iOS 7 Control Center-like Android app draws complaints from Apple, but returns to Google Play

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

I always figured this was a joke app.  I'm sure it works, but I looked at it as a "Hey, here's Apple's new control center but with more options and it's even customizable" type jab.  Android users got a chuckle and proceeded not to use it.  Hearing that the dev worked to get it back into the Play Store signals that he might actually care about the app.  I'm surprised to learn that.

This aspect of the Android universe feels very reminiscent of all the Linux/X11 window manager skinning that was big circa 1995-2005.  College kids recreating every commercial UI they could find for various reasons: sticking it to "the man", learning exercise, jokes, fame, whatever.

I guess it makes sense given that Android is the mobile incarnation of Linux.  But it's really not as interesting (in the subversive sense) given that Google controls it rather than a loose-knit group of software developers (Torvalds, Cox, etc).  Let's stick it to big commercial technology companies like Apple and Microsoft (but yet have our work benefit another one).

• Reply 42 of 46
    The functionality of iOS7 control center is a concept ripped directly from Android. I find it humorous that so many of the posters do not simply acknowledge that fact. The fact that apple has incorporated that interface is not a reason for debate, they are playing catch up with the JB community and Android. For that I am happy, it was very annoying that it required 6 steps to enable/disable wifi.

Each platform has pro and cons and most of the OS's have stolen something from someone. All you need to do is take a look at both Windows and OSX for a clear example. When developers see something they like it often brings convergence of features.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    kalltkallt Posts: 13member

I find it very difficult to argue that Apple's Control Center is protected by copyright at all. It is by no means original enough to attract protection, not even the icons. And certainly not the arrangement of the icons. This is arrogance, pure and simple.

• Reply 44 of 46
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah yes, this argument was expected. A variation of the "everyone copies from everyone so how dare Apple sue" argument. Apparently Google agreed with Apple in taking it down. Or did you miss that part?

Its SOP for Google, not so much them agreeing with Apple.  If anyone files a copyright infringement on the play store, youtube, wherever... Google removes it.

Look at the App....  I'd say "yep, that is a blatent copy of what Apple did"

Look at iOS7 with many Apple users are gushing over its elegance.  Look at Android holo light.  I'd say "yep, that is a blatent copy of what Google did"

The only difference is Apple actually copyrights (or even patents) pretty damn basic things and claims these things are amazing.

I think Google's basic stance on Apple copying holo light is 'meh, so what?'

I will admit that I generally fall into the 'meh, so what category'

I don't think that Apple ui in this case is either particularly innovative or amazing.

I don't think Apple copying the holo light ui is a big deal either.

That's just my opinion.  Everyone is welcome to their own.  But at least I'm consistent. The oddity I usually point out here is that many of the pro Apple posters here will change their views depending on who is doing the copying.

Some unknown developer (not even Google) blatantly copies a relatively minor Apple feature, which almost no Android users download.  MAJOR COPYING CRISIS!!!!

Apple blatantly copies Androids entire holo light UI?   *crickets*   Well, they *did* move the menus to the bottom.

• Reply 45 of 46
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

Since all of iOS7 is basically a copy of Android holo light I'd think Apple would tread carefully here.

Even one of the local Apple spinners in one of his weekly rants could only come up something along the lines of 'Well it may look like Android, but its completely different because it has menus on the *bottom* instead of on the *top*'    Revolutionary.

Either way who really cares, let Android users have a UI that looks similar if thats what they prefer... most of the functionality was borrowed from stock Android anyway.  I hope Google lets Apple users keep their holo UI if that's what Apple users prefer too.

Exactly! The iOS development team lifted all their design inspiration from future versions of Android. That's why iOS 7 is a cleaner, more considered design than current versions of Android. It's from the future!

And here we were thinking the original Macbook Air was an engineering achievement... turns out it was nothing but a poor imitation of Ultrabooks from 2015.

But seriously any similarities between iOS 7 and the third-party android skin are tangential at best. What are you judging this on, colour palette? The changes to usability run deep in iOS 7. Things like parallax wallpapers are not just there for show, but impart functionality (like improving legibility of finer text against busy backgrounds).

• Reply 46 of 46
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    rjc999 wrote: »
    Jessi, The history of who came up with the quick-settings overlay is Android had it first. Period. Fact. End of Story. In fact, they had it in two different ways: A persistent homescreen widget, and a pull-down.  Way before iOS7, and before iOS6 even. The homescreen "Power Control" widget, all the way back to Android Gingerbread, allowed you to change brightness, wifi, gps, sync settings, and bluetooth with one touch. The pull-down was added for Jellybean.

Be careful what you call FACT... because most of your's are wrong.

1) November 16th, 2008 - SBSettings v1 on iOS 4 is released. Multiple jailbreaker-devs add even more functionality.

2) June 9th, 2010 - Designer of notifications for Palm's WebOS hired by Apple
    - Palm launched WebOS in January 2009
    - Android Widgets: 30 April 2009
    - Android Push notifications and assorted other functionality like BlueTooth, etc - Froyo Version 2.2-2.2.3 release: 20 May 2010**. It was on this date that Android arguably became usable by the general populace. Considering that over 30% of mobile devices sold are still using (stuck!) on it.

** Also please note that an NC and/or easy access to settings was imparitive for all of these devices, because their battery life was less (much less!) than steller if everything was turned on. It was a clever move by the Android team to do something "pro-active" about this problem that persists to this day.

3) June 03, 2011 - Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ

- While yes, Peter Haja's MobileNotifier came after Android's notification center and was designed to replicate it, please read the GitHub page for proper documentation of the license and Creative Commons copyrights.

Also, further research turns up these interesting footnoted facts on Wikipedia:
    MobileNotifier is a free open-source alert messaging system, written by Peter Hajas, for jailbroken iOS devices including iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, for iOS 4.0 and above that. Mobile Notifier was written as a reproduction of Android notifications.[1][2] It is currently released under the BSD License.[3] The lead developer, Peter Hajas, left to work for Apple [4] but the project continues on.
    The software hooks into the operating system to replace the built-in modal notification user interface,[5] and maintains a queue of unread messages for the user.
    As of late May 2011, MobileNotifier has had over 230,000 downloads.[6]
    MobileNotifier was developed in conjunction with the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.[7]

This is the difference between "shooting from the hip with facts". Research will often repay it's time and effort in knowledge.

The rest of your post was just teen angst and an anarchistic ranting against authority AKA "Giving it to "The Man". Been there. Done that. Still have the T-Shirt... 40 years ago!*