masking ethernet address

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
a quick question. does anyone know how to mask the ethernet address in mac os x? or know of a utility to mask/change the ethernet/hardware address?

[ 02-19-2003: Message edited by: ttdonovan ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    You can't do it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Is there any software program for mac os x that can mask your ethernet address? the only reason that i ask is that my isp uses the mac address for access to the the internet and i dont have an extra router at this moment.

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: ttdonovan ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    You can't do it. (Unless they fixed the kernel bug in a recent update.)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by ttdonovan:

<strong>the only reason that i ask is that my isp uses the mac address for access to the the internet and i dont have an extra router at this moment.</strong><hr></blockquote>

...and? What's the problem? You think the MAC address is a privacy problem?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Its not a privacy problem. The problem is when I want to go vist home occasionaly, I would like to connect my ibook to the internet without using a router. I have two router and they are both at school. And I believe that my isp at home uses the mac address to connect computers to their network, and i would like to mask my ibooks address to match the pc that is connect. but its not that important just hoping there was some way to do it. thanks for all your time.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by ttdonovan:

<strong>Its not a privacy problem. The problem is when I want to go vist home occasionaly, I would like to connect my ibook to the internet without using a router. I have two router and they are both at school. And I believe that my isp at home uses the mac address to connect computers to their network, and i would like to mask my ibooks address to match the pc that is connect. but its not that important just hoping there was some way to do it. thanks for all your time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmmm good question idea... a quick MAC spoof so you dont have to re-register with your ISP. Well all those cheap-o routers out there can do it so why cant we? I'd be willing to bet your left testicle (or mamary ) that there is some software for this purpose... commencing search...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie:

<strong>

that there is some software for this purpose... commencing search...</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://slagheap.net/etherspoof/"; target="_blank">http://slagheap.net/etherspoof/</a>;

You don't need dhcp anyway. Use your pc's address as a static ip. You have to rebuild the kernel.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by wmf:

<strong>You can't do it. (Unless they fixed the kernel bug in a recent update.)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I wasn't aware it was a bug, just that MAC spoofing was a kernel compile time option. Doesn't really make a difference though since there's no way for an average joe to grab the specific Darwin 6.x kernel source. The publc CVS isn't going to help, afaik.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by 123:

<strong>

You have to rebuild the kernel.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't rebuilding the kernel risky under OS X?

Under Linux maybe... but OS X?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I wasn't aware it was a bug, just that MAC spoofing was a kernel compile time option. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You can use ifconfig to change the MAC address, but it causes a kernel panic. This is obviously a bug.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    could you please tell me how you use the ifconfig in the kernel?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe

I warn you, this causes a kernel panic.

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: wmf ]</p>