WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Citing unnamed sources, The Wall Street Journal reported early Thursday that Apple is getting ready for mass production of a next-generation Retina display-toting iPad mini set to launch in the fourth quarter.

iPad mini

According to the WSJ sources, Apple is working with Asian suppliers on an iPad mini with "high-resolution 'retina' display" sourced from rival manufacturer Samsung, as well as other screen makers.

The publication said component makers were told Apple had originally planned to use displays from Sharp and LG Display, but added Samsung to the supplier list to ensure adequate supply of the the alleged next-gen tablet. For reference, LG and AU Optronics supply the non-Retina panels used in the current iPad mini.

While details on the supposed device are slim, the second-generation mini is thought to carry over the form factor from the current model. Apple is, however, "contemplating" a variety of color offerings for the back covers, which as of now are only available in black and silver. Sources said to expect the new 7.9-inch device some time in the fourth quarter of 2013.

Rumors regarding a possible 'iPad mini 2' launch have been all over the map, with some agreeing with the Journal's fourth quarter debut, while others don't see a release happening until 2014. Most recently, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple is likely to introduce two new versions of the tablet, a low-cost non-Retina model and a premium Retina iteration, in March or April of next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 139
    oao7oao7 Posts: 1member
    I wonder if the price will vary with the new screen
  • Reply 2 of 139

So, the WSJ says this will happen in the 4Q so they can write in the 4Q that Apple failed to ship it on time. I'll bet they have the second story already set in print.

• Reply 3 of 139
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

This is not happening, unless they get the IGZO yield they want.

Apple has A6-based iPad mini without Retina display in the works

• Reply 4 of 139
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Where is Solipsism when you need him? Geez, I miss the guy!

AFAIK, that display needs a CPU/GPU that can power this, and that model is still on the drawing board, expected to be available in 2014.
  • Reply 5 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Could this be a controlled leak by Apple to knock down the non-retina rumors? Oh how I'd love it if 9to5Mac was wrong. :D
  • Reply 6 of 139
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Where is Solipsism when you need him? Geez, I miss the guy!

AFAIK, that display needs a CPU/GPU that can power this, and that model is still on the drawing board, expected to be available in 2014.

CPU/GPU that can power this out there for almost a year, in iPad 4.

• Reply 7 of 139
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

This is not happening, unless they get the IGZO yield they want.

Apple has A6-based iPad mini without Retina display in the works

Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.

• Reply 8 of 139
    So, the WSJ says this will happen in the 4Q so they can write in the 4Q that Apple failed to ship it on time. I'll bet they have the second story already set in print.
    Hmm...because its the WSJ it seems more like a controlled leak by Apple. When WSJ says "people familiar with the matter", isn't that basically Apple? Plus the fact this story came out after 9to5Mac's story leads me to believe Apple wants to squash these rumors.

Honestly anyone who thinks Apple's just fine this holiday quarter without a retina mini is living in lala land. The new Nexus 7 is getting great reviews. Rumors are the new Kindles will have better displays and some rumors claim they will be faster than the Nexus 7. A retina mini, especially one that comes in colors, would blow them all away IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.

If the battery life won't suffer, sure. But if it will, then Apple knows what's more practical for users. 

• Reply 10 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The new Nexus 7 is getting great reviews. 

Except for the battery life.

• Reply 11 of 139
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

CPU/GPU that can power this out there for almost a year, in iPad 4.

I think CPU/GPU could also come from iPad3.  A5X

• Reply 12 of 139

Quote:

The new Nexus 7 is getting great reviews. Rumors are the new Kindles will have better displays and some rumors claim they will be faster than the Nexus 7. A retina mini, especially one that comes in colors, would blow them all away IMO.

Last year we had similar excitement when the Nexus 7 and and Kindle Fire came out.  Its like Deja Vu.. all over again.

• Reply 13 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

Last year we had similar excitement when the Nexus 7 and and Kindle Fire came out.  Its like Deja Vu.. all over again.

Exactly. People should be smarter by now.

• Reply 14 of 139
    matrix07 wrote: »
    But battery life not stopping it from getting good reviews. Honesty I haven't come across a bad review yet. I think people would be OK with slightly less battery life in exchange for retina display. For sure if Apple continues to sell the non-retina version.
  • Reply 15 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

The new Nexus 7 advertises 9 Hr of battery life, in reality its more like 6. If Apple did this you know we would have a "battery-gate" and the media would go nuts.  But if Google does this, nothing....  instead we get "great price!"

• Reply 16 of 139
    Exactly. People should be smarter by now.
    ""people familiar with the matter" sure sounds like a controlled leak to me. Basically sounds like Apple saying "you can report this but can't say it came from us". I don't think it's a coincidence this story came out the same day 9to5Mac ran their story (which plenty of other sites picked up).
  • Reply 17 of 139

Quote:

But battery life not stopping it from getting good reviews. Honesty I haven't come across a bad review yet. I think people would be OK with slightly less battery life in exchange for retina display. For sure if Apple continues to sell the non-retina version.

If you consider "only 6 hours" is 'slightly less' then sure. I don't know where you read this "great review" (maybe from The Verge ha ha ha) but the first one I read is from Walt Mossberg and it's like this: "great screen, lousy battery life". Can you call that "great review"?

• Reply 18 of 139

Quote:

to be honest with you, I think many people would be OK with ANYTHING in exchange for a lower price.  Just wait till the new Kindle Fire pricing is announced undercutting the Nexus 7 in price, just like they did last year.   Deja Vu. 

• Reply 19 of 139

Quote:

""people familiar with the matter" sure sounds like a controlled leak to me. Basically sounds like Apple saying "you can report this but can't say it came from us". I don't think it's a coincidence this story came out the same day 9to5Mac ran their story (which plenty of other sites picked up).

I'd love a retina mimi too. I'm just being cautious at this point. If Google can't have a good battery life, how can Apple? Unless we get IGZO.

• Reply 20 of 139
    I'd love a retina mimi too. I'm just be cautious at this point. If Google can't have a good battery life, how can Apple? Unless we get IGZO.
    Well if we don't get retina then I hope Cook gets grilled on it so he can tell us why. Because the media meme will be how can Google and Amazon release tablets with retina like displays but Apple can't.