WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 139
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd tend to trust Ars tests more than a reviewer at the WSJ as I'm sure you normally would too. image Ars found this new Nexus 7 to last longer on their video tests than than last years lower-resolution model.

It's irrelevant. If it lasted longer then the other two even last longer than claimed. This method is actually good because the other two devices lasted just about its advertisement.

• Reply 62 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    I don't know about a Retina mini blowing the competition away in terms on some people's views, but it would absolutely take the wind from their sails. The timing is right for a Retina mini at this point. Even if it's $399.

In my opinion the iPad lineup for this holiday season should be:

16 GB iPad mini (non-retina) $299
    32 GB iPad mini with retina display $399
    32 GB iPad with retina display $499
    64 GB iPad with retina display $599
    128 GB iPad with retina display $699

Add extra for 4G models.

This would be perfect; 2, 3, 4, 5, 6!

I think it would be a huge seller. But when the iPad got retina the price didnt go up so I'm not sure why you think a retina mini would need to be $70 more while the full size iPad price stays the same. Also there is a 64GB mini model today. Why would that go away? :\
  • Reply 63 of 139
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    When you say "only 6 hours of battery life" you make it sound as tho anyone wants to sit longer than that constantly streaming video content to their mini-tablet. :\

When Arstechnica did their battery test they constantly streamed video to their Nexis 7 for 6 straight hours before it gave up. There's not any use that would stress the battery more than that is there? I can't imagine you or anyone else actually sitting and watching 6 straight hours of video on a mini-tablet and wishing they could sit even longer.

You have to be joking?

Given Google's battery tests (Airplane mode/44% brightness) and claims of 9 hours they lied about battery life IMO. As nobody tests bettery life or uses the device that way.

Let's say you use it 6 hours, then it's at 0 battery and you are forced to charge it. So if you take it on a train or away for a day you're now forced to bring your charger, just in case. And that's if you can borrow a wall outlet and wait around for it to charge. These are major deal breakers for people who are used to the over 12 hours the mini usually gets. I know if you go to half brightness even with WiFi on the mini can exceed 14 hours.

And yes, gaming would stress the battery life much more than that. Throw up Infinity Blade and I'd say you're looking at 4 hours. This is a MAJOR deal. Good battery life on a tablet isn't just a feature anymore, it's a necessity.
  • Reply 64 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Well, from N7 performance it seems to be the limit of today technology. Of course if Apple can top that then we all can be delighted. (But not with sacrifice on weight please)
    Well here's where Apple can once again prove they're the best. And if they continue to offer a non-retina version then those who care most about battery life will have a choice. Non-retina = best battery life; retina = best display. With the Nexus 7 you have no choice.
  • Reply 65 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    It's irrelevant. If it lasted longer then the other two even last longer than claimed. This method is actually good because the other two devices lasted just about its advertisement.

Hardly irrelevant. Users weren't up in arms about last years model battery life as far as I can tell. If this one does better then I'd call that a plus not a negative. I don't see it as any big deal. If a new iPad Mini delivers a Retina-grade display but less battery life than the current Mini I don't think buyers of it will be grabbing the pitchforks.
  • Reply 66 of 139

Quote:

Hardly irrelevant. Users weren't up in arms about last years model battery life as far as I can tell. If this one does better then I'd call that a plus not a negative. I don't see it as any big deal. If a new iPad Mini delivers a Retina-grade display but less battery life than the current Mini I don't think buyers of it will be grabbing the pitchforks.

You missed the entire point, or you intentionally to.

• Reply 67 of 139
    You missed the entire point, or you intentionally to.

What was the "entire point" you think I missed? If it was that Google is wrong to mention 9 hours battery life if they're not clearly specifying that a typical service like wi-fi has to be turned off to accomplish it them you plainly didn't bother reading what I posted about it (or intentionally making believe I didn't?). If it's something else tell me what it is.

You avoided commenting whether Apple users would flock to a Retina display Mini even if it meant slightly less battery use time. What's your opinion?
  • Reply 68 of 139
    I wonder if Ming-Chi will now revise his/her forecast, to have all the minions exult over his/her great prescience come 4Q.
  • Reply 69 of 139
    hattig wrote: »
    The new Nexus 7 is getting rave reviews, so Apple have to include a retina display in their next iPad Mini or just look irrelevant. Doesn't matter that iPad Tablet apps are more refined than the Android ones, the Nexus 7 looks good and is priced good, so the next iPad Mini has to have some of that itself.

