WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 139
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well if we don't get retina then I hope Cook gets grilled on it so he can tell us why. Because the media meme will be how can Google and Amazon release tablets with retina like displays but Apple can't.

Well, he can just tell that 6 hrs. battery life is not Apple standard. Google can do whatever they please and they can always get away with it. Not Apple. Different company. Different philosophy.

• Reply 22 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Well, he can just tell that 6 hrs. battery life is not Apple standard. Google can do whatever they please and they can always get away with it. Not Apple. Different company. Different philosophy.
    Who says a retina mini would only get 6 hours battery life?
  • Reply 23 of 139
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Well if we don't get retina then I hope Cook gets grilled on it so he can tell us why. Because the media meme will be how can Google and Amazon release tablets with retina like displays but Apple can't.

this kind of reminds me of getting one's head wrapped around the axle with lack of LTE on the iPhone vs the competition.  Remember when, iPhone 4S did not come with LTE and it was not called iPhone 5?  Oh the horror.  LOL.  Nevermind that the battery life of LTE model sucked on these competitors at the time.

I think a mini Retina will be available when Apple says its ready.  I think going from 8-10 hr ---> 6 hr of battery life would not go over well and  I'd prefer to avoid a battery-gate incident. It would do more harm to the brand than good.

with iPhone 4S, they had an ace up their sleeve with Siri; and consumers went nuts.   With Mini it could be fingerprint sensor, or something else we dont expect, instead of Retina.  It could have the same effect as Siri on sales. Who knows. 

That's the thing about Apple, when competitors are predicting them to do one thing, they do something else and catch everyone by surprise. Retina is not the only innovation they have left.

• Reply 24 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »

Well, from N7 performance it seems to be the limit of today technology. Of course if Apple can top that then we all can be delighted. (But not with sacrifice on weight please)
  • Reply 25 of 139

What I love about Google's N7 (2nd gen) advertised 9 hr battery life estimate, is that this estimate is with the WiFi turned off.   Therefore, one can conclude that according to Google,  the typical use case of their tablets is no access to their services or the rest of the internet. Let that sink in for a moment.  

Maybe this explains why Tim Cook is not seeing much evidence of Android tablet use on the internet.  

• Reply 26 of 139
    andy-ukandy-uk Posts: 26member

'Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.'

I agree. If the richest company on the planet run by Tim 'Mr. Logistics' Cook can't rustle up a few high resolution displays between now and Christmas to compete in one of the hottest market segments in the world they might as well sell up and give all the money back to shareholders with a note saying, 'We had a good run under Steve, enjoy the rest of your life.'

• Reply 27 of 139
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

If the battery life won't suffer, sure. But if it will, then Apple knows what's more practical for users. 

As I said: it will just have to be a bit thicker and heavier to accommodate larger batteries. No retina - no sales. 

• Reply 28 of 139
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So, the WSJ says this will happen in the 4Q so they can write in the 4Q that Apple failed to ship it on time. I'll bet they have the second story already set in print.

Not likely.  The WSJ is hands down the highest quality journalism of any newspaper in the world. They have plenty of quality stories to publish and wouldn't waste their time concocting a story.

• Reply 29 of 139
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Except for the battery life.

Sorry, the screen's too small and it's running an OS that doesn't have a lot of great apps.  I'll stick with my iPad 4 and upgrade when it ceases to serve my purpose.  

• Reply 30 of 139
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

I think a mini Retina will be available when Apple says its ready.

I agree with most of what you said, but you have to admit that Apple failing to meet expectations on display quality is a let down.  Apple pioneered the retina-type display. Display quality is an important aspect of the quality of their devices. It would surprise me if the lagged their competitors in this regard.  The LTE issue was different because the majority of users wouldn't have had access to LTE coverage in the very early stages of deployment and the data plans were costly.  Why put something in a device that most people wouldn't be using.  In contrast, everyone could benefit from a retina display.

• Reply 31 of 139

The WSJ does write a lot of BS as far as analytics are concerned, but they do also have a pretty darn good track record of pre confirming products....

• Reply 32 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechManMike View Post

The WSJ does write a lot of BS as far as analytics are concerned, but they do also have a pretty darn good track record of pre confirming products....

Let's hope it's true then.

• Reply 33 of 139
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Who says it would be any better than the Nexus 7?

Look, the Mini currently gets 10 hours or more, weighs roughly 10 oz and it's literally pencil-thin. You'll likely sacrifice all three of those to get retina at the present time.

