce and they have a lot of deals on the table. Isn't LA Unified School district going to be spending around $600 Mil outfitting all of their K-12 schools? There's around 700,000 kids that will be getting iPads over the next 6 months to a year. This a trend that is happening.

With the various new models that Apple has waiting to come out, I'm sure Apple will recapture a lot of market share and profits from them.

Um... I think you may have missed the part where none of that is actually true...

Android isn't even close to parity with iOS tablets.

It's a fabrication.  And one very well exposed in this article.

• Reply 33 of 79
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

Must be those North Korean Android tablets.  Which would explain why they don't show up in weblogs as well... 

• Reply 34 of 79
    disturbiadisturbia Posts: 563member

That alibaba.com is so funny! LOL

Another one ....

http://www.majordojo.com/2011/07/misleading-googles-statistics.php

See how google takes shortcuts!!

• Reply 35 of 79
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

According to some rumors, they will build mini's using the same type of shells used in the new iphone 5C. So color options using plastic cases.

• Reply 36 of 79
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So where are all these white box tablets? China?

Actually these white box tablets do exist, i actually saw one and touched it, my in-laws went to one of those time share things and were told they would get an android table for their time. Yeah they got one, and I could not tell you who made it, it look like trash and it had Android 1.2 running on it and this was last year. Could not get it to authorize with google store and it would disconnect from their Wifit all the time, got all kind of security error when trying to connect to a website.

It looks like a fair number of these things are being produce as freebies and give away items. I can tell you I never seen any of them being sold somewhere. Hell they are not even being sold on ebay or such. 11M were made you think they would show up somewhere being sold.

• Reply 37 of 79
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceek74 View Post

Huh.  Since Sammy is "cheating" on benchmarks maybe their tablets are spoofing as iPads.

Ha, yeah, they probably forgot to not copy that part.

• Reply 38 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How do you know IDC's numbers are accurate? I don't care if Tim Cook references them in earnings calls or keynotes. As far as I'm concerned the only accurate numbers are those filed with regulatory agencies.

If the IDC's numbers aren't accurate yet Tim Cook knowingly quotes them anyway, then it would dishonest in the view of some AI posters, right?

The takeaway then would be that the IDC's numbers are accurate enough as far as Apple is concerned. Or would that not be the case?
  • Reply 39 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    According to some rumors, they will build mini's using the same type of shells used in the new iphone 5C. So color options using plastic cases.

Interesting. URL?
  • Reply 40 of 79
    [quote name="Disturbia" url="/t/158804/strategy-analytics-finds-millions-of-android-tablets-rewrites-ipad-history/30#post_2371537"]That alibaba.com is so funny! LOL

Another one ....

[URL=http://www.majordojo.com/2011/07/misleading-googles-statistics.php]http://www.majordojo.com/2011/07/misleading-googles-statistics.php[/URL]

[URL=http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/29174/]
    [/URL]

See how google takes shortcuts!!
    [/quote

]Now, if you would compare like with like... You kow, Android to iOS and the google suite of applications to Facebook, etc., your comparison would be valid.

Facebook is an application. Not an OS. Equating their user base with a firm whose user base includes both an application environment and an OS. Facebook users come from users of all the OS systems, smartphones, tablets, browsers, etc. Android only from Android. But Google mail and their other application suites come from the same diverse user groups as Facebook.

So, please, if you want to make valid comparisons, compare Google's Android to the other OSs or their apps to other apps. Don't commingle.