'Jobs' featurette offers closer glimpse at the upcoming movie

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A newly released featurette offers a quick look at the upcoming film "Jobs," including new footage and interviews with the movie's stars.

The above featurette was released on Wednesday in promotion of the upcoming film, starring Ashton Kutcher as Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The official website for the movie also launched this week at jobsthefilm.com.

"Jobs" will be released in theaters everywhere on Friday, Aug. 16. Sneak previews of the film shown earlier this year earned mixed reviews, while Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said he felt Jobs would be ""a little offended and embarrassed by it" if he were still alive.

acidjobskutch

In addition to Kutcher as Jobs, the film also features actors Josh Gad as Wozniak, as well as Dermot Mulroney, Lukas Haas, J.K. Simmons, Matthew Modine, and James Woods. It was directed by Joshua Michael Stern, whose credits also include the 2008 film "Swing Vote" starring Kevin Costner.

"Jobs" is not to be confused with Sony Pictures Entertainment's upcoming film about the late Apple co-founder, which will be written by Academy Award winning screenwriter Aaron Sorkin. Sorkin won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay in 2011 for the film "The Social Network," a semi-biographical take on Mark Zuckerberg and the founding of Facebook.

In an interview last year, Sorkin said his take on Jobs would be a "painting," not a photograph. He also said that the entire film will consist of three scenes, each about a half-hour in length, that will take place before the onstage introductions of the Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Hmm... looks interesting.
  • Reply 2 of 25

I think it looks good! 

You know there are a lot of negative people on these boards, but I think AK and crew really worked hard on this! :)

• Reply 3 of 25
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

You know there are a lot of negative people on these boards, but I think AK and crew really worked hard on this! :)

People "work hard" on plenty of terrible things. Effort != quality.

• Reply 4 of 25
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I think it is promising.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In an interview last year, Sorkin said his take on Jobs would be a "painting," not a photograph. He also said that the entire film will consist of three scenes, each about a half-hour in length, that will take place before the onstage introductions of the Mac, NeXT, and the iPod.

Hm, a "painting" not a photograph.  Think about that.  A photograph is the truth, a painting is an artists interpretation of the truth.  Sounds like he's admitting it's going to be made up lies or at least exaggerations about Jobs.

• Reply 6 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I think people are just biased (me included) because it's Ashton Kutcher who has a reputation as a light-weight and not very serious actor.

It doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good though. Probably best to, you know ... actually see it before we judge it.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Hm, a "painting" not a photograph.  Think about that.  A photograph is the truth, a painting is an artists interpretation of the truth.  Sounds like he's admitting it's going to be made up lies or at least exaggerations about Jobs.

Well all movies, about anything no matter how they try are going to be "paintings" by that definition.  

• Reply 8 of 25
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

This is the definition of "reaching." You just made me laugh. 

• Reply 9 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

People "work hard" on plenty of terrible things. Effort != quality.

Agreed. I just meant, it seems, that people like AK, Brad Pitt, Mick Jagger, Tom Cruise, Paul McCartney, Stevo...get really "dragged over the coals" for every project they are involved in! 

It just comes across as the critics are jealous. That's all.

• Reply 10 of 25
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Just understand that some of it didn't happen exactly the way it's portrayed in the movie, once you get passed that, then enjoy yourself. I don't think I'm going to pay to watch it in a movie theater.   I think this is wait until it's out on HBO or DVD.  I'm sure it has its moments.

• Reply 11 of 25
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Why would neither movie show the iPhone?
  • Reply 12 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Why would neither movie show the iPhone?

They said in the featurette (is that even a real word) that it's done up until the iPod announcement.

• Reply 13 of 25
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

They said in the featurette (is that even a real word)

If people are using it regularly, yes, it is a word. What is or is not a word is not ordained by the holy grammarians but by the users of the language. This one dates to 1940.

• Reply 14 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post

If people are using it regularly, yes, it is a word. What is or is not a word is not ordained by the holy grammarians but by the users of the language. This one dates to 1940.

It wasn't in the spell checker, that's why.  I know it's a word. I was just joking.

Yeah, and some people use the word Ax, as in Can I ax you a question.

• Reply 15 of 25
    drblank wrote: »
    They said in the featurette (is that even a real word) that it's done up until the iPod announcement.

I know, I got that. But the introduction of the iPod was meh, it was in Town Hall in Apple. The only people there were press and staff, and it wasn't that revolutionary. The iPhone changed the world and the reactions of the crowd at Macworld was astounding. I find it hard to watch knowing Steve only has a few years after. It was the perfect presentation.
  • Reply 16 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I know, I got that. But the introduction of the iPod was meh, it was in Town Hall in Apple. The only people there were press and staff, and it wasn't that revolutionary. The iPhone changed the world and the reactions of the crowd at Macworld was astounding. I find it hard to watch knowing Steve only has a few years after. It was the perfect presentation.

Personally, it probably would have been better, but I don't think they are going to change it....

I thought there was another studio working on another version.

• Reply 17 of 25
    They are [I]both[/I] ending with the iPod.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Movie-of-the-week quality at theatre prices.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Probably best to, you know ... actually see it before we judge it.

That's just crazy talk. This is the internet where we shout first and think later... or... actually... we don't think.

• Reply 20 of 25
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

As per my previous postings in previous threads, I was willing to give this movie the benefit of the doubt and I thought it was unfair for people to judge it before they had seen it.

I had read an interview with Kutcher in which he went into all this detail about how he studied Jobs' voice in both formal and informal situations and how he also studied Jobs' supposedly unique walk, which impressed me and gave me hope.   It looked like he took the role seriously.

But when I watch the trailer that's playing on TV and the video segment above, I only hear Kutcher's usual voice, I see nothing unique about his walk and while most of the makeup looks good, the makeup he's wearing in the iPhone introduction segment looks like a bad Saturday Night Live makeup, which is purposely meant to look funny.

It's hard to tell from the trailer, which might purposely feature the recognizable moments, but it looks like this film might simply be a "Steve's Greatest Hits" approach, rather than providing any real insight into the guy.

So I'm starting to be very wary.