To get retina in the full size iPad, they had to increase the thickness a couple of mm, AND boost the weight to nearly 1.5 pounds, to accommodate the thicker screen and extra battery needed to keep battery at 10 hours. 

These go against the whole concept of the Mini… small, light, 'pocketable'… 

If and only if they can add "retina" without making it thicker and heavier AND sacrificing hours of battery life…. then yes. 

But so far, no-one has shown that to be possible. No-one ever said it WASN'T possible to put a retina display into that form factor, but as Tim Cook said, the tradeoffs are too great… 

I agree. I hope they don't blow it listening to people "demanding" retina as a higher priority than weight, thickness and battery life. It's NOT worth the tradeoff in an 8" tablet IMO!!

• Reply 34 of 139
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    The new Nexus 7 is getting rave reviews, so Apple have to include a retina display in their next iPad Mini or just look irrelevant. Doesn't matter that iPad Tablet apps are more refined than the Android ones, the Nexus 7 looks good and is priced good, so the next iPad Mini has to have some of that itself.
  • Reply 35 of 139
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

What I love about Google's N7 (2nd gen) advertised 9 hr battery life estimate, is that this estimate is with the WiFi turned off.   Therefore, one can conclude that according to Google,  the typical use case of their tablets is no access to their services or the rest of the internet. Let that sink in for a moment.  

Maybe this explains why Tim Cook is not seeing much evidence of Android tablet use on the internet.  

One of the main uses for tablet devices is as E-readers.  You don't need the WiFi turned on to read a book so it is perfectly legitimate to quote the figure with WiFi off.  I would say reading is likely to be the most likely usage scenario requiring the longest non-stop battery life.

• Reply 36 of 139
    cnocbui wrote: »
    One of the main uses for tablet devices is as E-readers.  You don't need the WiFi turned on to read a book so it is perfectly legitimate to quote the figure with WiFi off.  I would say reading is likely to be the most likely usage scenario requiring the longest non-stop battery life.
    Maybe that's typical usage for Android based devices, but its been my experience that almost no one EVER turns off their wifi on iPads except in the case where they are ordered to do so by an airline. Prove me wrong.
  • Reply 37 of 139
    snova wrote: »
    The new Nexus 7 advertises 9 Hr of battery life, in reality its more like 6. If Apple did this you know we would have a "battery-gate" and the media would go nuts.  But if Google does this, nothing....  instead we get "great price!"

So true. Google's battery test with wifi off is ridiculously unrealistic, especially since so many of their services are through the cloud. 6 hours of battery life in real world usage is pretty damn weak. The new Nexus 7 is a nice little product, but that's a glaring weakness that many reviewers are glossing right over. When it comes to these small size tablets, battery life is more important than a retina screen imo.
  • Reply 38 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Sure. Any which way that warm your heart at night, but should be stated clearly on the stage what's the exact method of the test, especially the one as unorthodox as this. you lose creditability when you try to defend something like this.

• Reply 39 of 139
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Struggling to understand how Apple can position a Retina iPad Mini, in the light of the new Nexus 7.

The received wisdom on mobile devices is that smaller = more advanced requirements for manufacturing and engineering = more expensive. New iPhones get smaller and remain expensive requiring state of the art technology for screens, batteries etc. The rumoured "cheaper" iPhones will (allegedly) cut back on the shrinking form factors to make them cheaper to make, with cheaper materials etc.

Following this path, you would expect the iPad Mini with Retina to be the premium iPad, and therefore cost more then the iPad. If they retain the current price, who will buy the 10 inch iPad? If they up the price they run into (further) unfavourable comparisons with the Nexus 7 on price? What if they then have to flip the offerings, and run the 10 inch price to compete at the low end, and push the further miniaturised Mini to the higher price point, as per with phones etc? Or will they have to offer 2 versions of the Mini, one with last years internals in and no package shrinking, just a new screen?

It's a real tricky situation, and I'm not surprised they are taking their sweet time because this is possibly the hardest time to be flip flopping the product line.
  • Reply 40 of 139
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Could this be a controlled leak by Apple to knock down the non-retina rumors? Oh how I'd love it if 9to5Mac was wrong. :D

9to5Mac = OnSwipe and Vanilla comments: yuck! I literally hate those services so much that after 6 months of continually telling 9to5 in their comments to stop using those services and not being listened to, I finally 2 weeks ago made up my mind to remove them from my bookmarks and vowed to never visit the website again. And I meant it.