Apple now offering refurbished Apple TV for $75

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The Apple TV set-top box may be a bit more attractive to some buyers, as a refurbished version of the device is now available direct from Apple for just $75, knocking 25 percent off the price of a new model.

The price drop could reflect Apple's reaction to Google's salvo against the Apple TV, which currently rules the roost among streaming devices. The refurbished model is now just over twice the price of Google's Chromecast, but it also comes with a 1-year Apple warranty and a much wider feature set than Google's streaming device.

Most recently, Apple added iTunes music purchasing to its set-top box, and a number of video apps have added AirPlay streaming capabilities over the last few months. Also, users may soon be able to use a touch to configure option to automatically set up their Apple TV devices in the near future.

Inside, the refurbished model has an Apple A5 processor, and it is compatible with high-definition televisions with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz. It can be purchased directly from Apple, with the refurbished device shipping within 24 hours. Depending on a customer's location, it may also be available for in-store pickup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Time to make a dongle sized version to compete against Chromecast. I'd like to see an AppleTV for $35.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    This move probably has more to do with Apple bringing out a new model soon than it has to do with the Chromecast.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Time to make a dongle sized version to compete against Chromecast. I'd like to see an AppleTV for $35.

While I understand the fact that a lower price point, the Chromecast is not quite an Apple TV yet. So thinking that a $79 new price point for the next Apple TV is a good start.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    AppleTV does much more than a Chromecast. You won't see an AppleTV for $35.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    $75 is pretty good for refurbished. Even tho I don't see the $99 price for a brand new AppleTV a problem for consumers! I'd still buy it brand new over refurbished! What's an extra $25!?

I also don't see chromcast as being a threat to AppleTV
  • Reply 6 of 33
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Chromecast will, very soon. A dev has already developed an app to mirror photos & vids from your phone/tablet to the screen. He just can't distribute it yet because the SDK is a preview version. Plus Chromecast is compatible (or will be) with every service out there aside from iTunes. That includes Google Play, Youtube, Vimeo, Netflix, HBO GO and probably Hulu Plus. Aereo TV has long been saying they will come to Android devices by summer, so it's not a stretch to think that they'll also incorporate Chromecast into both Android and Apple versions of apps/whatever.

Personally, I bought Chromecast, received it yesterday. Setup took 2 minutes, I was watching youtube & Netflix on my 51" HDTV only 5 minutes after opening the box.

I still love my Apple TV, but I plan to purchase 3 more Chromecast(s), one for each TV in my home. At $35, it's an easy solution for me because my family is cutting the cord when Aereo arrives in Tampa this fall. Plus the 3 months Netflix credit made it a no-brainer. iTunes has a larger library than Google Play, of this I have no doubt.

TL;DR:

Chromecast will probably offer the same functionality of Apple TV in the near future or devs will develop ways to make the product "complete." It's an inexpensive option to stream from iOS or Android devices and for someone cutting the cord but wanting to save cash, it's brilliant. Just my .02, as someone who owns Chromecast and Apple TV.

• Reply 7 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    AppleTV Express?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    starbird73 wrote: »
    While I understand the fact that a lower price point, the Chromecast is not quite an Apple TV yet. So thinking that a $79 new price point for the next Apple TV is a good start.

That's a refurbished price, not their new selling price.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    AppleTV Express?

Yes!...Or AppleTV mini?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    donschmidt wrote: »
    $75 is pretty good for refurbished. Even tho I don't see the $99 price for a brand new AppleTV a problem for consumers! I'd still buy it brand new over refurbished! What's an extra $25!?

The open API and low price definitely makes it a direct competitor and a huge threat. Apple will have to respond in a big way to this.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    gustav wrote: »
    AppleTV does much more than a Chromecast. You won't see an AppleTV for $35.

Actually, we don't know the full extent of this device's capabilities yet. The open API is impressive.
  • Reply 12 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This move probably has more to do with Apple bringing out a new model soon than it has to do with the Chromecast.

This is what I'm hoping!

