WSJ: iPad mini with Samsung-sourced Retina display likely coming in Q4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139

If the Mini is selling for $249, I'll buy 2.

• Reply 82 of 139
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another reason I think this was an Apple leak: too coincidental that it comes out the same day as the Moto X announcement.
  • Reply 83 of 139
    ireland wrote: »
    It's not just more important. It's absolutely crucial.
    And that's why Apple offers two versions - one retina and one non-retina.
  • Reply 84 of 139
    If 'rave reviews' were equal to sales, the market for tablets would look very different than it does now.
    iPad mini got rave reviews.
  • Reply 85 of 139
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I missed it? I replied "no 'if' now", didn't I? If you don't understand then just get back and read.
    Read the whole thing again.. carefully and slowly.

"I. Don't. Like. That."
  • Reply 86 of 139
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I think you're wrong. Battery life, screen area, build quality, iOS iPad App Store ecosystem. All these factors make a 32GB iPad mini with IGZO Retina Display worth $399.

32g retina mini at $400 maybe. but the small tablet space is price sensitive, they need a 16g model at 300 or $330 tops.  And Apple needs to change its $100 per 16g, with current prices on SSD its getting to obvious you are getting rip off.

That being said, the could get away with a 16g retina at $350 IF its using IGZO panels, that would mean the new mini battery life would be something in the 15 to 20 hours range if they tweaked iOS refresh method. That has some value.

IGZO panels and tweaked screen refresh would put Apple back on top in terms of innovation.

• Reply 87 of 139
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hardly irrelevant. Users weren't up in arms about last years model battery life as far as I can tell. If this one does better then I'd call that a plus not a negative. I don't see it as any big deal. If a new iPad Mini delivers a Retina-grade display but less battery life than the current Mini I don't think buyers of it will be grabbing the pitchforks.
    They will grab pitchforks when the cheap flash memory craps out again and the battery fails to hold a charge after 6 months of usage. Google cuts corners on hardware plain and simple!!!
  • Reply 88 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »
    iPad mini got rave reviews.

Huh?
  • Reply 89 of 139
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    oao7 wrote: »
    I wonder if the price will vary with the new screen

You mean like the way the price varied for every other iOS device that went from non-Retina to Retina...?
    :rolleyes:
  • Reply 90 of 139
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    I think what they found in the code is the ipad mini 1, tweaked for ios7 and repackage in color plastic shells. It doesnt means they wont also be an ipad mini with retina. So 2 new models.

Herb, where are you getting this plastic back rumor from? I asked you in the other thread when you mentioned it.
  • Reply 91 of 139
    poksi wrote: »
    Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.

:no:

What are you talking about? The 9.7" iPad is insanely popular and is the #1 competitor for the iPad mini. It is due for a major refresh, and Apple has been preparing one that is very exciting.

Keep in mind, the next 9.7" iPad is going to have a design similar to the iPad mini....meaninging overall volume is going to be substantially reduced. Very light, much thinner and slimmer in the bezel...

In short, it is going to be strikingly similar to the iPad mini in all of the good ways....but it also carriers a 9.7" Retina Display.

Now go and tell me that Apple plans to introduce a refreshed mini........with Retina display....at the same time.
    :no:
    Not going to happen.
  • Reply 92 of 139
    If the Mini is selling for $249, I'll buy 2.

Ebay has 'em.
  • Reply 93 of 139
    They will grab pitchforks when the cheap flash memory craps out again and the battery fails to hold a charge after 6 months of usage. Google cuts corners on hardware plain and simple!!!

The "cheap memory" claim came from someone's imagination. As it turns out it was simply software, corrected with the latest version of Android already rolled out to those old Nexus 7's. Reportedly the battery use time has been improved with the new 4.3x update too.
  • Reply 94 of 139
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well if we don't get retina then I hope Cook gets grilled on it so he can tell us why. Because the media meme will be how can Google and Amazon release tablets with retina like displays but Apple can't.