If 'rave reviews' were equal to sales, the market for tablets would look very different than it does now.
  • Reply 70 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »
    They changed thir comments section to Wordpress. I don't hate the site but ever since they got iOS 7 scoops they've become a bit arrogant.

They must have just switched, but Wordpress is a terrible choice. The website was decent 3 years ago. No longer. Disqus or death! There's no alternative.
  • Reply 71 of 139

Unbelievably disingenuous on Google's part.

Who woulda thunk!
  • Reply 72 of 139
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    The Nexus is still not going to sell better than the Kindle or iPad.

Most consumers have made up their mind and are buying Kindles and iPads in droves because they offer the best user experience and content.

Something Google just doesn't get.

The Mini will be fine whether retina or not because it is still a far batter tablet experience than the nexus.

Also this year the big iPad will be making a comeback with its new smaller form factor. I'm sure that will actually provide a halo to the iPad Mini and increase iPad sales altogether.
  • Reply 73 of 139

Quote:

What was the "entire point" you think I missed? If it was that Google is wrong to mention 9 hours battery life if they're not clearly specifying that a typical service like wi-fi has to be turned off to accomplish it them you plainly didn't bother reading what I posted about it (or intentionally making believe I didn't). If it's something else tell me what it is.

Then why go on and on and on about Anandtech? Just leave it at that. It's not about the sole new N7 battery performance. If that's the case then Google can claim it'll last 100 hours and they will still be right (if the device is turn off all the time). This is about the official spec. If the Anadtech's method got new N7 to last 8 hours but iPad mini 14 hours then what's the point? Buyers will compare official spec. They will compare new N7 battery performance with official iPad mini spec which is 10 hours, not Anandtech's. So the WSJ method is pretty good as it is.

So it's irrelevant how well new N7 perform on Anandtech because iPad mini will even perform better than from this WSJ test but no one will care because they only care about official spec.

Caprice.

• Reply 74 of 139
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Users weren't up in arms about last years model battery life as far as I can tell.

They just didn't buy it, so what there to tell?
  • Reply 75 of 139
    9to5Mac = OnSwipe and Vanilla comments: yuck! I literally hate those services so much that after 6 months of continually telling 9to5 in their comments to stop using those services and not being listened to, I finally 2 weeks ago made up my mind to remove them from my bookmarks and vowed to never visit the website again.

They aren't using Vanilla anymore. Guess they weren't happy with it either.
  • Reply 76 of 139
    They just didn't buy it, so what there to tell?
    :D Well played. . .
  • Reply 77 of 139
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Where is Solipsism when you need him? Geez, I miss that guy.....

Yea, what happened? He didn't jump to Android and Windows?
  • Reply 78 of 139
    Then why go on and on and on about Anandtech? Just leave it at that. It's not about the sole new N7 battery performance. If that's the case then Google can claim it'll last 100 hours and they will still be right (if the device is turn off all the time). This is about the official spec. If the Anadtech's method got new N7 to last 8 hours but iPad mini 14 hours then what's the point? Because buyers will compare official spec. They will compare new N7 battery performance with official iPad mini spec which is 10 hours, not Anandtech's. So the WSJ method is pretty good as it is.
    Caprice.

Hmmm. And you think I didn't comment on that? Read again sir, I didn't miss it.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/158820/wsj-ipad-mini-with-samsung-sourced-retina-display-likely-coming-in-q4/40#post_2371897
    "With all that said if Google is advertising up to 9 hours battery use but not noting that it;s with typical services like wi-fi turned off it's not being as forthcoming as they should. I don't like that."
  • Reply 79 of 139
    So true. Google's battery test with wifi off is ridiculously unrealistic, especially since so many of their services are through the cloud. 6 hours of battery life in real world usage is pretty damn weak. The new Nexus 7 is a nice little product, but that's a glaring weakness that many reviewers are glossing right over. When it comes to these small size tablets, battery life is more important than a retina screen imo.

It's not just more important. It's absolutely crucial.
  • Reply 80 of 139

Quote:

"With all that said if Google is advertising up to 9 hours battery use but not noting that it;s with typical services like wi-fi turned off it's not being as forthcoming as they should. I don't like that."

I missed it? I replied "no 'if' now", didn't I? If you don't understand then just get back and read.

Read the whole thing again.. carefully and slowly.