• Reply 13 of 33

When I go & check for the new version is says "your apple tv is up to date".  I thought a new version is out

• Reply 14 of 33
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member

Sweet - I just broke my Apple TV (note to other users, don't put it on top of your DirecTV box in a small space, since it doesn't seem to like excess heat!) and was planning on replacing it soon.

• Reply 15 of 33
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Actually, we don't know the full extent of this device's capabilities yet. The open API is impressive.

I think that's the big power of Chromecast- that it does so little and doesn't take control and define what it does do.

A big part of the lackluster performance (or failure, if you must) of Google TV isn't the product itself, its that content providers refuse to get on board.  No way no how do they want internet content to find its way onto a TV and their locked down content distribution systems.

Chromecast kind of says fine, we won't have any defined content providers, you can just stream what you want off the internet onto your TV.

Netflix has already got on board because it fits their model.  Content providers now have the shoe on the other foot... If they don't get on board there's a good chance their viewers will have an easy way to simply bypass them.

Hulu is a good example...  They give free stuff away on the internet, but not on their TV distribution (you need to pay for Hulu Plus to get it).  Now their own system could be bypassed, and reports have it they are working hard to get a system on board Chromecast that works for both Google and Hulu.  The more people get on board, the more it is going to put pressure on those not on board.

For better or worse this could do to the networks what Google did to the newspaper industry.

If Apple TV's intent was to put in place an elegant UI, and then use that to deliver networks' locked down content while taking an 'Apple cut' of that business- then its not a good thing for Apple TV's model.

I just noticed Apple TV has an HDMI port...  I'm half tempted to go out and buy both an Apple TV and Chromecast and plug the Chromecast into the Apple TV.  Would that be like 'crossing the beams?'

• Reply 16 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    donschmidt wrote: »

That's a great price and it's $10 cheaper than it was the last time I checked about 2 months ago. $25 does sound like much of a savings but if one orders 2-3 it adds up.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    They should just give them away for free. All the profit is made in content purchases anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    frood wrote: »
    I think that's the big power of Chromecast- that it does so little and doesn't take control and define what it does do.

A big part of the lackluster performance (or failure, if you must) of Google TV isn't the product itself, its that content providers refuse to get on board.  No way no how do they want internet content to find its way onto a TV and their locked down content distribution systems.

Chromecast kind of says fine, we won't have any defined content providers, you can just stream what you want off the internet onto your TV.

Netflix has already got on board because it fits their model.  Content providers now have the shoe on the other foot... If they don't get on board there's a good chance their viewers will have an easy way to simply bypass them.

Hulu is a good example...  They give free stuff away on the internet, but not on their TV distribution (you need to pay for Hulu Plus to get it).  Now their own system could be bypassed, and reports have it they are working hard to get a system on board Chromecast that works for both Google and Hulu.  The more people get on board, the more it is going to put pressure on those not on board.

For better or worse this could do to the networks what Google did to the newspaper industry.

Forbes came up with the same impression, along with some evidence of Google setting up subscription services for the providers such as HBO.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/07/30/source-chromecast-store-may-bundle-content-from-streaming-partners-into-one-package/
  • Reply 19 of 33
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Apple doesn't "react" to competitors. Apple always releases refurbs at a lower price.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

If Apple TV's intent was to put in place an elegant UI, and then use that to deliver networks' locked down content while taking an 'Apple cut' of that business- then its not a good thing for Apple TV's model.

...some very good points.  But strategically speaking, Apple can (&/or already knows how to) respond to this.  A few things could happen to the benefit of Apple and consumers.  If Chromecast appears to be successful, content providers/networks would be more willing to sign a deal with Apple fearing napster-like evolution.  Or Apple could release an ATV dongle at a lowered cost.  Or Apple could revolutionize their AirPlay feature to provide faster streaming/processing video/audio to provide a better user experience than "chromecast".

Just remember the motive of Google in all of this.  There's room for Google and Apple in this world.  Probability of Google to fail is greater as they continue to spend on "loss leaders" just to disrupt, cripple and maintain control of search/ad.  Apple disrupts but on a whole nuther level.