How Do I Transfer Files From My iBook To My New iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I believe there is a thing called "target mode"? I have documents I'd like to transfer to my iMac. I have a firewire cable. Also, can I have my iBook appear on my iMac desktop? Thank you. (My 17" Superdrive iMac arrives tomorrow!).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    You can connect the two computers together using a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable, hold down the T key and start up the iMac until a firewire icon appears. The iMacs hard drive should then appear on the iBook, allowing you to copy files across.

Alternatively, you could connect the two computers together using a standard ethernet cable (on newer Macs, I don't think a cross over cable is required) and create a mini network.

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Thanks RodUK. Of course I want to go the other way, copy files from the iBook to the iMac. (perhaps you misstated your explanation). I have an iPod firewire cable.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rodukroduk Posts: 706member
    With your iMacs hard drive on your iBooks desktop, you can then copy files from the iBook to the iMac.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Thanks RodUK. Of course I want to go the other way, copy files from the iBook to the iMac. (perhaps you misstated your explanation). I have an iPod firewire cable.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It doesn't really matter which direction it goes in, just make sure you copy the files where you want them to go. Any fw cable will work.

Make sure you unmount the target computer's disk after you are done (just like you would any other disk) then you can just turn it off or restart it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks everyone!