Netflix launches multi-user accounts on iOS, Apple TV, other platforms

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Netflix on Thursday rolled out a long-awaited feature to its iOS and Apple TV apps, allowing subscribers to maintain separate profiles for individual users sharing one account.

Netflix
Netflix's new multi-user profile feature, as seen on Sony PlayStation 3, is also available for Apple TV and iOS.

Subscribers will be able to add up to five profiles for each account they own. Profiles will receive unique personalized suggestions based on viewing habits and ratings.

More importantly, those individual accounts will each have their own Instant Queue and Recently Watched lists. For example, parents will no longer have to share a queue with their children, or even spouses with each other, if they so choose.

Each personal profile can also be attached to a different Facebook account, allowing for personalized suggestions from that individual's friends on the social networking site.

Netflix has promised that the new user profiles will roll out to iPad, iPhone and Apple TV "over the next few days." Other devices set to receive support in the immediate future are Sony's PlayStation 3, Microsoft's Xbox 360, and newer Smart TV and Blu-ray players. Support for Nintendo Wii and Android has been promised to arrive "soon."

User profiles first began appearing on the Apple TV set-top box earlier this week as part of a test run. That roll-out coincidentally happened after the launch of a new Apple TV software beta, leading some to incorrectly assume the two were related. Current Apple TV owners will receive the feature without needing to run a pre-release beta.

Competition in the mobile streaming space is heating up, with Google's newly released $35 Chromecast dongle offering users the ability to stream content from an iPhone or Android device directly to their TV. While less fully featured than the Apple TV, the device is available at about a third of the price.

The price of a refurbished Apple TV direct from Apple also hit a new low this week, and is now available for just $75, knocking 25 percent off the cost of a new model. A new Apple TV software update, expected to arrive this fall, will also give users the ability to purchase music directly from the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Not seeing this yet, and I've literally been stalking Netflix news for weeks waiting for this feature. Life is tough with a 2 year old that loves the iPad & Netflix...and parent's that occasionally like to see something too that is not Y-rated.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    What about programs two or more people watch?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Does this mean they are now limiting the number of people sharing the Netflix subscription ?

I have few members that use my account across the country. I have heard Netflix is aware this happens and for now they are okay with it. Just curious if they are now implementing this process to disable this behavior.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    pmz wrote: »
    Not seeing this yet, and I've literally been stalking Netflix news for weeks waiting for this feature. Life is tough with a 2 year old that loves the iPad & Netflix...and parent's that occasionally like to see something too that is not Y-rated.

Nearly as bad for me living with a wife that loves chick flicks! I have to dig deep to find the Action and Sci Fi suggestions beneath all the tear filled crap! LOL
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

Does this mean they are now limiting the number of people sharing the Netflix subscription ?

I have few members that use my account across the country. I have heard Netflix is aware this happens and for now they are okay with it. Just curious if they are now implementing this process to disable this behavior.

LOL, that's not ok.

You can subscribe to the "Family Plan" for 11.99, if you want.

• Reply 6 of 18
    Is there a way to flush out the Recently Watched data so I can stop seeing suggestions for all the Disney Channel shows that my daughter watches?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheesehead Dave View Post

Is there a way to flush out the Recently Watched data so I can stop seeing suggestions for all the Disney Channel shows that my daughter watches?

Yes, go online on their website and edit the viewing profile (what you have rated). You can change or remove ratings there on a profile.

• Reply 8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

LOL, that's not ok.

You can subscribe to the "Family Plan" for 11.99, if you want.

my guess is this will evolve to a cap of devices (the rough estimate would be  3 (phone/pad, PC, TV/STB)  per profile entry, or 15 per account).     The best way to do that is have the base fee (single person, single profile, 5 devices), family (5 profiles, 15), and PLAN plus X (2.99 per month for above add'l profiles and 3 more devices for that profile, or $1.99 for more devices  for a single or family plan).

Netflix will need to  show more profits eventually.   To allow someone to share an account is great marketing  (first taste is free), and processing one CC number is cheaper than 4 or 5 for a lower $ amount.   But eventually, they will need to show accelerating profit growth, not just download growth, to satisfy investors.

• Reply 9 of 18
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

If anyone hasn't seen the Netflix Original "Orange is the new Black"- I highly recommend it.  Great television.  Comedy/Drama

• Reply 10 of 18
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I just signed up for streaming and (finally!) dropped my DVD plan.  Like many I suppose, it just didn't work with two or more people sharing a queue, but this will help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephanJobs View Post

I'm not sure that's exactly kosher.  I can tell you the $7.99 plan lets you "watch on up to 2 devices at the same time" while the $11.99 plan covers "up to 4 devices at the same time".  IIRC, I'm pretty sure a plan covers up to five devices, max, but don't quote me on that.

• Reply 11 of 18

For anyone who already has this rolled out, are the parental controls settings per-profile or global?  Thanks.

• Reply 12 of 18
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member

Awesome. Now for the love of God can Facebook please do the same thing?!

• Reply 13 of 18
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Finally. Now I don't have to worry about my son accidentally seeing one of the sapphic scenes from Orange is the new Black.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    According to Netflix Help rep to whom I just talked, it's a gradual rollout over the next 2-10 weeks. So not available today for majority of users.
  • Reply 15 of 18

From a post in a similar thread over on MR: "Visit https://movies.netflix.com/EditProfiles while logged in to Netflix to set up profiles on your account."

From what I can see, the only profile option available is a checkbox that says: "This is a profile for kids under 12".

• Reply 16 of 18

Just in case anyone else was wondering...

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

From what I can see, the only profile option available is a checkbox that says: "This is a profile for kids under 12".

It will enforce parental controls after a fashion, in that an "under 12" profile can't watch an R-rated movie.  But I didn't see anything that would prevent a kid from simply choosing an adult's profile.

So in my case, it looks like the global parental controls would still need to be in place.

• Reply 17 of 18

is it out yet?  Mine says: Your Apple TV us up-to-date

• Reply 18 of 18
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

It's your profile that needs to be updated - not the apps.