:lol: Can you explain to why the iPad mini has sold so well to date? Being the first NEW iOS device introduced without a Retina Display since iPad 2?
  • Reply 95 of 139
    Also if you have time, clue me in as to "who" precisely gives a crap what internet joke Apple falls under this week?
  • Reply 96 of 139

It'll be a gem! :)

• Reply 97 of 139
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Nope. another iPad mini with non-retina display is more stupid idea than heavier and thicker model with IPS 326dpi display. Thanks god, Apple knows that.

You can say that, and all things considered it may indeed be a bad idea, but it's also a very bad idea to not have a new iPad mini this year, so if they really are having problems with the screen then it's almost a certainty that they will come out with a non-Retina one instead. 

• Reply 98 of 139
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He is a super fanboy, but he definitely has a point there.

I don't like Gruber much but I disagree that he is a "fanboy."  

A fanboy is supposed to be like a true believer or a "member of the cult" sort of speak, meaning that their opinions are irrational and not necessarily based on anything factual.  He's actually a smart guy and I have yet to see him say anything about Apple or Apple's products that isn't based in hard fact and actually quite easy to back up with same.  He also constantly post retractions and corrections when he is wrong. When he gets opinionated about stuff it's usually along the lines of "I really prefer this,"or "look at this great design."  These are not the words of a rabid fanboy.  

The only time I've seen him get truly irrational is when he makes the odd statement that has a homophobic or misogynistic kind of tinge to it like when he had that rant about the CNET journalist that changed genders, or when he pops off about some "asshole" journalist but does it in true asshole fashion himself. None of that has anything to do with his Apple reporting though and they are rare occurrences.  That's just his own personal baggage. 

• Reply 99 of 139
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't like Gruber much but I disagree that he is a "fanboy."  

A fanboy is supposed to be like a true believer or a "member of the cult" sort of speak, meaning that their opinions are irrational and not necessarily based on anything factual.  He's actually a smart guy and I have yet to see him say anything about Apple or Apple's products that isn't based in hard fact and actually quite easy to back up with same.  He also constantly post retractions and corrections when he is wrong. When he gets opinionated about stuff it's usually along the lines of "I really prefer this,"or "look at this great design."  These are not the words of a rabid fanboy.  

The only time I've seen him get truly irrational is when he makes the odd statement that has a homophobic or misogynistic kind of tinge to it like when he had that rant about the CNET journalist that changed genders, or when he pops off about some "asshole" journalist but does it in true asshole fashion himself. None of that has anything to do with his Apple reporting though and they are rare occurrences.  That's just his own personal baggage. 

I hate the term "Fanboy", can't people get off that word and just the word "USER", like it should.    I may use Apple products and like using them, but I don't always agree with everything Apple does.   If I was an Android user, I would certainly be upset that the Android OEMs don't always upgrade the OS to the latest version and there isn't consistency between devices.  To me, that's a BIG deal.  Even Microsoft doesn't play that game where each OEM is able to modify the OS to that extent.  Oh well, I guess kids growing up today have no IT business sense anymore and all they care about is FREE apps, customization, rooting their system and sideloading apps and getting Google Glass to look REAL stupid in public places.  That's all they seem to care about.   Oh well, I'm hoping they will grow up, but unfortunately, most of them won't.

• Reply 100 of 139
    drblank wrote: »
    I hate the term "Fanboy", can't people get off that word and just the word "USER", like it should.    I may use Apple products and like using them, but I don't always agree with everything Apple does.   If I was an Android user, I would certainly be upset that the Android OEMs don't always upgrade the OS to the latest version and there isn't consistency between devices.  To me, that's a BIG deal.  Even Microsoft doesn't play that game where each OEM is able to modify the OS to that extent.  Oh well, I guess kids growing up today have no IT business sense anymore and all they care about is FREE apps, customization, rooting their system and sideloading apps and getting Google Glass to look REAL stupid in public places.  That's all they seem to care about.   Oh well, I'm hoping they will grow up, but unfortunately, most of them won't.

Oh, that's much better than using fanboy (which I hate too). Instead of Android users juist call them all stupid looking kids with no business sense who need to grow up but never will. :\